No resize / extension to the left?

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by tools100, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tools100

tools100 Registered Member

Hello,
    I currently use PPM = Paragon Partition Manager 11 free since I also had the light version but didn't see any difference - perhaps it was a mistake to get rid of the light version?

In fact, I've got a laptop hdd with about 60 giga, and I've got my system files in partition c: but I also got a partition d: with all my own files. This drive d: is almost full whilst on drive c: I've got about 8 giga of free space.

So I used Defraggler to put all my things within c: to the beginning of c: (I had used Auslogics Defrag before, but which is not able to place my data at the beginning of a given drive, so there was no space at the end of it - of course, since Auslogics is so bad, it's easy for them to be "faster" than Defraggler, which seems to be a very good and nice program - both are free, btw), and I used PPM to resize c: In spite of having all the free space at the end of c:, that took about an hour, for some 6 giga of free space - I think this is ridiculous, but ok, I use the free version.

Now, I want to enlarge d:, and I've been trying for THREE HOURS now to do this, without success. Perhaps, as said, it's the fact that I use the free version, but then, it would be good if the program TOLD me that I can't do it with the free version, but could do it with the paid version, but it doesn't tell me anything.

First, the 6 giga between c: and d: were "unallocated space", and I tried in vain to enlarge d: (which would be to the left since on the right of d:, there is no space on the hdd) but PPM only offers me to REDUCE the size of d: (in the 3 fields to enter sizes, I cannot enter larger numbers since PPM simply does not "recognize" the free 6 giga BEFORE d:, and enlarging d: with the mouse also is impossible). I also tried to do something with the "unallocated space", but to no avail. By this I mean I also tried to "get the task done" selecting the space between c: and d:, instead of selecting d:, then trying things.

So, finally, I created another "partition" out of that "unallocated space", and now I've got an unwanted, formatted third partition, g:, between c: and d:.

Of course, there is NO WAY I've found that allows either for resizing = ENLARGING my partition d: = to the left, by that incorporating the unwanted partition g: (i.e. starting with d: selected), nor for integrating the partition g: into d:, to the right of g: (i.e. starting with g: selected).

All this does NOT entice me in any way to buy anything from Paragon, all the less so since years ago, with PPM 7, I even LOST LOTS OF DATA by trying similar things then, data I have never recovered since.

Today, I'm not as naive as I had been then, so I'd be covered agains any possible data loss, but it seems that PPM has not got much better than it was many versions ago, since it seems to "dumb" to enlarge a partition to the left, but only can do that to the right.

XP3, NTFS. Any ideas, perhaps for competing programs?

In fact, with PPM, don't make your system partition c: too large, and your data partition d: too tiny, since you'll never be able to change anything about it later, or are you?

EDIT :

I wish to add that I just discovered that g: is another "primary" partition, not a "logical" one, as I had expected it to be. Whilst from c: I run the comp, so it's correct that c: must be a primary partition, it seems that additional partitions should be "logical" ones, except when you want to boot from them, alternatively, which is not the case here. So I perhaps delete this partition and try anew, trying to create a logical one - but I'm sure PPM didn't ask me if I wanted to have it "primary" or "logical", first time...

The whole "help" of this Russian program is a total mess, and you can't get anything valid out of it. I perhaps should have bought Acronis years ago, instead...

EDIT 2:

So I deleted the new "g:" partition, in order to have "unallocated space" again with which I then, perhaps, I could have created another new partition, but a logical one, this time. So I had the "good" idea to check a checkbox within the "delete" command that was offered to me, and which said something like "allocate newly-gained space to the END of the physical device", since I told myself, very well, this will perhaps delete the unwanted partition here, but will create "unallocated space" not here, between c: and d:, but beyond d: !

Well, an hour and a half later - we're speaking of 6 giga on a normal hdd here -, and having me presented a screen saying "Moving partition" or something like that, not "Deleting partition", I'm finished, and heureka, the "unallocated space has indeed been moved...

Unfortunately, not to the end of the disk, but BEFORE c:

And no, this is not a joke, and no, I did not, by inadvertancy, check the other checkbox available in the delete command, "move the space to the beginning of the physical device", or something like that, I very well had checked the box "at the END", and with this result.

Anyway, having to DELETE a partition, and MOVE it, in order to EXPAND another partition, is TOTAL CRAP anyway, but now, what should I do?

Since the checkbox "move the space to the end" did indeed move it to the beginning: Should I now, again, DELETE my new partition, but check the box "move the space to the beginning"... in order to actually move it to the end?

Or should I do a reinstall of my Windows system, and forget about these "Paragon" things?

As we've seen, this program is TOTAL CRAP, from begin to end. Are there really people who BUY this software - or do they have these incredible bugs in the free versions of their progs only? Ain't there legal authorities out there to protect consumers from things like that?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Not easy to follow your description.

I never had any trouble resizing volumes to the left, or right.

IMO Paragon is the best for partitioning.

A screenshot would probably have helped.

3. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Beyond the fact that it sounds like the method you used to go about partitioning may have been flawed, the PPM free has no issues re-sizing to the left or to the right of partitions. That being said, it is a free utility is just that, "free" Paragon Software holds the rights to put in whatever functionality they see fit for a "free" product. If it does not fit your needs than I recommend looking into the paid editions of the software.

