JAVA BEWARE

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MickeyTheMan, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Not enough emphasis is put towards the dangers of JAVA !

VERSION 6 needs to be removed from your systems if you have that installed !

VERSION 7 needs to be updated regularly as more exploits are being discovered almost daily recently.

2. Adric

Adric Registered Member

What a strange post after three years of silence o_O This has been discussed many times before.

3. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

It might have been discussed many times but the word doesn't seem to get out as just in the past week i've discovered 8 of my company's customers were still using version 6

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Put some blame on software and websites that still require Java, and often require Java settings to be less than 100% locked down in order to work properly. You're preaching to the choir, get the message through to the sinners.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im a paid up member of the choir and java has been uninstalled for several weeks now and i have no intention of re-installing unless its totally needed which up to now it has not been.

6. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I'm just past 2yrs without java and have never had so much as 1 pop-up that I needed to install it to use a particular website.

7. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Agreed..:thumb: A little over a year for my personal pc, haven't seen a "you need to install" box either.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Same here. 2 years, no Java, no need.

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I recently read that latest version of Java 7 still has huge holes that are currently being exploited. Will post article if I can find it.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I root Androids on occasion. Every rooting process I've used required JDK. And JDK requires JRE. If this is not others experience please let me know.

11. Have to agree with this. I still hear stories about banks that requires Java applets, and companies that use Java applets (including self-signed ones) internally. IMO that's not excusable at this stage of the game.

I would still recommend that those who require Java applets use Noscript, click-to-play, and/or a whitelist of trusted websites. But trusted websites can be compromised too, and often enough are. The situation is not reasonable for end users IMO.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

A year and a half without JAVA and i'm happy as ever, one program less to keep updated :thumb:

13. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Hi. I'm feandur.

It's 1 week now since I removed Java.

I'm still clean.

:thumb:

PS: LibreOffice, Scribus, AbiWord, all seem to work OK.
    - good as gold Macka, good as gold.

-cheers,
    feandur

14. iammike

iammike Registered Member

What about installing Java in a Sandbox (sandboxie?) and thus Root the phones in the sandbox ??

15. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I still have Java installed. It is up to date, the plug-in is disabled unless I need it. That is all.

16. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

I rooted android phones manually through ADB just using these three files(only totalling to 2.56mb in size and not requiring Java); adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll. And I use fastboot.exe to flash clockworkMod recovery.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.