How to remove Skype Home screen, ads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I am trying to be the people's knight savior today. So here's a long compilation and tutorial presenting several methods to disabling annoying Skype Home and ads, including using Linux or older Windows versions, Classic View tweaks, commands to kill Skype Home, batch files, changing language, minimizing call windows, editing hosts file, firewall rules, plus many other suggestions and sources. Hopefully, you will find this most useful.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/skype-home-screen-ads-remove.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thanks for the good compilation of the various solutions that exists on the net. Should be tried for the fun of it but in the long run not so easy to maintain (or I found it) to make sure no ads appear ever.

3. Mrkvonic

I agree. I am trying to convert the netizens of the world with whom I must communicate now and then to switch to something else, and then I will ditch the program.
    Mrk

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I really wish there were more suitable alternatives out there. The way Skype is now, you'd think they were owned by Google instead of MS. I tested these bits of advice out on another box and sure enough you're spot on. Great job :thumb:

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

By putting your middle finger up?

6. Mrkvonic

That message it for the company trying to sell me inferior cars in their ads.
    Mrk

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

great MRK!
    i was looking for a while!
    :thumb:

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way skype 6 is out

and in the last version of skype 5 edit the language doesn't work to avoid nags :(

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The changelog for version 6.0 for Windows and Mac:
    http://blogs.skype.com/garage/windows/
    For those that may not want Facebook integration you may not want to activate this feature or opt-out, if possible. Also noted is
    telemetry
    . This is Skype sending "anonymous information" back to Skype servers.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

there is the portable version too
    but in v6 can i have both skype contact and msn contact in skype6?

in skype 6 i can not change language , and there is no more style classic(windows visual style) or skype view

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

can you edit and change language to avoid ads?
    which version do you have?
    cheers

13. Mrkvonic

I did not upgrade. I will check on a test box.
    Mrk

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but is there a way to block the ads ip or port with a firewall ?

thanks

15. Mrkvonic

Yes, I wrote that in the original article.
    Mrk

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes but i don't know what should ip should i block
    i would like to use peerblock , could be the best choise

may i know which version do you have?

i 'm really bored to see ads about carso_O

17. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi mantra,

try to block TCP&UDP port: 80 and 443 for Skype.exe in your firewall.

Also remember to un-check box: "Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections" in Tools > Options... > tab Advanced > Connection.

It should allow you to get rid of these ads in Skype, at least in business version of Skype.

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm wondering whether Windows Live Essentials 2012 will be completely deactivated once they Finally finish the merge with Skype, or will we still be able to use Messenger :doubt:

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks!
    :thumb:

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

From what I have read they are cutting it off everywhere but China. I am not pleased with this, Messenger was way better than Skype. :mad:

21. Creer

Creer Registered Member

No problem, also remember that with blocked port 443 for Skype.exe, you won't be able to: add new user, and switch to Microsoft login window when you first time log in to skype from live:account.
    To do that you have to disable blocking on port 443, after you log in or add new contact, you can turn it on.
    So yeah it's a little bit inconvenience but since you don't have to see Ads using this trick - do not mind it so much.

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I totally agree, Skype is crap, and they should leave Messenger as is, or at least give the option to update to Skype or not. I just sent Skype support a scathing email, as the Pricks wont answer members questions in their forum, about why they lose Messenger contacts when they move over to Skype

Edit: This is the reply email from Skype:

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.

We understand that you wish to know why the contacts was missing after the Messenger and Skype was merged. We would be happy to explain this to you.

[GLOW="Regarding in your concern, the contacts will automatically disappear in Messenger after Merging your Skype account and Messenger. The in Messenger will automatically transfer in your Skype."]Regarding in your concern, the contacts will automatically disappear in Messenger after Merging your Skype account and Messenger. The in Messenger will automatically transfer in your Skype.[/GLOW]
    To learn more about merging Skype and Mesenger, please click this link:https://support.skype.com/en/search?q=merge Skype and messenger?

If you need additional information and for quick response, you can talk to one of our support representatives who will be happy to help you further (currently available only in English).

You will need to make sure that you enter your correct Skype Name and the email address that you have used to contact us.

To start the live chat, please follow this link:

https://skype.ehosts.net/netagent/c...4&portid=D41DE8F8-76AE-4231-8830-7CDF7E76EAED

Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again.

Best Regards,

Ritzie P.
    Skype Customer Service

note the comment about support only being available in English...well if their reply is English, can somebody translate what the hell they just said! :doubt:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  23. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Looks like it's not a good idea to block 443 TCP port for Skype.exe...
    After few days Skype stopped synchronizing contacts statuses.
    Messages from me to my contacts and vice-versa did not show anymore, also other contacts saw me that I'm online but they couldn't call me :ninja:

List of IP addresses to block is an option but it's too much work with it since MS still add/change ads servers, also playing with network tools to check which IP address belongs to ads is simply trial and error to much hassle for me.

24. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there is no adds in the Metro app Skype for Windows 8.

i like it better than the desktop version, actually.

25. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yes W8 is an option like Linux or MacOSx but it's ridiculous that if you want to use one software/app without ads you have to change OS... and even more if you realize that W8 users don't watch ads, and W7, XP, etc have to watch ads o_O
    They should release version of Skype equal for all if they really want to earn money (if not then why they put ads in this IM), that's my opinion.
    Let's wait for another version of Skype and see what MS will do next with not W8 version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.