SeaMonkey 2.5

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What exactly do you use it for? How is it better than Firefox plus Thunderbird?

4. Daveski17

Browsing.

I don't know. I don't even use its HTML editor. I just like it.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hmmmm .... Faint praise?

6. Daveski17

It was really useful when Firefox #3/3.6 series was released as I had so many problems with it that I switched to SeaMonkey (I also looked at a lot of other browsers like Opera & Iron). I like Gecko based browsers & I really missed Firefox as it was so good on my notebook compared to the slow & ponderous IE7. In fact, until Fx #4 I am pretty convinced SeaMonkey was faster & more responsive overall as a browser. There are a few other things I like about it, such as the fact that I can make Duck Duck Go my default search engine without going into about:config & it won't allow the dreaded Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant into extensions at all. At the end of the day, the Mozilla Suite/Netscape Communicator was a great browser & was the original inspiration for Firefox. It's a good back up if anything happens to Firefox, unfortunately I seem to lose extensions every time there's an update these days. There is Mozdev & Sherlock Holmes' younger brother Mycroft though.

So, there ya go. ;)

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Installed it and will use it for news groups. Google groups was giving me problems sometimes.

8. Daveski17

Unfortunately I find that I am still slowly losing extensions as upgrades proceed. However, NoScript, Request Policy & Certificate Patrol are usually up to speed. I have re-found FlashBlock & Stylish works on SM. Cat Thief always keeps her beautiful 'Mostly Crystal' (Linux inspired) theme up to date. I really like SeaZilla as a theme as it reminds me of the SM #1 series, which I loved so much. I don't know if it will work on Ubuntu. Incidentally, if you have icons that would normally be in the add-ons bar on Firefox, you can drag them on to the Menu bar (or any other in the GUI) in 'Customise' mode. Any of the GUI bars can be 'clicked' closed with the handlers on the extreme left. Have fun. ;)

9. guest

guest Guest

10. Daveski17

Yes, you're right. I used FlashBlock before I used NoScript & I think it's just a flashback to those days (LOL). Plus there was a time when I just used to completely whitelist pages I trusted when running NoScript. I'm getting better though. ;)

Come to think about it, I'm not sure why I re-installed FlashBlock. Could be the ADHD ...

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Excess of iron in the diet?

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'll be using it expressly for viewing certain Mozilla newsgroups when I have doubts about whether Google Groups is updated properly.

I can't understand why Mozilla, while loudly talking about limited resources, keeps Firefox, SeaMonkey and Thunderbird. This oldish link may explain it without necessarily justifying anything. If I'm bored, I may replace SeaMonkey with Thunderbird or a Linux-specific newsreader.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No, Ale :D :p

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  14. Daveski17

Real ale is good for you. ;)

15. Daveski17

I think it's given me a bit of a bug. ;)

16. Daveski17

AFAIK SeaMonkey is a continuation of the Mozilla Suite/Netscape Communicator by the SeaMonkey Council. Firefox/Thunderbird are the Mozilla flagships.

It's nice to have the choice.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Is SeaMonkey noticably faster than FF?

18. Daveski17

Not really, although SeaMonkey uses the same rendering engine there isn't much noticeable difference. I find that SM can take a few moments to load on some pages, which Firefox seems fine on.

Although, I thought earlier versions of SeaMonkey (#1 - 2.0 series) were much more responsive than the 3/3.6 Firefox versions.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have my doubts :shifty:

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've installed Pan and got it going. So I won't be needing SM anymore. And I like it better for accessing those newsgroups than doing so via Google Groups.

21. Daveski17

Well, obviously you shouldn't overdo it! ;)

22. Daveski17

Pan? Isn't he the chap with the flute & the horns?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.