Avira 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darts, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I installed Avira 2013 Free with Custom Settings but didn't got the option to install the toolbar & there was no toolbar installed too.

I dont know if Default Settings install the toolbar automatically or gives the option to install.

Atleast here with custom settings no option to install the toolbar & no automatic toolbar install.

2. gery

gery Registered Member

the best thing about Avira is that when you are buying a certain product there are no hidden costs . Take for instance ZoneAlarm and the worst of all AVG. You buy the premium version which costs a devil and then they say you have pay for the regular modules such as Family Safety or PC Tune Up or The Android AV ........
    Avira is :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: for me

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I would assume so. I will probably wait until then myself. I have Avira Internet Security 2012 paid edition.

4. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Avira never had a good suite IMHO, the free version however is indisputably the best and worth the ads.

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

There are bug fixes on the way for 2013. I'd hold off before upgrading.

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Agree.
    In fact, the same is valid for whatever product (cars included): better wait after the official release.

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

I am very unhappy about this, too. The APC detection rate is great, but the product integration of it is just the most minimal possible. Sigh! I was hoping to get more advanced APC elements out with a service pack later this year, but Win8 support got higher prio. Maybe I have to yell a bit more at people to get priorities changed :rolleyes:

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

be careful about that yelling Stefan.;)

9. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Is your new avatar a communist flag?

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I just want to report that I had Avira Premium 2013 for a couple of days with everything enabled except the mail guard, and it is really very light and fast. I usually have Avira on demand, but I think I'll keep this version resident as it doesn't affect my computer performance.

11. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Did you experience some issues in your couple of days?

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

o_O I'm sure you didn't mean to say that. This isn't a political discussion.

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No issues whatsoever. With past versions there was always a slight albeit noticeable slowdown with the web guard, with this version there is really no delay. Speed is my first concern, as detection has always been excellent with all Avira versions. Last but not least it seems to play well with Sandboxie (of course with other machines results may be different).

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You probably will, but when the time is right I would still prefer to uninstall manually the old version, clean up leftovers, and install the new version.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I like your plan.:)

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I used revo uninstaller (moderate level) to uninstall avira internet security 2012 and then tried the avira registry cleaner http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-registrycleaner

After scanning with the registry cleaner I saw it had detected many avira entries missed by revo (or possibly not detected by revo because of the moderate setting as opposed to advanced mode). There were also entries detected by the avira cleaner for bitdefender, eset, gdata and norton.

17. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

If you install then uninstall the toolbar, does the popup come back?

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Idiotic decision which will steer off many users...

Plus they seriously have to add automatic threats cleaning. It's 2012 for god sake and less knowledgeable users get confused even by a rather clear popup.
    I mean, i wouldn't install this on anyones computer because i'd be unsure if they'd click Remove button or not...

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've always used the dedicated Avira registry cleaner after manually uninstalling Avira, and it has always found 3 unimportant entries leftover. In my experience The Avira uninstaller does a good job, but it's better to check with another tool if possible.

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yes, it's always a good practice to run the Avira reg cleaner after uninstalling the program and prior installing a new version. I even go further and run jv16PT's own reg cleaner before applying Avira's one ;)

21. carat

carat Guest

Do you mean it's impossible to autoquarantine malware in Avira Free? :doubt:

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Correct. You have to manually click Remove, otherwise the crap is just left there.

23. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

ditto
    You just have to follow some simple steps.
    From Avira's forums:

24. Sealord

Sealord Registered Member

In Antivirus Premium installer, one of the first things it does is try to connect with Ask.com. Even if you decline the toolbar options, you still end up with 3 files signed by Ask.com in the program folder, one being the installer. No way to delete them permanently, they will turn up again when Avira updates.:thumbd:

25. Fly

Fly Registered Member

That's not good at all.

Can you say which files/how you determined that they were signed by Ask.com ?

I never know or pay attention, unless I get an UAC prompt in Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.