SpywareBlaster 5.0 released! - (Google Chrome users rejoice!)

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster 5.0 has been released!

Defend your security and privacy while browsing the web. Prevent the installation of spyware, malware, and other potentially unwanted software!

SpywareBlaster works alongside your web browser and existing security setup, to provide a powerful multi-layered defense against the bad side of the web. No need to choose - keep your existing tools and your favorite software, and add on SpywareBlaster's complementary, no-nonsense protection.

New in this version:
    -Google Chrome support
    -Improved Windows 8 support
    -Improved support for the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox.
    -Numerous other bug fixes, optimizations, and tweaks.

This 5.0 release provides enhanced protection, browser support, performance, and bug fixes.

SpywareBlaster is a free download.
    Download the latest version here:
    http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html

System Requirements: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8. (32 and 64-bit)

Like SpywareBlaster?
    Share SpywareBlaster on Facebook, Google Plus, and Twitter. Help protect your friends and family!

Upgrade to the full version
    Help us out, and automatically stay up-to-date, with SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate. Available for a low price, SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate automatically keeps you protected with the latest databases and access to the latest versions, along with priority technical support.

Enjoy! :D

Best regards,

-Javacool

P.S. If you have any problems please don't hesitate to post.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. javacool

Re: SpywareBlaster 5.0 released!

Requirements:

Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8. (32 and 64-bit)

NOTE: With the release of SpywareBlaster 5.0, we have discontinued support for versions of Windows prior to Windows 2000.

Provides Protection for the Following Browsers:
    • Internet Explorer
      and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine, including:
      • AOL web browser
      • Avant Browser
      • Slim Browser
      • Maxthon (formerly MyIE2)
      • and more
    • Google Chrome
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Netscape
    • Seamonkey
    • Pale Moon
    • K-Meleon

Slim Operation:

As always, SpywareBlaster doesn't use any services, drivers, or anything that constantly runs in the background, consuming your computer's memory and processing time. You just open SpywareBlaster, set your protection, and close it - you're protected.

And it works great with other reputable security and privacy applications, including anti-virus, anti-trojan, and even other anti-spyware programs. There's no such thing as a 100% effective solution, and SpywareBlaster was designed from day one to be a compatible, effective part of any security setup you may want to configure.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. javacool

Upgrading Tips:

To upgrade SpywareBlaster from a previous version you can either:
    (a) Download and install the new version of SpywareBlaster "over-the-top".
    (b) Uninstall the old version of SpywareBlaster first. Please see the detailed upgrade instructions here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbupdate.html

Either method should work.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Nice one. Updated.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Very nice.Thank you.:thumb:

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Updated, Thanks :thumb:

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Awesome release, Javacool!
    Google Chrome protection at last!! Been a long time coming! :thumb:
    Thanks for the terrific program. :cool:

8. javacool

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Great work and thank you for a great product.
    Great to see Chrome is now supported. :)

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thanks for this :thumb:

Those that a currently running the software with Hosts file backups and such should probably slam the version "over top".

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Went over the top so far on 2 of 3 computers... XP and W7, with no issues whatsoever. One more to go. Looking good, and I'm very pleased that JC took care of us Chrome users. :thumb:

Edit in: 3 of 3 "over the top", no problems. ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  12. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

J-Cool thanks so much!! ;)

13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

J-Cool, thank you very much for your efforts, SpywareBlaster is definitely a worthy tool to keep around, I've used it for years.

14. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Updated to new version, thanks J-Cool.

15. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Nice! Updating now, thanks.

16. Wallaby

Wallaby Registered Member

One of the things you could do by yourself is updating the Home Page http://www.brightfort.com/downloads.html that still talks about version 4.6 and database dated 1/14/2013 (!)

Second fact is: I have no Google Chrome installed, so why do I see this?

http://img103.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=219350311_Clipboard02_122_837lo.jpg

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Going to try out this new version, now that Spybot (Immunize) is so bloated and there's Chrome support.

18. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

I've never used SpywareBlaster because I don't use IE much and I thought it was mainly use to protect IE users from Active X. But I'm considering installing in my home desktop because my wife uses Firefox with no add ons, and my kids use Opera and Chrome on their laptops with no security add ons installed except for Avast. My Firefox uses No Script and has ABP with the additional malware domain list. I also use Chrome with Script Safe and the same ABP subscriptions.

Can someone explain to what type of malware this software would protect a user who's running Firefox, Chrome or Opera with no security add ons installed? And will it play nicely with my Firefox and Chrome with the added security add ons? Also does this software install as a plug ins for your browser or like regular software which can be uninstalled through the control panel?

Thanks guys.

19. pnamajck

pnamajck Registered Member

jl . . . it's difficult finding software that does not increase in size . . . with each successive release.

spyware_blaster :
    • spywareblastersetup 3.5 2,507kb
    • spywareblastersetup 4.1 2,803kb
    • spywareblastersetup 4.6 3,179kb
    • spywareblastersetup 5.0 4,000kb
    ad-aware :
    • aawsepersonal 1.0.6.0 2,789kb
    • aaw2007 7.0.2.7 19,406kb
    • Ad-AwareInstall 8.1.1 75,280kb
    • Ad-AwareInstall 8.3.0 130,452kb
    [ the above data are meant only as a comparison of "updated" software . . . the two products are vastly different in their spectre / category / cadre. ]

gugarci . . . being the power-user you are . . . i would think it'd be highly beneficial for you to read up on the software at the developer's knowledge base.

this would bring to light other questions for you . . . resolving almost any queries you may have. keep in mind, gugarci . . . as of now, the software does not support opera browser.

20. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

21. pnamajck

pnamajck Registered Member

jc . . . appreciate the newest update . . . have relied on firefox for many years . . . recently found myself using chrome more often than before . . . kudos for the updated chrome-support. your "over-the-top" install was flawless . . . as have been all your sb-installs.

thanks for a great product, jc . . . and for remaining true to the crusade. :thumb:

p.s. jc . . . just a reminder to update this page :

dell-8200
    win-xp (sp3)
    the five major browsers
    ad-aware
    spy-bot

avg
    spyware-blaster
    hijack!this

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Quick question. Does it only work with Google Chrome or with other WebKit based browsers too? :)

I ask since you can use other browser that uses the IE engine.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Increase in size is fine by me as long as it's moderate and adds useful functionality or fixes issues. Spybot 2 is full of unnecessary additions that ballooned its size and resource usage, not worth installing.

24. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I totally agree. Compared to version 1.xx, version 2.xx also complicates the malware definitions update process. It's a mess.

Anyway, this is about SpywareBlaster, and therefore I'd like to make a suggestion.

Apparently, it won't detect my Chromium profiles. I have a few different executables with different names. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a setting in SpywareBlaster that would allow the user to specify the path of such executables (maybe the profile if necessary as well)? Maybe I'm asking to much, but it won't hurt asking... lol

Thanks

25. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

I did a clean uninstall of 4.6 (disabled all protection, uninstalled via control panel), then installed 5.0 and enabled all protection.

Chrome is my default browser, but it does not show up in SpywareBlaster as a browser on my system. (I even rebooted in case that made a difference - same result.)

I installed Chrome using the .msi installer (so it is installed system-wide, not just for one user). Is that why it's not showing up?

(Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, Bitdefender Free AV, no other resident security apps.)

[edit]

And when I say it doesn't show up, I mean it's not even listed. Firefox (which is not installed) is listed as "Not Detected". Chrome (which is installed) isn't even listed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.