Support Me Scam

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by xxr32RT, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxr32RT

xxr32RT Registered Member

Hello good people. I messaging on my friend's behalf since he doesn't have any way to do it himself. He was naive enough to fall for the SupportMe scam.

I assume everyone here knows what it is but in case you don't let me know and I will provide you with a thorough explanation.

He said that he entered the site Support.Me and entered a number that let them control the computer and download a Remote Control software. When they asked him to purchase anti virus software he felt that it was very fishy because they were very aggressive in the manner which they spoke to him. Once he threatened calling the police, they said that they will disable his internet connection and his computer will not function. He panicked and disconnected fro the internet and had to POWER shut down the computer since they gained control over it. It looks like he was seconds away from falling over the ledge and that he got out in time before any damage was inflicted on his system or personal information.

He wanted to know if he still has to change ALL of his passwords and banking information even though they didn't reach this stage yet. This happened 4 days ago and still nothing happened to any of his accounts so maybe he is safe? Additionally he wants to know if he needs to go into his router's address and change something there because they disabled his secure wireless connection, as in took off the password he set an he wants to know if any other computers that were on the network are in danger, he said that microsoft told him that it's only his computer but he didn't trust their answer.

Also he asked if he should reset is MBR with the FIXMBR command and if it's a risky thing to do and what could happen if it back fires.

He had hundreds of questions I cannot mention all of them here. Generally he wanted to know what is the best set of actions he has to complete in order to feel safe and is it ok to transfer all of the files from that computer to his External HDD? or are they infected?

I know I wrote a lot and it might be a bit messy but I am late for work and he is driving me insane and I don't have the right answers for him.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. xxr32RT

Thank you for the reply. I showed it to him and although we both agree it is very helpful, he said that he already did what is written on Microsoft's website. He wanted an answer to his other questions. The more specific ones, for example: Does this mean that every computer on the wireless network was affected by the attack? Microsoft said that it is only the one that had the Malware installed on it, then again how did they disable the wireless password?

If anyone can help we appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Don't know how much good it will do but the people at these two forums have experts in the field. Both can help with any questions your friend may have and help to remove any malware those bandits may have left behind.. ;)

Geeks To Go..

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

Tech Support Guy..

http://forums.techguy.org/

Hope this helps..:thumb:

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One other key point here. Teach him to image his system and do it frequently. If he had a current image he could just restore it and that would save a lot of grief.

Pete

6. xxr32RT

Thank you everyone for the involvement. Just a few last things we really wanted to know.

Is it necessary to FIXMBR?
    Is it dangerous?
    What are the pros and cons of going into MBR?

Are other computers on the same network in danger?

Lastly, they did take off the wireless network password. Does that mean they infiltrated the network? What steps are necessary if they did?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.