Eset 5 and Mozilla Thunderbird

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Dr_No_pt, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr_No_pt

Dr_No_pt Registered Member

Hello,

I'm getting problems with ESET (latest version) and Thunderbird in my company.
    Every computer that has ESET (latest version) installed will make Thunderbird vanish when attaching a network file.

- Ever computer is running Win XP SP3 32-bit and one server (Domain controller) with Server 2003 standard 32-bit where files are located. Mozilla Thunderbird 10.0.2 in all machines
    - ESET Anti virus 5.0.95.0 English is installed on all computers. ( Server doesn't have )
    - Components installed:

Code:
    Virus signature database: 6950 (20120308)
    Update module: 1039 (20120307)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1343 (20120307)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1121 (20111208)
    Archive support module: 1142 (20120229)
    Cleaner module: 1053 (20120120)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1029 (20120305)
    ESET SysInspector module: 1224 (20120223)
    Self-defense support module: 1018 (20100812)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1006 (20110921)
    Translation support module: 1044 (20120223)
    HIPS support module: 1044P (20120306)
    Internet protection module: 1031 (20120123)
    Database module: 1018 (20120203)
    - You create one email and when attaching a file located in the server (shared network folder) in Mozilla Thunderbird the program just vanishes. ( some times not but most of the times )

I've tried to right click and choose "Temporarily disable protection" on ESET and it doesn't happen this way.
    I have one machine that still has version 5.0.94.0 and it doesn't happen this bug. It runs fine.

Can someone help me ?

Thank you. :)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET does not integrate with Mozilla Thunderbird v6 or newer. Does disabling real-time protection make a difference then? Also I'd like to emphasize that there's no Business Edition of v5 available yet and the current version is intended for home segment. It does not contain feautures demanded by administrators and does not allow installation on servers either.

3. gvanosch

gvanosch Guest

Hello,

Is it possible that Eset supports the plugin in thunderbird mail with older versions of Eset,in order Eset has more time to build a new version that supports the plugin from Eset Smart Security 5 in thunderbird.

gvanosch

4. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I am sure you mean "older versions of Thunderbird." If you have a newer version of Thunderbird (such as 10.x or the current 11.0.1), there is no integration with Eset, no matter what version of Eset software you may have.

5. dabigoreo

dabigoreo Registered Member

Ok, somebody needs to get their story straight here. I installed Eset AV 5.0.95.0 and this is what is shown in the advanced settings for email:

http://dabigoreo.fastmail.fm/Eset_5095.jpg

If Eset AV DOES NOT integrate into Thunderbird, why is it listed in the advanced email settings for integration?! :thumbd:

6. Marcos

ESET v5 indeed integrates into TB v5 and older.

7. dabigoreo

TB v5?!!! That is at least 5 versions behind the current one! Does Eset honestly expect anyone to be running an obsolete version of Thunderbird with their CURRENT version AV program?! Sorry but if Eset AV does not support the LATEST version of Thunderbird then Eset has no business listing it in advanced email settings for integration. This could easily by interpreted as false advertising regarding the capabilities of the AV program. :thumbd:

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What if somebody does use older TB version? That the integration does not work with latest TB, and why it doesn't, is known. Also see
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2138

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. dabigoreo

Ok, if it ONLY works with TB v5 and older, then that should be spelled out in the setting description instead of leaving it open to assumption/interpretation! Sorry but Eset has nothing to defend here except blatant misleading advertising. I'm done making my point. :thumbd:

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

One of the changes made in ESET NOD32 Antivirus v5.0.91 (and newer, of course) versions was to implement scanning of POP3, POP3S, IMAP and IMAPS traffic for threats outside of the email client. This means that if you are running Mozilla Thunderbird 6.0 or later that malicious code sent to your email account will still be detected by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

For more information, please see ESET Knowledgebase Article #2138, "Which email clients are compatible with Windows ESET security products?."

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. rcdailey

Given that, I don't see why e-mail integration would be necessary anymore, at least for users of Thunderbird. Well, maybe there is one reason to try for integration: the ability to scan outgoing e-mail.

12. Marcos

Any file that is accessed (attached) is scanned by real-time protection.

13. rcdailey

That's a lot like the way AMON worked in 2.x of NOD32. I never really thought that outgoing mail had to e scanned directly, but a lot has happened over the years since version 2.x of NOD32. The reason I remember this is that I was using Eudora at the time and Eudora was not directly supported as Outlook Express was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.