Webroot SecureAnywhere FW Question

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Cruise, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I don't see how I can selectively manage my outbound connections with this FW ...or is that capability not provided? o_O

Cruise

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Microsoft has introduced certain restrictions in Win 8 and Win 8.1 which made WSA fw having limitations on those OS. Joe and his team are working and will find a workaround for sure :thumb:......if there is any.

WSA.png

WSA2.png

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  4. fax

fax Registered Member

In simple words, you can't on WIN8 as already explained above :)

5. micafighter

micafighter Registered Member

You can, but u have to use the Win firewall. And as far as I know Joe doesn't working on it unfortunately. He says there is very little demand for it. Btw I read it here in wilders, he posted this in one of the prevx topics. But I hope u are right and he changed his mind.

6. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, indeed on the win side :thumb:

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Really? Well I thought it was a difficult and time consuming process of finding out a workaround and as the release of the new 2014 version was due the Webroot team was very busy with that. If Joe and his team are not working on it just because he thinks there is very little demand for it, then it will be no problem. We'll gather enough votes in no time for the team to start working on it again.:D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  8. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback guys -- much obliged.

Cruise

9. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We may consider adding this in the future, but it is a highly technical feature which really isn't required for users, so we've been focused on more relevant security changes.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I think it's a very useful feature to users. I've opened a thread in the Webroot forum for voting. I hope it'll help change your mind to add the feature again.:)

11. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

If I understand the context of your statement correctly, I beg to differ with that position...

In the event that malware finds its way into a system/network, blocking outgoing traffic helps to contain the damage by preventing the malware from contacting a remote server. Legitimate software can be tricked (by malware) into setting up outgoing connections which can then be used to further compromise a system.

For a home system I actually prefer a software firewall that asks the user if they wish to allow a program that is trying to make an outbound connection to do so and 'learns' the user's response. I consider the user to be the ultimate judge, and not some heuristic evaluation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

This is already done by WSA... what is missing is the possibility for users to customise these controls.

13. micafighter

micafighter Registered Member

Okay, so to get things straight: Webroot still has all its features in Win 8 and up. The only thing missing is the ability to manually set processes to "allow" and "block", and a few firewall related settings (i might post pics later, win7 vs win8/8.1 settings). This is due to changes in Windows 8. In Win 7, you still have these settings.

I totally understand Joe. They have to work by priority. I think this is on their to-do list, but this has a low priority, because you can still do manual "allow" and "block" in the Windows firewall interface, and there is always something with a higher priority.

On the other hand, it would be nice to get back the missing settings at least. Namely: N?vtelen.jpg

These are very useful settings that are missing in Win 8 and up.

Please post a link somewhere here on wilders, i found it on wr community and i gave kudos, but it will be easier for others if there is a link and they don't have tu search, if they are interested :)

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay. I'll start a separate thread here to allow more exposure to the voting as a single post in this thread may get not get the attention of all who are interested.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.