MYFreeAntivirus 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

anyone try this: look like a rebraned BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2012 :argh:
    and it's FREE:
    -ttp://www.mysecuritycenter.com/gb/products/my-free-antivirus
    -ttp://www.mysecuritycenter.com/Eshop/zupa/images/product_page/screenshots/my-free-antivirus-bd/dashboard.png

2. DX2

DX2 Guest

I installed it just to see. Pretty light on your system, 3 processes at about 13-15mbs. The UI is a lot like BitDefender. I'll test it against some viruses.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  3. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

why its say 29 days left o_O

4. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

The screenshot shows the paid upgrade, not the free version. Anyways it appears they partnered with BD to borrow their stuff... nice I guess, since I used to think this company was suspicious because of their very simple product name.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

WOT doesn't seem to be too happy about this webpage...

6. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

MyFreeAntivirus used to use CA's rebranded products, good to know it has switched over to the latest BitDenfender.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Comodo site inspector online scan says otherwise.

Attached Files:

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Very interesting. I'll have to take for a spin. They certainly do not make it easy to download the free version though. I had to go through a "shopping cart", where they had added about 7 other pay products, which I had to remove one by one.

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah clocks. I just did the same thing. They also want a phone number. Had to give them an old number. The download for the free version is kind of hard to find. Like you said they don't make it easy. I guess they have to try and make their money some way.

10. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

11. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Damn, that was a whole lot of work to get the 243MB download. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to click on the product after I received my email and created an account (password is in email) then I got the option to "download a trial" which I'm assuming that once I install it, I can input my license key to then activate it...........I'm assuming here, but what a pain ~ Snipped as per TOS ~

edit: I finally received a 2nd email with direct download links (x32 & x64) to the free product. So now I'm downloading 234MB again as the exe has a different name (free) then the first exe I downloaded.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  12. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

It wanted me to uninstall comodo firewall before it would allow an install. :thumbd: That's what I think about that. I also was unable to kill the installer. It said that it was running in windows defender and couldn't erase the file sitting in my download folder. Thank god for unlocker. One of my favorite programs for naughty software. Nothing is more satisfying than unlocking a file and then kicking it to the curb.

13. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Typical Bitdefender

14. DX2

DX2 Guest

Yeah, it wanted me to uninstall mbam....I just reinstall it afterwards..

15. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I'm curious if there are any ad pop-ups or banners?

16. DX2

DX2 Guest

17. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Thanks. I can live with a small ad, but not a single popup!

18. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

The free version is permanent free or free for 1 year only? One of a member in the Comodo forum mentioned when he tried to purchase it, it mentions free for 1 year. But the comparison table on the site shows free version too. I installed free version but I am able to enable/disable paid features mentioned in the comparison table for paid AV. Much confusion here.

Its light here on 512 MB RAM, XP SP3 32 Bits

19. khanyash

32 bit is 220MB

64 bit is 242MB

Right?

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Can anyone comment if the annoying auto-delete of Bitdefender is there, or if it is more like Roboscan where they give you an option on how to handle threats?

21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Not sure what the x32 is, but you are correct with the x64 being 242MB

Can't you just turn off AutoPilot?

22. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I went ahead and installed it on my everyday machine (I have a clean install with drivers & updates to go back to). Since it's a real machine, I of course will not test it against malware, but I will live with if for a few days to see how it behaves and effects performance.

*Unless something major happens, I will continue to add to my EDIT below rather than creating a new post, so if you're interested, check back to see what I think*

EDIT: It took 2 reboots with 2 virus database updates to get MFA to tell Windows Security Center that it was up to date. It registered fine, but I kept getting the Action Center warning that MFA "Reports it is out of date" in both the Virus Protection and Spyware Protection menus. All is well now. There have been no pop-ups, and only a small link type add to "Win money and earn prizes". It also comes with a toolbar active in default mode, but I turned that off after install, but before launching IE9. MFA has 3 processes and uses 10-30MGs of RAM................Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1

I tried to download the Eicar file, and instead of downloading it and then quarantining it, I got a web page that looked exactly like the Traffic Light warning and I noticed that the Traffic Light thingy is in fact installed in both IE9 and Dragon. Not a huge intrusive toolbar, just that little black tab in both browsers.

Web page loading is as quick as any other AV that has been on this machine, with the latest being WSA AV. Program opening is also very snappy and I noticed no big change in shutdown or boot times, although I have to admit, I don't really care about a few seconds here or there anyway.

The Traffic Light feature "Search Adviser" that gives you a red or green check on your search results doesn't work with google, just yahoo! and bing.

Geekuninstaller shows the installed size at 153MG

The installer is digitally signed

I scanned my machine with HMP, MBAM (full) and SAS (full) and all can back clean. Every single screen on the UI or Traffic Light tool/warning page has the MYFreeAntivirus 2012 logo on it instead of bitdefender. Obviously someone went to a lot of work to make this their own...Nice attention to detail.

First full scan on a very light machine took 25 minutes. Not sure if full scans will be faster now that I did the first one (like MSE)

23. khanyash

I have sent them an email. Lets see what they reply.

"The site has Free AV under Free Tools & also a comparison table featuring Free AV, Paid AV & Internet Security.

There are few confusion I want to clear.

I installed the Free AV version with the licence received. But the product mentions 365 days remaining. Does this mean its free for 1 year only?

You have licenced Bitdefender. Are you using latest Bitdefender Engine, Databases, etc? And few more info would be good.

Your products looks exactly like Bitdefender except the name. Any similarities/differences, etc."

24. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I was wondering the same thing and would like to hear what answer you receive. I found the following which leads me to believe that the renewal is just like avast!'s where it is basically a formality. From their web site:

"Subscription:
    All MYSecurityCenter products are sold as a yearly subscription, this is irrelevant of the initial promotional period and exclusive of PC Help & Support and Extended Download these will continue as a monthly renewal. You will receive a renewal of 12 months after the promotion has finished.
    All subscriptions are valid until the end-user has unsubscribed.
    All subscriptions will automatically be renewed by MYSecurityCenter until unsubscribed.
    If for whatever reason MYSecurityCenter cannot automatically renew the subscription, an invoice will be sent to the customer via email. 1 initial invoice, 3 reminders if first invoice is not paid. Reminder 2, 3 and 4 will have a late payment fee of 10, 20 and 30 GBP added.

How to unsubscribe
    You can at any given time unsubscribe to our products and services. If you want to unsubscribe you can disable the auto-renewal by going to your account or please send an enquiry to the support team support@mysecuritycenter.com and they will be happy to assist you.
    With MYSecurityCenter it is of course FREE to unsubscribe, there are no costs attached at all and there is no binding period.
    Unsubscription shall be received a minimum of 3 days before the next period starts in order for the subscription not to fall into the next period."

And in my account it says:

Products
    MYFreeAntivirus 2012

Licenses 1

Expiration Date N/A

Status N/A

25. DX2

DX2 Guest

If you look in task manager, it shows bdagent, which is bit defender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.