Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 public beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fabian Wosar, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Online Armor (Free, Premium or ++) doesn't use the a2service.

2. guest

guest Guest

yes you right, it is oasrv. so used to see a2service ^^

3. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 beta is now available for upgrade through the Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 beta update channel.

Changes from 6.0.0.25 to 6.0.0.28:
    • You can now set an "action on scan end" directly at the scan selection.
    • Fixed a problem with detection name conversion for IKARUS detections.
    • Fixed a possible heap corruption when detecting malware in archives.
    • Fixed a problem where the autorun key got deleted during update.
    • Fixed a problem that caused application rules and white listing entries from not working correctly.
    • Added a notification message if your license has been changed server side.
    • Fixed a problem with the File Guard scanning files on network shares.
    • Fixed a possible crash during update if a granted license was extended server side.
    • Fixed a synchronisation issue that caused the service to crash during certain realtime protection events.
    • Fixed a problem that caused news updates to be displayed every update.
    • Scan cache data should now always be saved correctly during service shutdown.
    • Added a confirmation dialog in case the user tries to abort the EAM Wizard before it has been completed successfully at least once.
    • A few tweaks to the new scanning animations.

4. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Thanks Fabian for the update, will give it a test run

5. hadi3at

hadi3at Registered Member

I suggest for more power in viruses used one or more powerful engine such as Gdata / Eset / Kaspersky/ Avast or...
    Ikarus is not good. :cautious:

6. 1chaoticadult

You say Ikarus is not good based on what, your personal opinion? If so, that might be good enough for you but tests prove otherwise.

7. hadi3at

Which tests have proven the Ikarus is good?
    Ikarus more famous and more popular is programs ......

8. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Gr8 - testing it right away!

9. 1chaoticadult

http://malwareresearchgroup.com/malware-tests/flash-test-results/. EAM has been on the top programs in these flash tests. Where have you been? You come in here and say Ikarus is not good but with what proof do you have, again seems like just your opinion, moving on.

10. hadi3at

MRG is Reliable or vb100% ??:eek:
    Please read this link to see what anti-virus has been successful
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/summary
    My intention is not destroy anti-virus , I said just my opinion based on evidence :-*

11. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Don't just look for the VB100 logo. You need to look at the results. In latest 7 VB100 tests, Emsisoft passed two , failed the remainder because of 1-2 false positives, not misses. A similar result is present for Ikarus.

12. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Yup. Emsisoft surly is a top performer. Just had problems with fp's which should have decreased in the latest beta. To understand the test results you need to know test methodology before making any judgements. 1-2 fp's is nothing when also catching all the bad guys.

13. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

Emsisoft made decision to use Ikarus engine some time ago and it looks like they are happy with it. Since EAM uses also built-in malware database, the company have direct ability to influence it's detections. Also, don't forget that EAM uses host-blocking and behavior blocking approach next to it's malware detection. All this for a really good price.

The fact that some anti-virus companies are more widely known doesn't mean they are better from business point of view (or developer POV). Also, questioning MRG reliability and pointing out to virus bulletin as truly reliable is ... unfortunate.

From my perspective EAM deals with FP quite fast. After first scan there was 6 false detections, all quarantined. 5 of them was restored to original locations in next two days as confirmed FPs :thumb: (I'm talking about stable version).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  14. hadi3at

EMA is very good if you could use more engine
    Like Gdata - HIitman and ....:p

15. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

HUh. That's kind of interesting that you would mention hitman. Oh wait doesn't hitman pro use emsisoft as one of their engines? OH yeah it does. Case closed. Moving on.

16. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

FWIW and a possible word of caution...

...I downloaded and installed the beta via 5.1 this afternoon. It did not retain any of my previous settings (as had been mentioned earlier in the thread) and the "Smart Scan" took just as long as it did with 5.1.

However, more importantly for me (and my XP Pro SP3 setup)...it pretty much kludged up my computer to the point where performance and stability were really compromised.

As a result I had to install an earlier "image" of my C: drive and now all is well again (after much gnashing of teeth). (It was the first time I ever restored an image so I guess the bright side is that now I know it works.)

As for me, I'll stick with 5.1 until a stable version 6 is released for public consumption (if I have the fortitude to go through this again).

17. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Looks like we have a 12 year old troll /ignore ;)

Good thing you had an image :) I installed this beta from scratch with no problems.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Probably he just needs to hang around a bit more with the Wilders and as always he might not find the exit :D

19. 1chaoticadult

Who cares about the troll anyways. We are supposed to be talking about EAM v6 beta Noobie :D

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Okay back on topic.
    There have been lots of releases in the last week, even i can't keep up with the updates. Up to now, i have the beta v6 installed in my dad's laptop and in my PC (Friends Laptop has stable v5 just in case he might have any issues because if he does it will be a pain in the **** to fix it since he lives like 30 mins away and i got no time) :thumb:
    No issues so far in my dad's PC and mine.
    The only things that does annoy's my dad a bit is the license problem that pops up sometimes and since they have 0 knowledge of it they always have to call me :D

21. 1chaoticadult

Hahaha of course they call you, you are Mr. Emsisoft at this point. :D I haven't had the license problem people have talked about. Yes its been alot of updates and I even lost track, but they are trying to squash some bugs hehe. I think I remember seeing that the issue you described about the license being fixed. Am I wrong?

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I really like the Check-Point animation during the Scanning session!
    Much better than the twisting Trojan Horse animation!

Attached Files:

23. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

He I noticed that one to and agree with you :D So far the beta runs very well - I might be tempted to buy if a good deal shows up :thumb:

Btw I would love to see some extra features to schelduled scans:
    Run at startup (quickscan)
    An idle scan as with Norton where it scans computer while user is afk

24. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

An automatic quick scan on startup can be easily made:

Just create a daily scheduled scan with a time when your PC is definitely off and check the box to run missed scans when Anti-Malware starts. Save a custom scan settings file that includes only Traces, Memory and Rookit scans and use it for the scheduled scan.

25. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Thx I figured that out to after posting :thumb: But for the inexperience user it might be easier with the option I suggested :) But hell, the inexperienced user might not even create one of those anyway ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.