Outlook has stopped working - SmartSecurity 6

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by timpaul, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timpaul

timpaul Registered Member

I've installed 6.0.308.0 having been running the RC for a bit over a month.

Now I cannot send or reply to email. I tried disabling AniSpam and Email Client Protection but that didn't work. Uninstalled ESET SS 6 and Outlook works. Reinstalled SS 6 and same issue, "Outlook has stopped working"

I'd appreciate some guidence in resolving this

Cheers

TP

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Not to criticize ESET, but a lot of re-occurring problems were solved when I got rid of it.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. timpaul

Outlook 2013 64bit on Windows 7 64bit

No, didn't try your suggestions. The symptoms and error are different. In my case Outlook starts no problem, plug-ins load. Just crashes when sending.

None-the-less, will give it a shot and post back if it has an impact.

5. timpaul

Oh, and neglected to say thanks for the tips. Thanks ;)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We're going to provide Outlook 2013 dumps to Microsoft for further investigation as the issue lies deeply in Outlook itself.

7. er34

er34 Guest

I think that antivirus software should not integrate with mail clients such as Outlook or others.

First - the majority of people (I know) have some kind of ISP based SPAM filter/protection
    Second - Outlook itself (both program and service) includes Microsoft based Junk filter (spam and phishing protection) which updates itself often via MS updates
    Third - even if phishing link is found in the mail, it will be opened via the browser which includes anti-phishing protection

So on -> Outlook will inform the user if potentially dangeour (PE) file occurs in the mailbox and the user will not be able to auto-infect him/her self. Additionally, the antivirus (ESET...) has real time file system protection and will scan/detect/block any potentially dangerous PE file that might be malicious when the user attempt so access the file.

So, using integration into mail clients does not bring any signifact plus, does not improve protection really. It can only cause problems (like in this case). I am sure any ESET mod will confirm that even without the Outlook pluging, ESET will protect the system the same and the system pluging is more marketing than technical feature.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ESET had many requests for email integration over the years.

The option to not use it is in the program settings.

9. er34

er34 Guest

ronjor, people may request it because they don't know they actually don't have the need for it. People may want from the program to make them ice-cream but this does not mean developers should consider absolutely everything.

Yes, it's there and it is enabled by default. It works but as seen it is also causing problems as reported in some posts/threads here recently. Protection level will not get higher with a mail client plugin.
    I just said my opinion, it is up to ESET if they will implement it or not. :thumb:

10. timpaul

Thanks for this update and your efforts.

11. timpaul

I have disabled 'Email Client Protection', 'Antispam Protection' and 'Anti-Phishing Protection' and still Outlook intermittently crashes when sending messages.

It doesn't crash when I completely uninstall SS6

Can you advise please the best path to protect my machine (64 Win 7, 64bit Office 2013) while this problem is investigated and resolved?

Thanks

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic post removed. Any further off topic posts will also be removed.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In order to disable the Outlook plug-in, navigate to Email client protection -> Email client integration and untick the "Integrate into Microsoft Outlook" box until a new version of ESS addressing the issue becomes available.

14. timpaul

Thanks very much, really appreciate your help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.