Maxthon, Chrome Plus - good 4...?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by korben, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. Daveski17

I've just been giving Maxthon Portable 3.3.7.2000 a bit of a spin. The adblocker has improved enormously. I'm quite impressed. I've spent way too long trying to hack a British English dictionary (from Chrome) into it. Apparently, it can be done, I've even seen a hack for this, but I just can't seem to emulate it.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  11. Daveski17

From what I can see Maxthon is every bit as secure as Chrome & far superior in both speed & innovation.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. Daveski17

15. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

It's that good??

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Daveski17, the link to PortableApps' Maxthon now resolves to Revision 2 (due to a packaging error). Just FYI.

17. Daveski17

OK thanks. :)

18. Daveski17

I'm not kidding. I'm using the PortableApps version & apart from a few minor things (lack of UK spellchecker etc) I'm hugely impressed. I'm actually using a portable on my notebook's *C Drive as well as flashdrive versions & really haven't found anything faster. SeaMonkey is pretty good on a portable & IMO more responsive than Firefox. Chrome never seemed too good to me as a portable but Maxthon surpasses them all in speed & responsiveness. It lacks an F3 search-in-page, which I miss a bit. But there are plenty of other things like SkyNote, Snap, Resource Sniffer, Magic Fill, Night Mode, built-in translator, a mute button, status bar icons (show/hide) of CPU speed, up/download speeds, available virtual/physical memory, local/public IP & a Safari-style reader. Its adblocker works well, it also has an Opera-style content blocker & there are some extensions available. You can re-skin it without restarting with a choice of several styles (IE 6/8, Maxthon Classic etc). Apart from the problem I mention in the link below, I'm hugely impressed. Plus, running the portable version from my C-Drive seriously makes surfing with my notebook quick.

*Due to this problem.

It lacks an F3 search-in-page, which I miss a bit.

Found it! Ctrl F :thumb:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  19. Tsast42

Does it have access to the Chrome extentions or to a script blocking extention of its own? I used Chrome from the blue days as its performance at the time blew Firefox and Opera out of the water. Then just as Chrome was growing into a monster Mozilla released version 4 and I discovered Palemoon outperformed Chrome with lower resource use. Bye bye Google! I wiped Chrome and never looked back...But this looks tempting :shifty:

20. Daveski17

It has its own extensions page. You may find that being able to read a bit of Mandarin is an advantage though! AFAIK it has no script blocking extension.

I tried Palemoon once, although my desktop 64 bit PC has an AMD processor, which doesn't get on well with Palemoon apparently. I tend to use Waterfox on my desktop.

In my experience the Chrome portable was pitiful compared even to an entire suite like SeaMonkey. Although I still rate the SeaMonkey portable I was looking for a good back-up. Firefox just wasn't hacking it any more, Chrome was worse, Iron was better but buggy & I don't even want to talk about Opera.

I'm still impressed with Maxthon. As ever, it's always swings & roundabouts.

21. Tsast42

Mandarin o_O I thought it was yet another Californian browser from the about page? I don't think I could cope without script blocking, it's just too much fun xD

22. Daveski17

It's Chinese, but utilises the WebKit & Trident rendering engines. Scriptblocking isn't really an issue for me on a portable. Although, with my C-Drive version I tend to use it mainly on pages that I know (Firefox is still my default notebook browser). Having said that, NoScript, as brilliant as it is, is only as good as its whitelist. I could easily open a page that I have trusted for a long time & could possibly still fall prey to a drive-by. Maxthon is new to me really, so I don't know a huge amount about its security. They have a partnership with Kingsoft Security (also Chinese) & I know that Kingsoft have contributed to Maxthon's security in some way. In fact, I believe that they even tried to bundle a free AV option in the installation wizard at some time. I don't think it went down too well with end users though.

I will say one thing, on my notebook Firefox is getting a tad sluggish, particularly the with right click drop-down menu. I tried losing a load of extensions but it affects SeaMonkey to a lesser extent as well. My guess is it's a Gecko thing. Mozilla say they are on to it, I believe them, I honestly do (?). Meanwhile, it's been a joy to surf on my slightly underpowered notebook with the fastest (Eastern) browser in the West LOL!

Secunia ~ Maxthon 3.x

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  23. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Tried Maxathon for the first time.....I too use a netbook a lot of the time, it does have impressive speed....Being a long, long time FF user I'm going through a learning curve on its 'extras'...But I'm liking what I find so far:)

24. Daveski17

I've been using Firefox since the early #2 series. It started to go a bit dodgy for me with Fx 3 & I stopped using it until Fx 4. I don't think that Maxthon will ever really replace Firefox for me (especially Waterfox on my desktop) but Fx isn't really cutting it for a lot of people with note/netbooks nowadays & Maxthon is blisteringly fast on my notebook. It's made surfing pleasant again. BTW, I'm on the same 'extras' learning curve.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.