Eset virus updates, but icon stays red!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sag, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag

sag Registered Member

After a hard drive crash, I restored a previous Image to a new hard drive.
    Once I was booted up, I noticed that the NOD32 Task bar Icon was red so I opened Eset. It said the virus definition was out of date so I clicked Update.
    After a few minutes it said the definition was up to date. Yet the icon remains red and the main screen on Eset still says virus not up to date.
    I rebooted but this didn't change anything.
    I run XP Pro..
    BM

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would try reinstalling the program over the top keeping the current settings and see if it cures that problem.

3. sag

sag Registered Member

Thanks for the advise.
    Where can I get a copy of ver 4.2.67.10 from the web site. The last copy I have is ver 4.

4. stackz

stackz Registered Member

5. sag

sag Registered Member

Thanks for the link...however after I downloaded it and tried to run the update I eventually got an error message...see attached jpeg.
    I turned off my firewall and spyware programs, but don't know what else could possibly be using the eset file.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

7. sag

sag Registered Member

dwomack:
    I assume that I can save a copy of my settings and import them once I install version 5. Am I correct?

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

As Ronjor indicated yesterday, keeping or re-importing your current settings xml file would expedite the process of getting you running quicker once your have done a manual reinstall.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. sag

sag Registered Member

Well this is interesting...
    I haven't done anything yet to Eset, but today when I booted up for the day...Eset's icon is now GREENo_O
    Everything is, apparently, OK.
    Except...if I try to upgrade to 4.2.71 or even ver. 5, I still get the error (although a slightly different graphic). I guess to fully update this, I will have to completely uninstall Eset.

11. siljaline

12. sag

sag Registered Member

Here is the info requested:

Virus signature database: 6598 (20111103)
    Update module: 1037 (20110921)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1329 (20111031)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1118 (20110419)
    Archive support module: 1136 (2011081:cool:
    Cleaner module: 1051 (20110420)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1026 (2011062:cool:
    ESET SysInspector module: 1220 (20110517)
    Self-defense support module: 1018 (20100812)

13. siljaline

Thank you for this. Did you perform a manual uninstallation, as requested by ESET Support ? Did you export you settings as recommended here

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  14. sag

sag Registered Member

No I didn't uninstall since it seemed to correct itself (from Red to the Green icon).
    Just figured maybe there is something else that might fix the ability to upgrade without uninstallation.
    By the way, I was telling my neighbor about this problem and he said that he too was having the same issue of not be able to upgrade to version 5. He got the same errors so I thought it must be more wide spread and will probably require a patched version 5 upgrade installation exe.

And yes I did make a backup of my settings.

15. siljaline

Based on your initial post and what has been already requested of you, proceed with a manual uninstall.

Post back your findings.

16. sag

sag Registered Member

I tried to manually uninstall Eset but ran into the same error as before so I manually deleted all the eset files on the hard drive.
    I rebooted and then ran the version 5 update and it seemed to go through just fine. Once done it said that the installation was finished.
    The Eset icon had changed to a little green circle with a dark green center. Thinking that all was well, I opened Eset up to make sure that all my settings were the same and noticed that the Update icon had a red exclamation point on it. Upon opening it, it said that my Virus Signature Database Update Failed. So I tried to update it but a User Name and Password box popped up and told me to put my user name and password in to activate. I kept the email so I just cut and pasted the user name and password in the appropriate spots and clicked OK but the box kept coming back telling me to put the user name and password in. What the heck is going on. I know the user name and password are correct.
    Now after following everyone's suggestion to uninstall Eset (or at least trying to), because of problems getting it to update to the latest version...now I can't get the latest virus definitions...seems like I am going backward rather that forward.
    This has been a very aggravating process with Eset since my hard drive crashed and I had to restore my backup image to a new drive.

17. siljaline

ESET is waiting for a Support Ticket Request. Until this is submitted to ESET, we cannot be of assistance to you. Please re-read what has been posted in reply to previous questions, all of the information you require is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.