IE 10

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Having experienced problems with IE 10, I do not want it to install as a Windows update. How do I prevent that from happening?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Make certain WU is set to "Notify" only, and check for it in the list of updates. Uncheck the box and it won't come through, it'll just sit there for months in the list like that stupid "Bing Desktop" and crap does on mine.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thank you Both.
    Jerry

5. siljaline

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

7. siljaline

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You can hide the update so that you don't see it.

9. siljaline

It's probably better overall better security practice picking and choosing your updates than hiding one then having to look for it later.
    Hiding updates does work but not necessarily in a home computer environment.

10. er34

er34 Guest

Siljaline, hiding the update feature in Windows Update works fine in both corporate and home computing environments. What do you mean ?

11. siljaline

What I meant was hiding updates on Windows Update is not a prudent thing to do.
    It is better to avoid a certain updates if you feel that it is not appropriate for your system as was mentioned: Bing Desktop.
    Many of these that are offered as optional are, user choice.

12. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

You can always restore 'hidden' updates when you decide to.

13. siljaline

14. er34

er34 Guest

No, actually it does not matter if you hide them or if you use a tool to block them. In both cases the update is not being installed. What is the technical difference :

1. Hiding update means it will not be installed on the computer unless unhidden. This is very fast option (quick to hide, quick to unhide). It requires no additional tools. Disadvantage is that the settings are per user and if one user has hidden the update - the other one might unhide it very quickly.

2. Using a tool completely makes the update non-existing. This is prone to more problems than the 1st option. It requires additional update to be installed and is not as quick and easy as 1st option. It is more appropriate to be used in big networks / corporate environment - for example the admins hide IE10 update but the end user might quickly unhide it and make it visible. The tool will in this case block the installation.

With home users option 1 is easier, faster and preffered. Both options do the same at the end.

15. niki

niki Registered Member

If one wants IE10 be installed after having used the toolkit to disable Automatic Delivery of IE10:
    just follow the instructions in the above link and instead of typing ie10_blocker.cmd /B, type ie10_blocker.cmd /U to unblock IE10. It worked for me for IE8 so it must be working as well for IE10.

16. siljaline

I think what I posted here probably addresses what the implications of hiding objects on Windows Update are and how to recover them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, though :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.