Dennis Technology Labs Q3 report

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

2. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

3. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

I take these tests into consideration when choosing my AV, but certainly not the only requisite for settling on one.

What do you believe in, if I may ask?

4. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Maybe you don't, and maybe I take them with a grain of salt, but surely you can't be speaking for everyone! All one has to do is follow the discourse on Wilders following the results of one of these tests to know better. :D

5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

if you do not care, you might be misplaced at Wilders (but somehow you seem to care, as you took the time to post a reply). ;)
    anyway I do not think that you can speak on behalf of every single Wilders members, so just ignore the posts that are of no interest for you personally.

6. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

You obviously do.

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Good find.

Thanks IBK.

The different test results and the resulting discussions are one of the best things about Wilders.

8. IBK

IBK AV Expert

exactly. one can build an opinion only by having a broad view and various sources. that's also why we even list various other labs on our website.

9. malexous

malexous Registered Member

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Dennis? Let me guess ..Norton won :D ..or they put it close to Kaspersky to simulate a reliable testing methodology..

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I wish those who tend to ridicule these tests would perform their own tests and publish the results.
    How about it Marcuso_O?

Best,
    Jerry

12. malexous

malexous Registered Member

You type it as if they do not win the equivalent AV-Test test or won the equivalent AV-Comparatives test when they participated.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

14. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Nice to see ESET right there up with Kaspersky. I didn't expect that :cool:

15. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

It won't be Wednesday morning (later than now, UK time), in V1.1 of the report!

Thanks for letting me know :)

Cheers,
    Simon

16. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

nope this time nortons did not win they did not even take top honors. maybe they will soon wake up. i stopped selling and promoting their stuff a while back and never looked back. but i am glad to see for once they did not win a dennis labs test at least to me it shows a bit of merit now to this test vs norton always winning, or a tie or them still getting the top score.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Any particular reasons for not including Avira in these tests?

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Seems like Bitdefender had a bad score because it required too much user interaction. :rolleyes:

20. Macstorm

Yes, Dennis sent it to the bottom, contrary to what other "testers" found. Curious to say the least..

With only nine products tested, maybe they had enough of Bitdefender in their "exclusive" club.

21. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

Noob is partially right, in that the BitDefender product suffered in the ratings due to poor accuracy with legitimate software. It blocked five per cent of the legitimate applications without giving the user a chance to allow the programs. It also recommended that the user block a further three legitimate applications.

Because we take prevalence into account, if a product blocks something popular then it loses more points than if it blocks something obscure. That is why BitDefender Internet Security 2013's 'Total accuracy rating' is lower than some of the other products.

But it did not suffer purely for too much user interaction. It suffered mainly because it completely blocked some popular software without interaction! I'd also add, for Macstorm's benefit, that it was not sent to the bottom in any area. Its 'Protection Score' was excellent (97%) and its Protection Rating was very good (256/300). In terms of Total Accuracy Rating, it achieved a B award and beat products from Microsoft, Trend Micro and McAfee. By any definition that is not being "sent to the bottom".

All tested products were given the same legitimate software, as you would expect in a fair test.

Best wishes,
    Simon

EDITED for minor punctuation issue...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yes, nice to see them do well. I may install the new v7 release after I upgrade to Windows 8.1 tomorrow. :thumb:

23. Macstorm

Then I'm afraid we are looking at different reviews. In yours I see that Bitdefender was sent down to last "B" group along with MSE and TrendMicro. This awarding system (AAA, AA & B ...and not even a letter for the Norton's rival, McAfee) is ultimately what novices and end users look at "first", people that can easily get "manipulated". I mean, Bitdefender, the current "champion of the world" (for AV-Test, AV-Comp and others) being "defeated" by Norton, AVG, Avast & Eset o_O
    In the other hand, in your "Protection Rating" (spreaded all over your report) you rank Norton as the second best above the rest and just behind the top dog Kaspersky, well... And yes, I guess it's all explained in all the mumbo-jumbo written in the report.

Anyway, in the meantime I'll keep polishing my seer skills.

PS. I just noticed I find myself defending Bitdefender which I don't like a bit as product!

24. Macstorm

I'm afraid that "new kids in town" are not allowed in this club :D

25. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Nice test!

Thank you.

As usually MSE has 0 FP. And Kaspersky the highest protection.

Why there's no COMODO? It would be interesting to look at its ratings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.