To LWM - re HJT logs

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by MikeBCda, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

I just read your announcement about discontinuing review of HJT logs, and one omission (possibly deliberate, possibly an oversight) struck me. (Or, of course, maybe I just missed it.)

Obviously, changes in board strucure and policy can be done at any time without notice or explanation -- but I'm sure quite a few of us would like to know the reason behind this one, if you don't mind. Was it the most obvious possibility, that the forum was simply becoming swamped with huge numbers of requests requiring lots of time from experts that could be better used elsewhere?

Thanks and best,
    Mike

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I wanted to keep the Announcement itself as clean and on-point as possible, so I didn't put the reason in there. I just stated the policy. However, I knew someone would ask in a new thread over here, and this is a better place for such a discussion...

It's a number of factors. Our staffing levels have been dropping at the same time that log volume has been increasing. So, the result was a large number of log threads just weren't getting proper attention. Also, the complexity of the logs has been increasing overall, requiring ever more expertise on the part of the helpers. Many of the helpers rightly do not want to spend all their free time, (and then some), to stay current with the newer, more complex diagnostic and fix techniques.

Since all of our Spyware Fighters & Moderators were already helpers at other forums (often several other forums), they were already splitting their time. And lately we've seen people with spyware problems posting duplicate threads (here, at ComputerCops, SpywareInfo, Net-Integration and so on), often getting different people to spend valuable time on the same exact problem. That is a huge waste of resources through duplication of effort.

We believe that a smaller number of forums, but each with higher staffing levels and available experts, would be much more effective than smaller, fragmented HJT sections at every security forum on the web. Less duplication, more focus and attention...

See also: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42183

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, LWM, more or less what I'd guessed then. Unexpected, of course, but actually not really surprising in hindsight considering that open topics of logs under review typically ran a few pages. And that's not even counting the ones mistakenly posted in other forums here.

Best,
    Mike

4. rizzuto

rizzuto Registered Member

Here's one poster whose sadness at seeing the service stopped is matched and outweighed by gratitude for the help and wisdom that you have provided to me and to countless others.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My thoughts also

bigc

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Discussion at DSLR about why Wilders-forum closed HJT-logs

At DSLR-security-forum you might find this thread, with posting from Paul, about above mentioned topic:

No More HJT Logs at Wilders

Regards, Jan.

7. ZeldaManiac44

ZeldaManiac44 Registered Member

Yes, I couldn't have said it better myself Rizzuto. :)

I only hope that perhaps one day the HTJ board here at Wilder's Forums will be able to re-open. Maybe if they get more
    Spyware Fighters, not mention more finances, probably the most important issue.

Even if a service is free, it always needs money to keep going, so if you're somebody out there who is grateful for having recieved help from a free-service board like this one, try to make a contribution whenever possible, it helps keep things like this happing to another of those Security Forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.