SRWare Iron 15.0.900.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Seeker, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, the Iron site is 'ad city'.

OK, turn off your UAC. copy Fanboy's list

Paste said list into Local Disc (C) - Program Files - SRWare Iron - adblock

Turn UAC back on/restart computer

'Simples' as the meercats say in those terrible ITV ads!

2. Daveski17

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yes, I did. I edited my last post.

Regular ads are blocked. In-plugin ads (ads in videos, flash, etc) are not blocked.

Chrome can block these with the experimental extensions API.

Iron can too but you need to install ABP + turn on the EE API, which is the same process as Chrome so I really see no benefit.

4. Daveski17

In my opinion it's still better than using ABP. I've used both together in the past. I didn't notice any conflicts & I never saw an ad (that I can remember). Unfortunately Iron/Fanboy's list is a pain in the arse to update &/or disable.

5. Daveski17

It's the experimental bit that worries me.

6. Hungry Man

I mean, I can see how in some situations they can be considered of equal value. But if you watch anything online that has in-video ads it is clearly better to use ABP.

Mid december it'll hit stable. I have no 0 issues with it.

7. Daveski17

OK. That sounds good. I just checked & I don't see any plug-in ads on Demand Five & 4oD in Iron just using its internal adblocker. Fanboy's list may be area specific. The one I posted in the link may be more country-specific. I live in the UK.

8. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

I have spent the better part of the day reading about the three Web Browsers mentioned in this Thread:
    SRWare Iron 15.0.900.0

The three Browsers in discussion are: SRWare Iron Browser, Google Chrome Browser, and QTWeb Browser.

My final decision and recommended choice for an secondary Browser is: Google Chrome Browser.

The reason for this final decision and recommendation is based on the most important security feature for any Software
    Program: Automatic Updates.

Of the three Browsers, Google Chrome Browser is the only Browser that is going to make sure the browser is up-to-date
    with the latest security updates. Security must always be at the top of the list.

The other two Browsers, SRWare Iron and QTWeb must be manually updated leaving the security of the Browser up to the
    End User, and most of the time the End User is not going to do that. Once the Browser is installed security and
    updating will be the least concern and most likely negleted and soon forgoten about all together.

As mentioned, the 'Under the Hood' settings for the Google Chrome Browser can be Disabled to render the Browser equal
    to the SRWare Iron Browser, however, the SRWare Iron Browser is not going to keep the Browser Automatically Udated
    with the latest security updates and because of that the battle with Malware is already lost.

And finally, The Installation ID Is An Permanient Fixed Identifier, however, Google is not the only developer to use
    this method and will not be the last. At least Google is up front and open about it, as Microsoft is.
    Microsoft uses this method and technology extensively and is nothing new.

HKEY1952

9. Hungry Man

I think it's worth mentioning that this ID is also optional in Linux.

10. HKEY1952

Thanks Pac Man for the information.

HKEY1952

11. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

What do you think about the use of Chromium and a auto-updater like this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/Chromium-Auto-Updater.shtml

Maybe it gives response to some privacy issues related with Chrome, assure the auto-updates, and keeps the same good functionalities?

Thanks

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But then one won't get the super-duper (no pun on dupe ;) ) built-in ad blocker which is open source and yet hasn't been picked up by other Chrome knock-offs or other WebKit browsers.

13. HKEY1952

My thought is, and could be wrong, and please correct me if I am wrong, is, in regards to security:

The Chromium Browser appears to rely on third party support for the Updating of Chromium that is outside of the
    Open Source Project, thus leaving the Chromium Browser stranded as far as Security Updates, leaving the Chromium
    Browser victim to End User absuse. I for one, would not want to download and install third party security features
    outside of the venders project, for security reasons, mainly trust.

Google Chrome Browser on the other hand already exists the Updater right out of the box from the orginal vender.

Again, Any Software, Especially Security Software, that does not exist an Automatic Update Feature has already lost
    the battle to Malware.

Questions:
    Is the Google Chrome Browser Installer Digitally Signed?
    Is the Chromium Browser Installer Digitally Signed?
    Is the Third Party Updater for the Chromium Browser Digitally Signed?

The answer to these questions should influence the decision to Install such Software.

HKEY1952

14. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

To be honest i don't really know if Chromium have proper security updates, or if only upgraded versions (containing, among other stuff, the security updates) are released from the Open Source project.

That's what i suppose that Chromium Auto Updater does: upgrades Chromium as soon as a new version is released (source: http://techdows.com/2010/09/how-to-automatically-update-chromium-to-its-latest-version.html) If not, i would also prefer not to install third party security features outside of the open source project...:thumb:

For people using Linux i think is easier go keep Chromium (as well all other applications) updated.

15. guest

guest Guest

I don't really think that concern matters for QtWeb and its typical users/uses. QtWeb isn't under "deep scrutiny" (it's not a target for crackers), it has a relatively smaller attack surface (compact, single executable with no external dependencies and only "essential" features), and gets updated only occasionally (latest version is from Jun 14, 2011), so it's easier to manage.

QtWeb is the most lightweight "usable" portable browser supporting flash. It's a good open source browser for specific scenarios, such as the one I use it for: when playing resource intensive games and an occasional "urgent" browsing session in the middle of the "gaming" is supposed to happen/start/end very fast and no system resources should be wasted with browsers that use more than 100 Megabytes of RAM.

16. HKEY1952

Respectfully, no software or any security defense needs to be under "deep scrutiny" in order to be penatrated by
    an Malware Vector, all that is needed is for the 'Bot' to find one security vulnerability during its search to
    start scrutinizing potential penatration. Chances of that penatration are reduced more toward null if the security
    defense is maintained with the times, meaning, the key to better security is "Change".

Not "Change" as in switching from one measure to another, but "Change" in Architecture.
    Example, Microsoft Windows Vista.

Note that QTWeb exists an Virtual Keyboard.

HKEY1952

17. Daveski17

Yes, exactly. I believe SRWare are working on a super-duper open source sarcasm detector for their next project. ;)

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I got a name for it: "Irony". A steal from Swatch ;)

19. Daveski17

That could work. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.