And the best distro of 2011 is ...

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

That time of the year, the crucial moment. This article reviews the best Linux distribution of 2011, with focus on aesthetics, ease of use, stability, and long-term support. Do take a look, see what Dedoimedo thinks. Feel free to hate, disagree or just plain love me.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/best-distro-2011.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I may not be smart but I have good taste ;)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Where is the third?

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It's CentOS 6 and Kubuntu 11.04 sharing. Too tough to allocate one or the other to 3rd spot.

:)

Also Kubuntu 11.10 is better than Kubuntu 11.04; ( just like Ubuntu 11.10 is an improvement
    over 11.04)

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Wow. I wouldn't have figured ubuntu was number one. I didn't think that gnome3 was that bad. Of course I am fairly new to the world of linux. I do believe that kubuntu is an excellent KDE distro.

6. kjdemuth

Wait. There is no 3rd place. centos and kubuntu are sharing second place. I don't see any 3rd place standing. I vote for bodhi and opensuse sharing 3rd place.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Like olympic medals, two silvers, no bronze ...
    Mrk

8. kjdemuth

Oh ok. Gotcha. Sorry I was a little confused there for a minute.

9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well fair review the main aim of distro should be stable ease of use and good software database and i agree that nothing beats ubuntu in that.

as stability and long term centos and SL are best but they do lack ease of use software database as compair to ubuntu so again fair review

i personaly dont like unity instead i prefer gnome 3 more or xubuntu 11.10

in kde kubuntu is not bad either choice or i say best one .............but the distro which disapointed me most according to mrk review are opensuse and mandriva specially mandriva if its stable i guess could be one of best kde i ever seen awesome fonts looks .............etc

chakra and fedora 16 was also shocking review i didnt use fedora after 14 switch to SL so its good to know that my old time fav distro doing good atleast in kde field :thumb:

and for light distro puppy indeed a champ

also i like xubuntu very much most of you disagree but new 11.10 really worth mrk testing it runs as close to gnome 2x even its not perfect but still stable and rocksoild so that credit also goes to ubuntu core :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1994177&postcount=747

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i vote for Bodhi Linux for distro of the year.

for me, how an OS looks is as important as how well it works.
    based on the E17 Enlightenment windows manager/GUI, Bodhi delivers in all aspects :thumb:

best wishes for the new year everyone! :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

mack_guy,
    Belated merry xmas to you.

Remember the old laptop I was talking about, 512 MB shared memory currently running CentOS 5.7 ?
    Well today I tested the Xubuntu 11.10 live cd and it works very well indeed. So tell me, should I wipe CentOS 5.7 ( running well) and rather install Xubuntu hmm.. ?
    I don't see some of the niggles Mrk. mentioned when testing 11.04 .. Pity about the desktop icons text background - but there was a post showing how to get rid of that.

Will you give me the green light to install ? :argh:

...Waiting...

12. mack_guy911

if i where you friend i go for dual boot cent 5.7 working perfect for you in case you didnt like you still and another option also dual boot didnt take much ram or hardisk

i am also going to upload

xubuntu remix soon i created 1.2 gb 3rd time with cute mac look like themes, VLC, libre office, firefox 9, opera, chromium, docky, rootfolder (every thing to do via root copy paste....etc)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showp...&postcount=747

like i shown above i also copy paste missing icons as theme where not xfce base but gnome so far i manage

themes: uni, mac feanza, uniball, meliae SVG some icons also i take form other themes as well and fuse them together.

didnt try on dvd yet but working fine on virtaulbox tommrow i test it on burning DVD if everything fine i upload it :D

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Well, I removed CentOS 5.7 for these reasons.
    1) The hard drive on this thing is only 36GB.
    2) I wouldn't know how to dual boot CentOS with Xubuntu as CentOS = LVM
    (I thought gparted could only read Lvm, but It can remove, resize, and move them. ? I tried that before finally deleting CentOS 5.7)
    3) There would be too many OS's to update/maintain in this house.

Anyway, Xubuntu starts at about 145MB memory usage. There are some things that may cause me to uninstall it again. viz. the fan is always on, albeit at low level. Also some settings are not remembered, eg. in the power management, and always asking for password after suspend. Sensors will only give me virtual sensors (but they seem accurate).
    The disconnect notification bubble needs to be clicked, i.e. doesn't fade out even when time is changed.

Otherwise appears stable and nice to use. A lot faster than CentOS 5.7

Xubuntu 11.10.png

Edit: Funny from cold start today and no more fan problems at all - i.e. only comes on when needed. :)

temp.png

mem.png

When I insert a cd-rw in order to copy across files I only have read permission and can't
    change it via the properties in r/click context menu.
    Is there something wrong here :-

ocky@ocky-HP-Compaq-nx6110-PT603AA-ABB:~$ ls -l /dev/sr0
    brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2011-12-29 11:30 /dev/sr0
    ocky@ocky-HP-Compaq-nx6110-PT603AA-ABB:~$ groups
    ocky adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare
    ocky@ocky-HP-Compaq-nx6110-PT603AA-ABB:~$

Do I perhaps have to sudo chmod 666 /dev/sr0
    or maybe
    sudo chown root:cdrom /dev/sr0

Regards

Edit: I was just confused because all the stuff on the cd has a lock emblem and is read only, but I can copy the files to
    the hdd where they also have a lock emblem but can be opened, changed in the case of a text file for eg. and then
    saved with a different name. I am just not used to this from my other distros.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  14. mack_guy911

yes @ocky

i also face some rights problems but what i did for that is old windows ways i created a application launcher with root folder name

right click and start application launcher

command

gksudo thunar

you can create a root folder for admin task i do this way simple just like windows

sorry i used to be security freak but now days i like ease of use :D

15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I just added 'Open as root' to r/click context menu. In the Edit menu of Thunar, there is a "User Customizable Actions" option.

Open as root.png

Really low memory usage on Xubuntu. 112 MB on start up. 125 MB with system monitor.

low mem xubuntu.png

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  16. mack_guy911

thats ocky indeed great finding

what i did was installed alacarte and created a menu root folder :)))

mine was little heavy but that because i install too much on it i use same as gnome way :))

may i ask what things you have installed so far look awsome with so light on ram :D

and how about speed and stability ease of use ............. etc comparing to old centOS :p

i ask above one for newbies :D

edit: by the way have you read that :D

http://www.dedoimedo.com/life/fanboys.html

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks mack_guy :)

Maybe all this Xubuntu stuff should be ported (lol), to a thread of its own ? Eg. Xubuntu 11x ?
    Feels like we are hijacking this thread.

I have made a little animated gif to show how to add shred to context menu. Choose your icon.

Xubuntu shred.gif

Btw. Maybe awn is chewing up your memory. Quite frankly I find the dock-like panel in Xubuntu quite
    adequate. Other stuff I have includes Opera, Bitdefender, Oracle jre-7u2, Vlc, totem and some gnome
    stuff like gedit, assogiate, system monitor etc. panel applets. Everything working perfectly (touch wood).
    More responsive than CentOS 5.7 on this laptop.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm quite shocked you classify GNOME3 as a "disaster" even when decorated with MATE/MGSE, yet don't attribute the "disaster" tag to Unity, which is equally of one.

19. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

20. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Also my favourite :thumb:

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I also vote for bodhi linux......it's simple and awesome.......

live happy :D
    cheers :thumb:

[MOVE]HAPPY NEW YEAR !!![/MOVE]

22. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Unity works perfectly fine, in fact now that I am used to it, even in KDE, I sometimes feel that Unity does it better and with ease especially on notebook environment. I don't know about best but the most accepted distro would be Ubuntu as usual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.