Opera Extensions Talk! - Share your discoveries, favorite Opera extensions, tips...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Opera? Extensions?

Since its eleventh version, Opera is getting more and more "extension friendly" (technical info about the implementation: http://dev.opera.com/addons/extensions/).

Opera official extensions gallery (https://addons.opera.com/extensions/) is getting bigger and better, beginning to rival the powerful ones of Chrome and even Firefox (eventually...).

And these facts are the basis for this thread.

Here, the members of WildersSecurity may share their discoveries, favorite Opera extensions, creations, and also, the related tips, doubts, expectations, recommendations - whatever/whenever they want.

Note to moderators:

I tried to post on two older threads about the subject (this and this) but they aren't accepting replies anymore.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure a Gmelius™ update put Opera on my notebook into a crashing loop. I have made a fresh install.

3. Wild Hunter

Talking about buggy Opera extensions:

Currently, Opera saves/restores text on the situation where one accidentally clicks the back/forward buttons while typing in a text-area, but Opera isn't saving/restoring text on the situation where one accidentally closes the tab or the window and then try to restore it.

So, I decided to try an Opera extension named Textarea Backup Localstorage which supposedly helps with this hypothetical situation. But the extension is buggy and simply doesn't work most times. Its last update is from July 4, 2011. After reading more info in the extension page at Opera gallery (its description, Reviews and ratings, Reported issues, etc) I discovered that the extension is based in a UserJS script with the same name which was recently updated (December 27, 2012). All in all, this extension really needs to be updated asap, at least to reflect the fixes that were made on the script.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

So far I haven't seen the need for extensions - the only one currently in use is this YouTube downloader which works well .. https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/download-youtube-videos-as-mp4/?display=en
    All adblocking I still do via the urlfilter.ini which gives me the best results. For javascript I just use the edit site preferences to either allow or deny, plus a javascript toggle button for the sites I have not previously visited and where js is needed to view/use the site properly.
    Opera comes with many features as standard like being able to save pages as web archive (like IE), Copy to Notes, easy peasy and clean way to save sessions etc. etc. Seeing that this thread is about extensions, I will not list all the features which would invite comparisons.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I make do with only three extensions, those are:

- Google Translate Link
    - Opera Internal Pages
    - WOT

As Ocky said Opera is packed with many features which other browsers have to compensate with addons, extensions etc. So no need to have tens of extensions. I have to laugh when an Opera user is having 30 or more extensions and complains for crashes, high CPU etc. etc.

7. Wild Hunter

I'm currently using these ones:

Adblock Plus - White-listing could be easier, but I rarely need to do this now after changing the filter list to the default EasyList.

AutoStack - No issues at all, works as intended. I would prefer something like ColorfulTabs, but for now this extension with some tweaks in its settings + some tweaks in Opera's own tab settings = enough.

LastPass - No issues at all, works as intended, but I see no need to keep this extension enabled all the time, as I got used to the LastPass bookmarklets.

SaveFrom.net helper - No issues at all. After some tests, this is the best "element" (video, sound, etc) downloader that I could find for Opera. It works with many webpages (including YouTube) and has nice extra features. It's also always updated.

gPDF - No issues at all. Works very well.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, first, Opera extensions aren't near the power of Chrome and Firefox. But, I use the following with a decent amount of success:

ABP

Phototagger

TurnOffTheLights

YouTube Downloader

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Sure because they don't need be. Opera is itself powerful :D

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

No doubt :D

11. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I use the following Extensions:

Anchorize - Converts plain text links into real clickable links
    AutoComplete - Provides AutoComplete functionality for text boxes
    LastPass
    URL Cleaner - Removes redirect information from URLs
    Yet Another Statusbar - Shows the url the link which is being hovered over is pointing to in the lower left corner

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like to keep it simple.. just using one here: ABP. No issues or probs...

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Judging by the latest reviews of the new opera the extensions are the least of its worries.
    Just been reading another thread on here about opera and its a grim read of constant crashing and high CPU usage.That is a shame as i thought it was a good browser when i used it but sadly it looks like its going downhill.

14. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Well, its an unfortunate side-effect of fixing certain issues. Also, not any program is completly crash proof. I'm only experiencing a crash every now and then and the CPU usage isn't that bad for me unless the site uses javascript heavily, etc.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Strangely enough, I was having issues with high cpu usage in Chrome watching full screen flash video, but switched to Opera and all is fine, no cpu issues whatsoever...

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Am I missing something ? What is the 'advantage' of Yet Another Statusbar when you can already see the full url address when hovering over links ?

status.png

17. Wild Hunter

Another extension I'm using now: Translator

Very easy to use and works really well (automatically or manually). Constantly updated.

18. Wild Hunter

Another interesting extension I'm using: Violentmonkey

Despite the (funny?) name, it's very useful:

With it, I could easily add the recently updated Textarea Backup Localstorage UserJS script and it's working like a charm - full functionality. No need for the buggy and outdated Textarea Backup Localstorage extension anymore.

19. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

CleanPages - by clicking on the addon button, makes the pages easier to read by changing the font, removing ads, puts a black border at the sides etc. Great extension.
    https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/cleanpages/?display=en

Download YouTube Videos as MP4 - I noticed chrome removed a few of these extensions to download videos on youtube, still a couple available whereas Firefox has them, and now Opera has it. Works well.
    https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/download-youtube-videos-as-mp4/?display=en

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.