Sandboxie new user

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by lubieplacki, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

Hi fellow users,

So I installed Sandboxie today and I'm learning it now. I wanted to buy it in future to make me more secured - I like to download a lot stuff. I added my browsers to run every time in sandbox and I added my download area folder to fast recovery list. Now I can choose what kind of files I downloaded I want to keep and what kind of files I want to delete without them making any harm to my computer. There are few things I want to know now: If I downloaded some files and they're sandboxed how I can scan them with my AV? I want to make sure they're secure before I'll really save them to my computer. Second question is that my antivirus can see what I have in sandbox or my antivir it's going to detect any threats just when I'll save these files on my pc outside of sandbox? And one more question - I have my Chrome sandboxed but when it's sandboxed I can't save any bookmarks etc. - how to configure it to be able to save bookmarks and meanwhile have it secure sandboxed?

Sorry for a bit newbie questions but I'm new to this software, thanks in advance.

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

> If I downloaded some files and they're sandboxed how I can scan them with my AV?
    All files in Sandbox folder or sandboxed are always available to be scanned by your AV (real time or not); Sandboxie doesn't deny AV action.

> Second question is that my antivirus can see what I have in sandbox
    Yes.

> Chrome sandboxed ( ... )
    Since I use Opera can't clarify you; but there are here too many Chrome users that will explain this point - I'm almost sure...

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Make sure SBIE is configured to allow direct access to the Chrome bookmarks, per screenshot. HTH :)

SBIE Chrome config.jpg

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Sandbox Settings/Applications/Web Browsers/Chrome - select Allow direct access to Google Chrome Bookmarks

or

Sandbox Settings/Resource Access/File Access/Direct Access - Add Chrome bookmarks folder.

Cheers

Edit: I see Page42 has answered while I was typing. ooopso_O

5. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

Oh, I must have missed that browser settings part. Thanks.

So if I want to scan a file before I'll recover it with fast recovery option where I should head to find this file? If I want to scan them from my download folders I must 1st exclude them so they're secure no more. I tried to look on C but can't find where Sandboxie keeps all sandboxes files before I'll "unsandbox" them. I saw this directory somewhere in program settings but can't find it. Where it is?

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Look in the same settings directory tree image that I posted above and expand the Recovery settings. There you will see where SBIE places them or you can add a location as you wish.

I don't follow your question about excluding before scanning. Just scan them, is all you need to do, if I understand your question.

7. Hank88

Hank88 Registered Member

You might want to go over to the Sandboxie Forums and check this out before you accidentally let some Malware out of your Sandbox. If you have other question or problems, you can get almost immediate help there. All this is included in the Lifetime License, so you might as well use them.

Help & FAQ

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

Edit: For the most part, the user is the weak Link in the Security chain, so it would be to your benefit to brush up on the in's and outs of how it works.

Ken:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You ll find it in the sandbox folder in C drive. Inside that folder you ll find all files/changes done in the sandbox that you are using including new downloads.

Bo

9. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Newbie question here....ok I've got my browsers sandboxed how do I set downloads area to auto recover so that I don't have to worry about not saving something?

10. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

If you look at the screenie Page 42 uploaded at post 3 you will see in the tree on the left hand side a item called Resource Access. Expand that and find Direct Access. Just browse to the path from there and select it.

Sometimes a good idea to the 'force' that Direct Access folder to sandbox too so anything that unintentionally escapes will be run inside the sandbox.

Cheers

11. buckslayr

So basically I want to give my downloads folder direct access in each of my browser sandboxes and then set up a downloads sandbox and force it to run sandboxed?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

That's what I do at least. I know others who do too.

With direct access you open a direct path to the real system from the sandbox that could be exploited so sandboxing it ensures anything downloaded maliciously or in error is contained.

An alrernative to direct acces is setting your download folder as a quick recovery folder and it will ask you if you want to allow everytime a file writes out of the sandbox.

Cheers

13. buckslayr

Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.