Is the Windows Update website down?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I'm getting an error message when I try to check updates on two XP computers so I'm thinking it must be on Microsoft's end, but was curious to see if anyone else is getting the same error. I can get to the screen that asks for Express or Custom, and I select Custom. It searches awhile then a message says something like "the website's unavailable." I didn't look at it very closely. If no one else can confirm the error I'll try it again and see exactly what it says.

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I literally received about 13 updates less than an hour ago on Windows 7, so no it isn't down.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I read reports elsewhere mentioning similar issues today. WU possibly groaning under pressure temporarily, give a bit of time it will pick up speed.

4. allizomeniz

Thanks Cudni. Sounds like I'll just have to wait it out. :cool:

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

As Cudni indicated, it may be slow but not down, as many reported their updates to various security forums earlier today.

You may want to run a Microsoft FixIt, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 | How do I reset Windows Update components ?

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I downloaded the latest updates and had problems. I had a message that said two of the updates did not install properly and on reboot my machine rolled back all the updates.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I was working on updating two Windows XP Pro PC's at around 6:15 a.m. CST (US Central Standard Time) this morning and did experience problems on the second PC for several minutes.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I had this problem on 2 machines. Found this on another site and it worked:

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I tried the above methods and still had the error message. Think I'll wait a few days and see if it is something on the MS end that gets fixed.

11. siljaline

12. allizomeniz

siljaline, what makes you say it's working perfectly? Did you have success updating XP from the update website? I got Vista updated okay, but I'm still not able to connect to the update site for XP. One computer displays an error message, the other just sits there forever checking but never does anything. It does the same thing if I try Express or Custom. I think it must be on MS's end. Usually if there's a problem on my end I'll never make it to the "Checking" page in the first place.

I usually wait at least a week after patch Tuesday before checking, so unless someone reports success after previous failure, I'm gonna wait 'til next Tuesday and try then.

13. siljaline

14. allizomeniz

I was able to get updates today finally. I went to the Windows Safety & Security Center and downloaded two security patches for XP and the most recent security patch for Internet Explorer, and after installing them it worked. I don't know if it's because of what I did or if MS had a problem and just got it fixed. It's working again, that's the main thing. :D

15. siljaline

We are happy to read of the positive outcome. You may still query Microsoft Answers, as previously recommended. :thumb:

16. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I did my monthly XP updates last night (I typically wait a few days after Tuesday so that hopefully the rush will be more or less over, since MS's servers are usually not exactly lightning-fast) with no problems. About the only "problem" I consistently encounter is that it seems to take forever for that scan to see what I need updated, which seems unusual since I never bothered with Office or NET framework or Silverlight or a few other MS "standard" apps so essentially it's supposedly just checking Win and IE.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When I ran XP years ago, it used to take a good 6 minutes to complete the scan for updates on my desktop machine. I always thought that was a long time, but it is what it is... On 7 it's usually much quicker... I don't know why...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.