Web Scanner bad definition updates today? Clients can't hit the web unless disable

Discussion in 'ESET Endpoint Products' started by YeOldeStonecat, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Getting slammed by phone calls left and right from different clients all over the place today, "Can't get to the internet!!!"

After spending some time remoted into 1...found if I disabled the web filter in Eset EEA v5, BAM...they can surf the 'net.

Hoping some "fixed" definitions are released soon. Disabling the web filter for 4 hours on people.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have not heard of any issues with a bad update. Are you still experiencing a problem?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    End of afternoon yesterday, or last night, or this morning...definition updates seem to have cleared it up....rig I"m on right now has defs 8462 and it is now fine. It was not yesterday.
    Seems to only have affected clients still running Windows XP.
    My clients are on v5 EEA.
    Yesterday when they were affected, if I went to Disable the web access protection...web surfing worked. Enable it...web surfing stopped. Disable it..worked. Enable it..stopped. I walked several different clients on several different separate networks on different ISPs through those steps several times yesterday, across multiple computers at each client...could 100% reproduce those behaviors. Also posted on another tech forum and some other techs reported the same thing...clients called with no web surfing, they had them disable web access...clients could surf.

Must have been a quickly released definition sets you guys released that fixed the issue sometime later in the afternoon yesterday (my time is EST in the US).

4. agoretsky

Hello,

No one else seems to have reported an issue, so I'm not sure what might have happened. I have been in touch with our engineers about this, though, just in case there is some kind of subtle issue that only expresses itself in certain circumstances.

In case it happens again, we'll want copies of configurations, the .DAT files from an affected PC or two as well as ESET SysInspector logs at a minimum. Packet captures and memory dumps may be helpful as well.

Also, please give us a call so we can begin troubleshooting it immediately. In the United States and Canada, you can reach ESET toll-free at +1 (866) 343-3738.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I assume the Home edition of ESET products would have been affected too (ESS) as the database is the same afaik, and just FYI I was browsing the whole afternoon/and evening yesterday on a PC running XP SP3 and I had no issues what so ever, and I think I got 3 VSD updates during that time and non was faulty.

6. pcwc

pcwc Registered Member

We had the same problem yesterday.

7. agoretsky

Hello,

Can you tell me a little more, such as which programs were affected, their versions, and how you determined and resolved the issue?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Maybe it could have been caused by a module update? Just only a wild guess, nothing more than that.
    I got on 17 June 2013 several module updates.
    (no, as far as I know, I didn't get problems on NOD32 home edition)

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I have seen new PCU changes of late based on my saved system information. Although my 4x version no longer actively logs them.

These changes don't appear to be of any consequence. These suggestions only apply to this post.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Note: the below solution has to be cleared by ESET Staff before proceeding.
    There is a facility to roll back bad virus signatures updates in the event one or more do not work in your situation.

How do I rollback virus signature database updates on ESET business products?
    (5.x)
    Via ERAC you may rollback your VSD:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3008

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.