Is there an Altiris SVS alternative for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by connect4, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. connect4

connect4 Registered Member

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Hi Connect4

Altiris was taken over by Symantec some time ago.The product is now called Symantec Workspace
    Virtualization,you'll be pleased to hear that it works fine with Win7 (32 and 64bit).

You can download it from this link,click on Trialware,it's free for home users.

http://www.symantec.com/workspace-virtualization

3. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Does that mean the trial period is unending for home users? o_O

4. andyman35

That's correct yes.
    It comes complete with a universal serial key and doesn't expire.It's always been free for home users.

It's actually quite a task finding the download link for this software,I had to trawl through a fair few pages to get to it.:blink:
    It's worth the effort though,it's a fantastic piece of software.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Thanks andyman. Is it necessary to fill-out all of those registration forms?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  6. andyman35

Yes you do need to fill in the questionnaire but it's a one-time thing;for updates you need only log in with your e-mail/password.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Andyman,

Could you post some experiences and screenprints. SVS was never intended as a security program, but it had some fan's using it for the ease of configuration use (remove installed programs easily).

Why and how are you using it?

8. connect4

Hey thanks Andyman, the program seems to work good so far on my VM :thumb:

9. connect4

Kees,

I don't have much experience with this new version, but for the original Altiris SVS on XP, I don't rely on it as a security feature. (I only install layers from trustworthy programs). I still mostly rely on LUA/SRP/Hardening/etc for security. I use it mostly for convenience and to minimize local installs on my OS (for maximum stability). It seems like the more I locally install programs, the more problems I run into.

For example- I have WinRAR on 24/7. However, I only active WinZip from time to time so I will activate it when needed. Same with Paragon Home 2012.

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hmmm...VERY impressive software. You don't usually find this kind of niche software, of this quality, for free. Thanks for the tip!

11. Kees1958

In the past I have experimented with SVS in XP using a admin and power user setup with different layers for office, web, e-mail and media player.

Regards Kees.

12. andyman35

Kees1958

I've not ignored your query,just been very hectic here.I'll detail my usage scenarios asap.

Thanks,Andy.

13. Kees1958

Take your time, please :)

14. lurker20

lurker20 Registered Member

I am fairly familiar with this program and as mentioned above it is not a security product but very good in adding and removing virtualized applications easily. The below screenshot should give a approx idea what the program does.

svs.PNG

15. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Anyone care to explain (in a few words) how SWV works? Is it like having an application installed inside a sandbox, without SB's security features?

TIA

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you say how you use it? It's not clear what purpose this serves.

17. Kees1958

Thx, very much

Altris used to offer virtualisation without containment. It did not stop process/memory based intrusions, but it seperates files/registry/settings changes from the real system. Symantec added some isolation options like: installing comodo dragon browser with these options (make sure to add the flash and the pdf dll into the comodo dragon directory).

- enabling this layer at startup
    - keep file changes in this layer
    - hide this layer from other layers
    - hide other layers from this layer

Does it uses a lot of CPU?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  18. lurker20

Basically this program does a folder redirection, registry virtualization. It captures application installation as a layer. I use it with MS office as a layer which will be completely on demand. In other words, all its registry keys, services and its drivers (if any) will only be active if the layer is active.

Sorry for the delay. I havent noticed any performance issue with this. This can actually save lot of system resources when Adobe and Microsoft office applications are virtualized and used ondemand.

it uses kernel filter driver for folder redirection and may cause conflict with Security products.
    :)

19. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Thank you both for the information.

20. ralws277

ralws277 Registered Member

@Connect4:

I've started looking into using Altiris / Symantec SWV myself, mostly just to cut down on clutter on my system. As I was reading through this thread, I noticed a couple things that you said that surprised me.

First, you mentioned that you have put Paragon Home in a layer. I was under the impression that Altiris/SWV wouldn't work with applications that installed low-level drivers. I believe Paragon uses a driver to do the partitioning work, and am wondering if besides "packaging" the program, have you actually run it from the layer? Does it work with no problems? Paragon programs are large, I have a few, and would love to get them out of my active partition.

The other thing that surprised me a little was that you mentioned that you ran SWV in a virtual machine, and it ran fine. I would have thought that adding virtualization on top of virtualization that way might have been a bit much for the either the virtual machine or SWV to handle. Tho the three most popular VMs are supposed to be quite similar, I'm only familiar with VirtualBox. Which VM did you test SWV on??

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Robert.....

PS. I was looking thru some notes today and came across something I had jotted down a while ago and forgotten about (probably because it's not a free program). It's another application virtualization program, written by the people who initially developed Thinstall, as far as I can tell. It's called Evalaze, in case you want to take a look at it. Looks like a good program also...

21. lurker20

Right! not recommended. Even if it works you can expect a bsod. I would rather not risk virtualizing a security/backup program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.