TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ultim

ultim Developer

Thanks for reporting. Fixed in the next release.

Absolutely no difference. The tray menu option is just a shortcut. But I will probably change the tray option to "Enable blocklists" and it will enable/disable all blocklists at the same time in the future.

2. ultim

ultim Developer

Here is a short tutorial on how you can help to include additional apps in the database. Just four easy steps:

1. Start the DevelTool from the Start menu.
    2. Under the first tab, click "Browse" to select the executable you want included.
    3. Click create.
    4. Send me the XML-output you get in the larger text area. Include some small additional info about the application (name, url, which profiles does it work with in TinyWall).

See the pictures below for illustrations corresponding to each step.

Attached Files:

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Found a bug. When my pc wakes from sleep it is unable to find my wireless network. If I change the firewall to allow outgoing I have internet access but windows still shows me as not connected to a network. Once internet access is achieved I can re-enable normal mode.

4. 2good

2good Guest

I don't know if this is a bug or intentional but when on learning mode and reboot it switches back to normal mode, overall very good software.

5. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Running very smooth for me, thanks for the quick update :) .

6. ultim

ultim Developer

I'm going to check it, thx.

Intentional. Because learning mode leaves the computer unprotected, I'm trying to prevent the user to forget TinyWall in learning mode. It is the same reason why the disabled mode is also not remembered.

7. brutus01

brutus01 Registered Member

Hi,

how could I enable PING on my windows 7 machine with tinywall v1? I know there exists a default windows rule for this. But if I enable windows default rules in TW v1 this won't get enabled as incomming rule and if I enable it myself in the windows firewall settings it won't stay enabled.

8. ultim

ultim Developer

Do you mean to ping from the machine, or ping to the machine with TinyWall on it?
    To ping from the machine (send a ping), you need to enable ICMP under the Special Exceptions tab.
    TinyWall does not yet allow the machine to be pinged (to receive a ping).

9. anuraag

anuraag Registered Member

Error every time Tinywall v2 beta starts
    Untitled.png
    What is this starts with tinywall v2 beta
    Untitled2.png

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  10. brutus01

sad, 'cause I used to ping my windows clients from a server and let him go to sleep if no client is online...

11. ultim

ultim Developer

Thanks for reporting the error. Luckily the screenshot contains just enough information for me to get a good idea of what is going wrong. Fix will be in the next release.

That is the window of the tray application, it disappears automatically after the tray loads. You probably don't see it disappear because the tray crashes for you with the above error. Next build will solve both problems.

12. ultim

ultim Developer

I'll make a configuration option to enable pinging the client machines in the next build of v2.

13. EboO

EboO Registered Member

you are no longer referenced in google, if I type the keyword tiny wall it doesn't found your website.

14. brutus01

Thanks!

Do you plan to support rules based on the network setting (private, public, ...)

15. ultim

ultim Developer

If you search for tinywall (written together), then it shows up.

16. ultim

ultim Developer

Basic support is already there. The rules you select for one network type will only be applied to that network type. If the user/Windows switches the network type, TinyWall will automatically apply the rules that you defined the last time you used that network.

There are some small limitation though. You cannot change the netwrok type from TinyWall, for that you still need to use the Windows GUI. Also, Windows supports multiple active network types at the same time, while TinyWall will always only select one. These limitations might be lifted in a future version.

17. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Sorry for the mistake :oops:

18. anuraag

anuraag Registered Member

@ultim
    Can you tell which windows services or startup apps needed for Tinywall so that i can avoid unwanted UAC on Windows startup.

19. ultim

ultim Developer

At a minimum mpssvc, eventlog and the winmgmt services. Plus of course the services that these depend on (indirect dependencies). Whenever TinyWall loads, it should automatically set these into the right state, so unless another program or another user disables something, the UAC prompt should only come once. Note that TinyWall also checks the indirect service dependencies, which are determined automatically at runtime.

20. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

The "check updates" does not work for me everything else works.

Attached Files:

21. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, I've been very busy with other things the past week.

That message is ok, I disabled updates server-side on purpose to prevent people from updating the previous beta to the current one (because that update is not supported). It'll be re-enabled with the stable release of 2.0.

22. entrecour

entrecour Registered Member

Hi,

I am new here and to Tinywall. I have ditched McAfee as I am not happy with the flexiblity, control, and event logging of their firewall.

I have a blocked event that I would like your thoughts on. The destination address is a link-local address. If I unblock it it comes back again.

tinywall blocked event.jpg

Any idea what is causing it, and what I should do about it?

I am on Vista 32bit, connected via wifi to a router / dsl modem. The local network is mixed Vista / XP / W7 / W8 Beta / Apple / Squeezebox.

I have uPnP, media streaming, and file and folder sharing enabled (uPNP is also enabled on the router).

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  23. ultim

ultim Developer

I guess you've found a bug. If you unblock it using the Connections window, it always adds the "Outbound" exception for unrecognized processes, meaning it will allow outgoing TCP and UDP connections/packets. In your case, however, the protocol is IGMP, so it is still blocked. The only problem is I also do not like the idea of using Blind trust in this case, but I'll try to come up with something. Anyway, thanks for reporting.

24. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I've been using TinyWall for a week or two. I'm having the following issues:

1. After reboot TinyWall starts either in normal mode (even if it was in Allow Outgoing mode pre-reboot), or sometimes the tray icon isn't visible. To get the tray icon back, I have to kill TinyWall.exe's (2 instances) from TaskManager, and then run it again (even though it also restarts itself, or at least one instance of it restarts).

2. Sometimes it blocks firefox from allowing access to certain mail or https address like gmail (maybe all https). I can access gmail using chrome in normal mode and with firefox if I set TinyWall to Allow Outgoing. fwiw, i tried changing firefox.exe rule from 'Web browser' to 'Blind trust' but I still cannot access gmail. I think this type of thing happens most often when my computer wakes from sleep mode or when I switch between wireless/LAN or VPN to non-VPN or stuff like that.

3. There's been other times when something that has been allowed in TinyWall rules doesn't work in normal mode and I'm forced to use 'Allow outgoing' instead.

fwiw, I was using Windows Firewall Control before but uninstalled it because of compatibility issues with Avast and several other issues. I'm probably going to try Windows Firewall Notifier next since TinyWall isn't working for me either.

25. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

what langage is tinywall wrote in? just curious :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.