SecureAnywhere appeared out of nowhere - how safe is this thing?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by ploppo, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ploppo

ploppo Registered Member

I had the free/trial version of PrevX. I had no idea about this plan to convert that to SecureAnywhere - this thing basically stealth installed on my PC with no pop-up/warning/explanation.

The point here is that I have MS Security Essentials and Comodo free firewall. Is this SecureAnywhere completely safe to be let loose on my system with the aforementioned products?

And, what's with the 'system events have been inspected since installation' 'willy-waving' score? That thing is already clocking close to 10,000,000,000 ( 10 billion) - is that thing safe to continue spamming it's way into some 'didn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy', attention-seeking, high-score?

Seriously, I need to know if I need to get this thing off my PC considering my installed security software.

EDIT:
    That 'high-score' thing has passed 12 billion - it is climbing at an astonishing rate.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. guest

guest Guest

Look around for recent postings, your are not alone in your surprise. :cool:

HighScore? Not very likely. :D - I have already 1,2 trillion here and I am sure others are in other dimensions already. :) - You are on level one, don't worry .. you will get there. :cool:

It's very likely that all works fine for you since the new Prevx called Webroot Secure Anywhere is even more compatible to other av products than the old version.

Hint from me: check out the option "control active processes" from context menue of tray symbol and see if some of your programs are monitored. If you know it's not malware, if you are sure .. you could ALLOW your other software. If you don't things could maybe slow down a bit.

EDIT:

Don't get hynotized!!! :D

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

You can continue using SecureAnywhere alongside your existing security products without any problem at all, just like Prevx before it. You can click on the "More Info" button next to the System Events counter to see actual events taking place (a la Process Monitor) - it isn't just a random number, it is the number of system operations that WSA is analyzing in realtime, and is very helpful in diagnosing problems, but if your system isn't infected and WSA is working fine, then you can safely ignore the data beneath the numbers.

Let me know if you have any questions!

4. ploppo

ploppo Registered Member

I'm ditching it now.

I don't want my PC keeping some stupid score going into trillions and beyond.

It's already close to 15 billion.

Why the hell would anyone (ANYONE) want to know this 'score'? What happens when the 'score' gets too big? Any side-effects/consequences?

I won't be finding out - it's being kicked off my PC.

Problem solved.

EDIT:

Christ! I clicked that button and this thing is actually keeping at least 16 'high-scores'. For probably no reason at all? Right, I'm stepping away, nice and slow, and logging out of this place.

5. guest

guest Guest

LOL ... I did know that we all are paranoid here, but that is .. wow! :D

What do you think will happen if numbers are getting "too big"? - Too big for what? Your display? o_O :D

Dude, did you check your system resources while running WSA? Were they higher than with Prevx? No? - And why do you want to abandon the new, much better version of an old and outdated product that you did use happily until now? ;)

For the record: I also don't understand the need for that statistic thing and would disable it if possible. But right now you can't do that. But since there is no harm done with those numbers I would simply ignore them if I were you, minimize the GUI and start working with your computer instead of worrying. ;)

Seriously .. you are kind of overreacting here, you know that, right? ;)

p.s.: I guess you are pissed that trial ends if that wasn't the case with the old version? - Well, that's another story. :)

6. PrevxHelp

Well, to each their own, but this was a feature requested by many users and has been shown to be very valuable in the field. You can click on each of the lines of the incrementing numbers to see the underlying events which are taking place. The counts require zero additional CPU usage over the processing of events and are massively valuable to us for diagnosing problems (if one of the areas doesn't increment in some case, for example) and for investigating infections closer by looking at the underlying events.

There are no negative side effects for larger numbers, and it doesn't slow anything down - it takes just as long for a computer to add 1+1 as it does to add 1 trillion + 1.

Personally, I'd think this would be something easily ignored if it really bothered you that much, but if you take a look at the resources being used by WSA and see how it actually feels on your system, I think you would get a better picture of what the product is actually like.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i dont mind it myself but how about a switch to turn it off for those who really dont like it? could that be possible??

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

As much as I love WSA, I'm not very fond of the system event counter. It's pretty annoying.

@ploppo
    Don't let a tiny counter deprive you of the sweet protection that WSA offers. It's newer, better, lighter, faster and stronger than anything you've ever seen including Prevx. And fortunately Webroot retained the whole PrevX team and they are now part of WSA like Joe here. Awesome support. The combined manpower further strengthened support, lab testing, analyses, etc. I say go for WSA. Give it a chance. It won't disappoint you.:)

9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I like this feature of Webroot. It reminds me of the US Debt Clock (usdebtclock.org)
    I don't know which one is going faster, the US Debt Clock or Webroot. :D

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

LOL @ProTruckDriver :D

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

That's a very good analogy! I'm not sure which is faster either!

12. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Weird, I see the proliferation of one/two messages threads and than the OP disappers. Is this sort of SPAM or legitimate users? o_O

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Annoying how? Afaik you don't see it unless you open the GUI, right o_O

15. PrevxHelp

Correct, and when the UI isn't open, the numbers aren't refreshing in the background - the UI being open collects the numbers from across the system to prepare them for display.

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I wonder what will happen at the end of the scan?

ScreenShot_Prevx 3_scan_09.jpg

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Presently, scanning...

ScreenShot_Prevx 3_scan_23.jpg

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

surprise surprise :D

19. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am surprised the scan just disappeared. :D

ScreenShot_Prevx 3_scan_25.jpg

20. PrevxHelp

Not all users are being updated at once, so you might not see anything exciting for a while :)

21. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I guess I just enter my WSA closed beta key, and it should convert?

ScreenShot_Prevx 3_scan_26.jpg

P.S. I just have to find my key.

22. PrevxHelp

No, that won't change anything - it is decided on the backend. Your WSA key won't work within P3.

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

So, what do you suggest ? :)

24. PrevxHelp

You can run WSA manually over P3, or enter your P3 license into WSA to convert it up.

25. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I don't have a current P3 key, so I guess I will run WSA over the top, or would it be better to uninstall P3 first?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.