BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So moral of the story is.

Is it worth installing this? Sounds like after reading through the thread, there are fp's as well as browsing slowdowns. Or is it now time to give this a go?

Thanks in advance.

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

in my opinion, this is a very very good software. my only attack vector is via browsing the web so using traffic-light means that i dont need a classic realtime AV as the INSTALLER version of traffic light scans all objects whilst i am surfing the web in realtime (browser add on version are not very useful in my eyes as they just use a blacklist of bad websites and they do not scan exe's, dll's etc)

removing a realtime av and using trafficlight has given my comp a new lease of life, use safe browsing practices along with a good firewall/imager and anyone will remain safe

edit- i used to get slowdowns but that problem seems to have been sorted with the latest version

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

the full installer used to slowdown my pc but the browser add-on is very light and no slowdown.....also the full version is still in beta......

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Ah, but I wish it was so easy.
    Per my sig, I am using Chrome, and there is no check for update feature... that I can see.
    So again, how to update TL?
    The extension website says the latest version is Dec.5th but mine was last updated on Nov.23rd.
    :)

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Open chrome://settings/extensions and click Update extensions. But, that will only update the extensions, not the actual databases.

TL updates the database manually. Sometimes it's needed to close and reopen the browser.

Then again, relatives using Chrome noticed some issues with extensions not appearing, not updating.

I can't even install from Google Web Store... lol

6. Trooper

Thanks for the reply. Since I do use a real time av I guess I will have to pass on this one. Thanks for the information!

7. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I must be OCD, I don't know why the TrafficLight tab in the main browsing window isn't more of an issue for everyone.

treehouse786, at first I thought the same thing, browsing is my main vulnerability and TL would be the perfect solution. Then I found out that the installer version was needed for best browsing protection, and if you are going to run TL, why not just a real-time AV? My experience was that there are some good AVs that slowed my computer down less than TL.

8. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have been using the full installer version for a while but I don't know if I have the latest version. Any way to tell?

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi m00nbl00d,
    Upon opening chrome://settings/extensions, there is no Update extensions option to click.
    I finally just quickly uninstalled and reinstalled TL and the program and defs are now current.
    I'll just keep an eye on it.
    I had Google Updater disabled, preferring to update Chrome manually (due to Sandboxie), but I read in the help files that there are issues with TL not updating even with Google Update enabled.
    Thanks

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You have to select the option Developer mode. Forgot to mention that. :D

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That made a difference. ;)

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I hardly ever notice it, justenough.
    Very well hidden, actually... only dropping down 1/16th of an inch.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

no idea.......used the installer for a couple of days......slowed down my browsing.....uninstalled it.........now using the browser add-on........also using panda cloud av so no need for tl full because as treehouse786 said it scans all objects whilst surfing the web in realtime and scans exe's, dll's etc........

14. justenough

justenough Registered Member

It might only be 1/16 inch, but it's still a bump inside the straight frame of the browsing window. What other program does such a thing? I can't think of one that intrudes into that space.

15. treehouse786

TL cant slow down your computer as its a HTTP scanner, it does however slow down your browsing speed. i use my computer for video editing, website making, games etc so not having a classic real time AV and using TL helps me alot in terms of overall computer speed. to me its the worth the hit in browsing speed if it means my programs, games etc run faster

16. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I might just try the add-on because I also use Panda Cloud.

17. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Still the 23rd :( *sighs* Would a reinstall fix it?

18. treehouse786

thats cuz the browser add-on does not scan files or http traffic, if you went on a well known legitimate website which was compromised then the browser add-on will not help you one bit where as the full installer might ;)

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

welcome buddy :thumb: ...go ahead ....you'll like the add-on....

yeah you're right....

it'll not help but I've other security measures in place to more than compensate that......the full tl comes with many other features like scanning files and downloads....which may conflict or overlap my other security measures for the least...
    and you yourself said:

....that's why I prefer the add-on to the full installer.....now if it were like mbam which is meant to be used with an av I would be more than happy to use full tl...I absolutely love the layered security approach......

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  20. Trooper

So wait the browser add-on does not scan files or http traffic? So if I am using a real time av, could I just use the add-on? So what is the add-on doing if its not scanning traffic? What's the point?

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

here you go......;)

22. Trooper

Thank you kind sir.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

welcome....;)

24. treehouse786

ye the browser add-on is intended for people who already have http scanners in their setup. the add-on version uses a blacklist of bad domain names and the search result analyzer does reputation checks, not real time checks but i do see it being useful for people with http scanners already in place.

for example;

add-on= user clicks on www.bbc.com, TL checks the domain 'bbc.com' to see if its in bitdefenders blacklist. if not it lets the browser access the website.

installed version= same as above but before letting the user on it scans bbc.com/load.js /slideshow.js /bbc.css /script.js /software.exe /plugin.exe etc etc

hope this helps clarify the differences between the versions

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@treehouse786
    so if I have an av which does all of that the installer does, will tl full and the av conflict or get along fine.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.