Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. cdressel

cdressel Registered Member

Hi Isso,
    I was afraid of that. Before, I wasn't too sure what a "bare metal restore" was.
    My trial period expires in 9 days and I'm not too sure I want to purchase it until I can play with it and the GPT partitioning a little.
    Is there any way around this?
    Thanks.
    Chuck

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Fad,

Please see the screen shot, you need the third option called, "WinPE". From the extracted folder (directory) pick the Boot.win file and then give it a name you like. I keep the extracted folder (directory) on a different partition.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Attached Files:

3. aladdin

Hi Brian,

I still don't see a need to make a recovery CD/DVD/USB in advance, if one has more than one computer.

Also, formatting the computer once a while is not only good for soul but registry and other remnants too.

Best regards,

Mohamed

4. Fad

Fad Registered Member

Mohamed, thankyou for that information ! :thumb:

5. speedbump

speedbump Registered Member

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for your thoughtful recommendations. I do have a good file backup program that I use at the end of the day (Argentum) to backup important files on Both C and D partitions, but I make a lot of changes during the day and Argentum, while fairly fast, is a lot slower than just taking snapshots with RBRX. I have used RBRX for several years and plan to continue using it until AX64 is able to monitor both partitions. Meanwhile, I plan to use both apps together, but I need to have my question answered about the MBR before I install AX64 (see post #1866). Perhaps, you, Isso, Carfal, or Froggie could answer it for me?

Thanks and regards,
    sb

6. aladdin

Hi sb,

Basically, RBRX modifies the MBR. If you restore MBR with any imaging programs or do Windows repair, you break RBRX.

This is what RBRX does:

1. It modifies the MBR.
    2. It turns off the system protection (restore).
    3. It renames the winre.win to winre.dat. Even on uninstall it doesn't return it back to it normal name. I believe v10 of RBRX does, but I am not sure.
    4. It moves the pagefile.sys to a partition, which is not under RBRX.
    5. It turns off the TRIM, basically destroying your SSD.

And, many more. Basically, a nasty program which is marketed by a very unethical company. They even lie to you that the TRIM is on under RBRX.

Best regards,

Mohamed

7. Isso

Isso Developer

Carfal,

Thank you very much for your constant support! :thumb:

Isso

8. Isso

Isso Developer

newbino,

Thank you for the idea, it's quite possible, but I would prefer to not use such type of hacks. However if the community really wants it we can implement it.

Isso

9. Isso

Isso Developer

atomomega,

Thank you for your support, and I totally agree about the simplicity - I always prefer simple programs, so I'll try to keep AX64 as simple to use as possible.

Isso

10. Isso

Isso Developer

bgoodman,

You are absolutely right, I just might have expressed my thoughts a bit incorrectly. I was even thinking maybe we could enhance AX64 to support the backup to the same drive, and not require space for full backup. Of course it wouldn't protect from hard drive failures, but some of the users might still want it - just like they prefer Rollback.

For boot time - thank you for mentioning it. I'll update the article.

Isso

11. Isso

Isso Developer

No, sorry it won't work, because the "dirty" bit is saved upon OS shutdown by the driver, irrespective of the main program being loaded or not.

Isso

12. Isso

Isso Developer

bgoodman,

The manual is the next write-up that I'm planning to make. Thank you for your idea with wiki, I'll see if I can manage it.
    For mounting - it's a feature mostly for advanced users. The rest can just copy/drag/launch the files right from the backup browser - it's much easier. I'll reflect it in the manual.

By the way I can see again how important it is to keep the program simple. I'm targeting AX64 also for inexperienced users, so they can protect their PCs without asking anyone for help. Looks like we still need to work in that direction.

Isso

13. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi defconnect,

Thank you for your help. For pro-active defense - I totally agree. Would somebody care to add this to the ideas list on feedback.ax64.com? Thank you

Isso

14. Isso

Isso Developer

'

Hi Chuck,

9 days remaining means that you were using the beta version, so I'll send to you your free beta-tester license key via PM, don't worry about the expiration.

Isso

15. Isso

Isso Developer

sb,

Sorry for missing your post. I'm not a Rollback expert like Carfal or Froggie, but here is what I think:

Question 1: Does RBRX modify the MBR anytime after RBRX is first installed?

I think it's unlikely

Question 2: What state is the MBR restored to when I restore to Snapshot M?

It's restored to the state that existed at the moment when you took the backup with AX64. It doesn't matter when you installed AX64. Every time you take a backup is also saves the MBR. Every time you restore a backup with "MBR restore" checked, it restores MBR to one saved in that particular backup.
    I see absolutely no problems with restoring MBR. If you took a backup with AX64 before installing Rollback, then if you restore that backup, Rollback will be wiped out along with its changes in MBR.
    If you are restoring a backup taken after Rollback was installed, then the MBR will be restored to that of Rollback, and you'll have Rollback on the system along with corresponding MBR, which should work fine. Hope this makes sense,

Isso

IMPORTANT EDIT (kudos to nexstar): Please note that restore from AX64 recovery media (and bare metal restore) will not restore Rollback's snapshots, because AX64 doesn't save empty sectors. Also I've been told that Rollback forges the MBR, so AX64 saves a fake MBR that may not contain Rollbacks' bootloader, and as a result won't start Rollback at boot.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  16. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

question 3 for ISSO .

when u gonna fix this merging error ? its really annoying and prevent most of us even test Ax64 on their sysytem

10x :)

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi again Isso,

you do understand that you are asking for trouble, right? It does not matter if people request it or not, it will get abused by the users, it will lead to corrupted systems and the users will blame AX64 for this, even though they were the ones that did the "manual override".

