Firewall Test - AntiMalware.ru

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by abu shofwan, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

Good result :thumb: Comodo & Defensewall
    http://www.anti-malware.ru/firewall_test_outbound_protection_2011
    and interesting quote by Ilya (DF) :)
    "Monopoly is always bad. The monopoly on the tests of products running on the user's safety is a bad double. Matousec test for pro-active components of firewalls has been a long time as a monopoly in this field, testing the products only at maximum settings, dictating its own conditions and pleasing to the throwing of the dough objectionable (Online Armor, DefenseWall). Very well that this monopoly came to an end. The consumer received another independent channel of information about the products he uses every day. "

btw,how to set Comodo to Max setting ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

Paranoid ?

Private fw is missing,also Sunbelt (last free beta).

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

No detailed information what means "maximum" settings, I have found only one part about this (translation by Google)
    BTW...in Top 10 there are 5 apps from Russia (or associated with Russia)...Is not it strange? :cool:

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Does this mean, for example, all real time scanning settings that apply to all on-access scans were set to max ?

If so, isn't the MAX test much broader than a test of the strength of the firewall, e.g., a test of the entire product's strength at blocking malware?

5. jerrypc1

jerrypc1 Registered Member

Thanks abu shofwan

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Perhaps yes...it looks like all modules have worked in own highest settings on the result of the program...AV, HIPS, behavoiral blocking, heuristic detection and of course firewall (besides DW). I think that is the reason not so high score of OA.
    Otherwise the same results (default and maks) of OA, Jetico OSSS are also determined from the lack of modules AV in such programs.

7. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Test was mainly about firewall and some HIPS parts.
    Here you can see the details sheet, so you see f.e. if a programm whould have required user interaction there you have a "+/-*" in a table. In hard interpretation this was counted as fail - cause you never know if a user chooses right.

But you can also count it as "program xy detects and alarms about that specific action". From that point OA/KIS/Outpost also detected all.
    What is strange? It's a well known fact that russia/former USSR has very good programmers and they produce very good security software. Even many vendors who don't are from russia have their main programmers from there.;)

I hope that is what the question was about. Otherwise, if someone claims the anti-malware.ru test are biased because of there regional origin: bring valid proofs or be quiet.;)

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Outbound "protection" heh, I'll stick with Windows Firewall.

9. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi,

Euh...as far as i know this test is an HIPS test, not a firewall test!
    I've already included some of the test (stress/termination/driver) a few years ago to test HIPS attack surface resistance.
    As for for Matousec, we have here again the vicious impact of firewallleaktesting! True that malwares use some of the methods used for the test, but nowhere i can have an idea of packet filtring abilities of these products! how could i say if the product P can detect TCP over ICMP traffic?
    This test is good as an HIPS test, a no-sens as a firewall test.

Regarding russian products, it is not necessary to look for any kind of patriotism from anti-malware.ru: all these russian AV or HIPS are excellent products.
    I've recently emailed the latest kernel vulnerabilities and "bypass" methods to Ilya , the father of DefenseWall, and he was aware of all...for my concern i can't find more interesting HIPS which combines freedom during the surf and efficiency...and this first place on this test is just the result of constant hard work on the table -draw, not a collusion of sovieti or bolcheviks...da camarades?
    As an ex tester myself, i know that critisicsm is easy, and "art" so difficult...so leave and let them test...

Rgds

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Dr Web :thumb: :thumb:

11. ichito

ichito Registered Member

@kareldjag...thanks for explanation. What do you think about those "max" settings...how could you interpret them?

BTW...my question about the Russian programs was a humorous question...and rhetorical ;)

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I hope AntiMalware.ru will frequently release a Firewall Test.
    It is nice :) to see more FW Testing! :thumb:
    Matousec.com has No Longer a Monopoly...;)

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well if this is a HIPS test. :doubt:

I must say that I am surprised in a good way that ESET (and others) did so well considering that V4 wich is the version that was tested doesn't even include a HIPS module.

14. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Test is about "outbound protection", so they test features that desktop firewalls claim to have. So desktop firewalls are able to get some points, most HIPS are even able to cache more...

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Eh, I'm behind a router firewall and have Windows as well.

13% is fairly pathetic though, is this due to outbound entirely?

16. elapsed

It's purely an outbound test, so yes.

17. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Aha, well that explains it then.

18. elapsed

Indeed, I can go in and create all my rules manually and have 100%, I'm simply too lazy to do so, or care :p

19. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

Nope :D just for testing purpose. I'm currently running NIS firewall and want to test Comodo in Win7

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Let's keep the focus on the topic. Thanks!

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Great results for Comodo, I knew their Firewall and HIPS are top-notch.

22. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

A July 2011 test and they use XP for the test platform o_O

23. newline

newline Registered Member

:thumb:

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

It seems that some products could have earned a higher rating but since it's based a lot on user decision they got a lower score :D (Specially HIPS which had the chance to BLOCK EVERYTHING only if you knew when to allow and when not to ;) )

25. guest

guest Guest

+1
    I can't wait to the v6, or even the 5.8 that should be release soon. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.