ShadowProtect 5 Desktop Question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by HAN, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

The last version of SP I have is 3.5. I have only used the cold imaging Windows PE based boot disc to create and restore images.

I am aware that sometime after 3.5 or 4 came out, Microsoft changed their licensing of Windows PE.

So, my question is, now that SP supports Windows 8, can I still download an a PE based ISO of SP 5? If not, is cold imaging even available?

BTW, does Windows 8 support include Secure Boot compatibility? I saw UEFI noted as supported but nothing mentioned regarding Secure Boot?

TIA

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think the answer is yes and no. I don't know if the Winpe download is still available, but there is another recovery environment, I think it's called cross platform. I have a Win 7x64 machine with a UEFI mother board and it's the only one that works, and yes you can cold image with it.

Pete

3. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

What do you mean "the only one that works"? Care to explain a bit what others that did not work? I thought the boot cd of any decent program should be able to do the cold imaging without a problem.

4. Peter2150

Apparently not the WinPE 32bit disk. Booted but didn't see any disks.

5. oliverjia

Oh yes, you are right, such as Active Boot Disk. It's a shame they still does not support UEFI/Secureboot.

6. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

SP Recovery Environment ISO Download

I have posted some screenshots of how to download the ISO..but i think you need to have v5 Product key for SP to download...Here is the download link for SP Recovery Environment ISO..
    RE builder for WinPE is for 32-bit only...64-bit option is not available.

http://www.storagecraft.com/software_update.php
    1.Click the Rec ISO option
    SPREC1.jpg

2.Input your Product key

SPREC2.jpg

3.Scroll down and accept the agreement

SPREC3.jpg

4.Download the Crossplatform ISO/RE builder for WinPE.

SPREC4.jpg

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

8. oliverjia

9. Robin A.

I hadn´t noticed that the Recovery Environment was 32 bit. This means that to boot it in an UEFI system you must use legacy mode, which implies that Secure Boot must be disabled. Strange.

10. savalnc

savalnc Registered Member

Is there a way to download the ISO recovery without having the V5 key? Thanks

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Renewed my license and downloaded the Cross Platform 64 bit version. Used it to create a full disk image on my Samsung Win 7 laptop.

To say I am shocked is an under statement! Unbelievably slow! Maybe it's because it is Linux and not Windows PE. But what took Clonezilla 38 minutes was still not finished in Shadow Protect after an hour and a half.

If the issue is Linux, why is Clonezilla able to run so well under it?

Also, tried booting Shadow Protect Cross Platform on a Secure Boot machine. No go! (Although this doesn't surprise me as this is rare at this point in time. )

I have been such a fan of Shadow Protect. I'm very unhappy!

12. Robin A.

SP has never been free ...
    Each version of Linux behaves differently. It may be because of the drivers used.

13. oliverjia

The latest test version of ubuntu based clonezilla x64 already support secure boot. most other major imaging programs such as Acronis, Macrium, Paragon, o&o diskimage, Image for Linux, even free ones such as AOMEI backupper, all support secure boot. It's a shame that SP lags behind the game.

14. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Can we test their boot cd our our system before to go buy it at a prohobitive price ?
    ...without first needing the KEY, like it was with their preciding versions...
    If yes, can you tell us the address.

Not that I need it myself, just curious.

15. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

16. Peter2150

Yes you can.

-http://www.storagecraft.com/downloads/fullevaluation.php-

17. prius04

You should visit the the SC forum and either submit a feature request or vote for an existing one.

18. oliverjia

unfortunately, these features are long overdue to be present in SP. It's their problem, either laziness or incompetence to produce a working product for new hardware features that were out over a year ago. The customers will most likely just turn to other product instead of begging SP to add such features.
    In the end, SP will have to pay for their stupidity.

19. ruinebabine

Thanks Peter. Good to know it's always available.

I connot use it myself (I would have to ease my security setting a bit before to go), because it keeps giving me "Locked : form can't be submitted"

Anyway, don't need it, so I will simply pass this addy to those I know who want to give it a free try...

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/723258Clipboard01.png

20. prius04

@oliverjia,

I am in no way disagreeing with any of the statements set forth in your post.

My suggestion was strictly limited to SP licensees, and any other interested parties, who would like to see the feature discussed in this thread added to SP.

In that respect, ANYONE of like mind should visit the link below and vote. Even if you're not an SP user, you can easily set up an account and cast your vote.

http://www.storagecraft.com/support/feature-request/uefi-cd-recovery-environment-0

21. savalnc

Thanks. I requested the evaluation and downloaded both CrossPlatform and RE builder iso's. I used the builder and created the PE disk with ADK kit. It is a full version and no need to put a key. I think its trial only for desktop installation. :thumb:

22. ruinebabine

Do we first need to install the program/demo before to build the iso/cd ? Because I think the program is not compatible when used together with AX64 that I'm using now (but the use of the boot-cd is no problem btw)...

Thanks for any info.

23. Peter2150

IF you are thinking you can just use the what you built and never pay, I think your are going to be disappointed. It's only when you download and build it using the key that you get an unrestricted CD.

Pete

24. savalnc

No, I didn't install the demo version of the program. I only installed the ADK kit and the ReBuilder, then I made a bootable ISO using the same ReBuilder.

So now I have both CrossPlatform Boot CD and WinPE 4 (x86) CD.

25. savalnc

Thanks. Actually I just wanted to try it first before I can buy it. Can you please tell me what are the restrictions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.