In case you do decide to implement it, make it a bit "annoying" and "funny" at the same time Something like:
    AX64: Do you want to disable the the dirty bit? Doing so can corrupt all the snapshots and may render your system unstable after the restore!
    User: Yes.
    AX64: Remember that this option is experimental and no support will be given if anything goes wrong. Do you want to disable it?
    AX64: Are you really sure about this?
    User : Yes
    AX64: Really, really sure?
    AX64: Really, really, really sure?
    AX64: Last chance to back out. Should I go ahead and disable it?
    User: Give it to me already!
    AX64: The dirty bit is now disabled, not! Remember that if anything goes wrong you'll be on your own and no support will be given. If even after this last warning you want to disable it click yes.
    User: Yes
    AX64: Dirty Bit disabled! No further support will be given!
    User (talking to himself): Who cares, I use a cracked version.:cool:

:D :D :D
    Panagiotis

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm gonna chime in on the brief flurry over Shadow Defender non-compatibility.

I'm of the opinion and wholeheartedly agree that it's important to maintain the simplicity factor, and as it is now, and what is still yet to be realized with AX64 TM is more then adequate and meets the needs IMHO in that it does what's expected of it and more, and in reasonably rapid fashion.

As to do with SD, like many others i also enjoy the benefits of it's virtualization techniques and those yet to come, but when it comes down to AX64 Time Machine, i for one would prefer not to hamper proper functioning of the single most important protection of them all, and that's quality imaging and restoring.

Given that choice, saved and secured images from a quality imaging program is more critical to security then certain security apps themselves.

And for that matter, couldn't we use AX64's snapshot feature (kinda) as a substitute, in a round about way in place of any virtualization proggy, save maybe sandboxie and the like? ....provided we keep those saved backups/snaps in a controlled secured environment to be accessed later if and when needed?

Just curious.

Regards Easter

19. aladdin

WELL SAID! ANYTHING MORE WILL DESTROY AXTM!

20. speedbump

speedbump Registered Member

Isso,
    That's what I wanted to hear! My D partition will be be monitored by RBRX until AX64 is able to monitor both C and D.
    Thanks for a clear and welcome explanation! Also, thanks again for developing such a great application and letting us follow its progress here!
    Regards, sb

21. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

Just a thought concerning SD compatibility with AX64. Tony (SD's developer for those that do not know) is supposed to be working on a registry exclusion system for SD. I am assuming that this "dirty bit" used by AX64 is stored in the registry. If this is indeed the case, once Tony completes his registry exclusion feature, could you just not exclude this registry key/registry value from SD's protection? I think once this feature is introduced into SD, it should at least solve some of, if not all, of this issue...

22. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Easter and Mohamed :)

I must agree with the above and very well stated Easter :) I understand the desire for feature improvements with AX64, I understand the comparisons with other data protection applications, but the bottom most important line is AX64TM at this stage is doing what has been promised and that is reliable data protection and backups, outside of any other app, Isso has delivered with a product unique in its features, and THIS is the focus and so far a true accomplishment. Of course many users want full compatibility with XYZ software...but what is most important? The continued development of AX64TM should in my opinion focus on exactly where Isso and team is at...that is offering an application that serves most users with reliable data protection, imaging with snapshot style increments, AND for now, bare metal restore of ones OS partition.

I have no doubts Isso and team will reach the next goal of protecting the entire disk, but at this point in its development, it is delivered as promised and for the most part, it already rises above many other offerings presently available.

Keep up the great work and development Isso...do not get too bogged down with every feature request at this time...the path you are on is proper...reliable complete protection delivered in a small yet powerful solution!

Thanks again Easter and Mohamed for your comments and to ALL who are actively supporting and participating in AX64TM. This is going to become something very desired because even with the initial release, it delivers as promised. Maintain focus on reliability and full disk protection features, and you already have a winner Isso.

Congratulations, and you ARE making some waves in the imaging community :) Keep up the great work! Your personal commitment to details and focus on what is of first importance outshines them all considering the young age of AX64TM and its current capabilities.

Thanks to everyone that have assisted in this development and continue to do so. Isso, you my friend are a model for other companies support and technical response. How refreshing to witness such personal involvement with this gem and delivering on your promises as stated! :)

Jim

23. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

I agree with the sentiments from everyone concerning the path of AX64. For me at least, what has brought AX64 to this point is its own uniqueness and different approach to imaging and snapshots from all of the other products on the market today along with the stellar customer service and communication with the users. It is AX64's uniqueness and differences that will win over new users and have these users end up leaving other back-up programs behind. I do not believe that compatibility with other image and snapshot software should be a primary concern. We all know from life that being unique and different does not mean that you will get along with everybody, but in the end you are liked for the uniqueness and differences that you bring with you. Just a thought...

24. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Thanks Kent :) Very well said!

Jim

25. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

I believe that is exactly the situation re AX64 and SD (AX64 does not work the way that is should with SD's Shadow Mode). But I don't mean to make a major issue of it and I don't expect a remedy at this stage of AX64's development.

Yes, the 'Shadow Mode effect' impacts manual incremental snaps (as well automatic incrementals)!

TS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.