4. tools100

1)

To SIW2. Of course, you try to manipulate people reading all this ("I've never had problems with resizing" - of course, if you only reduce, and if you only enlarge to the right, no problem encountered, hey, but that's a little bit SIMPLE as manipulation), and in fact, this product - free or paid - does NOT seem to ENLARGE partitions, except to the right.

Of course, "to the right" means, "to the right" in the screenshot, given an order of partition c:, then d:, then e:, etc., etc.

You have c: with let's say 20 giga, then d: with 20 giga, then 20 giga of non-attributed space. In such a case, this product offers, if you select d:, to enlarge d: ("to the right"), i.e. you can "resize" d: both by reducing its size or by enlarging its size, enlarging to the right where the non-attributed space is.

The problem is, if you have not that order, but another one, let's say c: with 20 giga, then non-attributed space of 20 giga, then d: with 20 giga, and then nothing, from left to right on the screen, and you want to enlarge d: (= having 20 giga of non-attributed space between c: and d: - am I speaking Chinese or Tibetian or English here? -, this product is UNABLE to enlarge d:, the 20 giga of free space immediately adjacent to d: notwithstanding since there are, for this product, ON THE WRONG SIDE of the partition to be enlarged.

To Matt. Of course you're right that my way of trying is crazy, but as explained, I tried that because the normal way is not given in your product, and certainly I would not buy a product that didn't work as expected in the past, and with which I lost lots of data (in spite of doing things then one step one after the other, meticulously, not in a hurry, not in any superficial way), and which does not work as expected today.

On the other hand, if you show me why it's MY FAULT, I would RECONSIDER my stance on this product, but not on somebody just saying, the paid product works, when a poster with 1300 posts here tells me even with the free product he has never got any problem, meaning that I'm TOO DUMB to make the free product working for me, in 5 hours' trying, which means by buying the commercial product, I will spend my money for nothing, too, since I'm too dumb to use it.

So you're asking for screenshots, ok.

This screenshot 1 shows the result after what I've done described above; originally the unallocated space BEFORE c: was WITHIN space, not as unallocated space but c: was too large, and d: was - and is - too tiny (as described in detail above).

I will then try to make a second screenshot in order to show you that the program does not offer to enlarge to the left, in a further post.

Attached Files:

5. tools100

In order to demonstrate the problem, I now "try" to enlarge c: (whilst in fact, I always wanted to enlarge d:).

So the following screenshot "proves" that this product "works as expected" since it offers to enlarge c: by using the free space BEFORE it.

The problem is, this is the very first time this product offers anything like that, it didn't offer such a thing when then space was between c: and d:, in order to enlarge d:

So, either, this product doesn't enlarge partitions to the left except for partition c:, which is not probable, or it is TOTALLY UNRELIABLE and sometimes works, and other times it doesn't - the secondary problem that my way of deletion a partition / unallocated space and shifting it to the RIGHT, with the result of in fact shifting to the LEFT, seems to indicate that this product is supremely BUGGY.

So here is the screenshot that "proves" that you are soooo right, and that I'm a complete fool and a liar - when in fact well-managed corporations would be THANKFUL to get presented with such problems, NOT stating "we don't have any problems", and suggesting between the lines at least that they are presented lies.

Here is the "soooo normal" screenshot that "proves" me wrong, and for me, it's another lesson. In fact, next time I encounter a problem, I DO make a screenshot, but I wasn't aware I could post screenshots here - to that extent I was at fault indeed, but let's see what the screenshot will be in some hours from here, when I'll be trying to enlarge d: again. I now must first secure my data and shift the unallocated space back to between c: and d:, then we'll see.

I acknowledge my stance vàv PPM is deeply altered by my loss of data, and I convene that is not the fault of people trying to help in this forum today, so I'm trying to be as polite as possible. (But I'm also willing to do many reviews in the web now, saying it's as buggy as it ever was, in case this problem is NOT resolved here - I'll report back.)

Attached Files:

6. tools100

Then:

Attached Files:

7. tools100

I have to wait 5 min. before posting, each time... so then we have the result of this operation (it says attachment in progress, I don't know if it's uploaded):

This system REFUSES to upload the screenshots that prove my point... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

8. tools100

Next try.

9. tools100

Well, I renamed the gif file of 11 KB, and it's not shown here.

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

To resize a PRIMARY partition:

Grab the left edge of the partition with the mouse and drag it to the left:

Data on the partition will be moved to the left, so it may take a while.

PARAGON1.jpg

You can only extend a partition into space that is next to it.

If you want to extend your D , you will need to get unallocated space next to it.

So, after extending your C to the left, shrink it a bit from the right - that will leave unallocated space between C and D.

You can then extend D into it.

To resize an EXTENDED partition:

Your D is a logical drive inside an extended partition.

You have to resize the extended partition - rt click it on the edge of the extended partition , not on the logical drive inside.

You see the edge all round the extended shows up in gold to let you know you have selected it.

select move/resize from the rt click menu:

par2.jpg

par3.jpg

par4.jpg

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  11. tools100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.