Clipboard Security in a Sandbox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chinook9, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have been a little concerned that with my banking security configuration because I must drag and drop my user name at the Bank of America website. Recently I realized I don't have a problem. I'd like to know if my logic is correct.

Setup: Windows XP SP3. Firefox 6..6.17 (NoScript, Keyscrambler, WOT), Sandboxie with seperate sandboxes for surfing and banking, with DefenseWall and Panda Cloud Pro. I have use Roboform but I can't get it to enter the user name on the Bank of America website. I also have KeePass.

My concern has been that when logging into the Bank of America, I delete everything in a security sandbox . I open KeePass in the security sandbox and then click on Bank of America in the KeePass to open Firefox and go the Bank of America website. Once at the Bank of America website, the only way I can enter my user name is to copy the username in KeePass and paste it in the username dialog box on the website. I then enter my password with Roboform.

I had always felt that there was a security problem when copying the username from KeePass, however, I now believe I am secure because the clipboard that is inside the security sandbox when I do this and so is protected. Am I correct?

EDIT: I believe major questions is: Is the clipboard in the security sandbox protected from malware outside the sandbox.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

No, I don't think you are protected. If you want to know for certain, download the SpyShelter test suite and run the clipboard test.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there should be no problems if you can be sure your computer is not already infected and if your surf directly to your bank website from a clean sandbox.

if you are concerned though you could use Trusteer Rapport or Prevx Safe Online.
    although those 2 are not compatible with Sandboxie.

using security app is always a trade-off between security and convenience and SBie is no exception.
    using a browser under SBie makes it impossible to drag and drop text/password into a browser.
    there are other inconveniences as well.

i might be going off topic a little here but i am losing my patience quickly with security apps and the convenience hit they introduce.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Although I don't use password managers for important sites, have you tried KeeFox?

5. chinook9

I don't believe KeeFox would work with the Bank of America website due to the way the user name is entered. I do have it on this machine but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with Sandboxie either but I will check on it again.

Thanks for the help.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

IMHO, using anything to store your banking credentials is a mistake. Thats just my opinion ;)

Sul.

7. Scoobs72

It's only a mistake if you do it in an insecure way :)

8. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

i don't do banking on my pc.but if using zemana or spyshelter
    with its anticlipboard capabilities would be enough to hide your usernames and passwords?

9. Scoobs72

Yes, both Zemana and Spyshelter would alert you to untrusted applications trying to read from your clipboard. Prevx SOL would also protect the clipboard content while at a HTTPS website. Trusteer Rapport would not protect the clipboard however - Rapport used to, but there appears to be a bug in the current version.

10. chinook9

I believe that DefenseWall would also provide this same protection. Isn't that correct?

11. Scoobs72

DW would alert to an untrusted app trying to copy clipboard contents but it does not stop the actual clipboard capture. It just tells you it's happening. At least that's how it worked when I used DW.

12. moontan

i got the following message from Trusteer (in the console in the Full Report section) when copying and pasting username and password in Hotmail:

i don't know if the copy/paste itself is protected but anyway...

13. Scoobs72

Hmm..not sure. I corresponded with Trusteer earlier today about the clipboard protection issues and they said they were still looking into it.

14. moontan

thnx for the update Scoobs! :thumb:

15. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Yes, that's correct, DW blocks such the attempts only under "Go Banking/Shopping" mode since 3.14 version.

16. Scoobs72

Good approach Ilya. :thumb:

17. chinook9

Thank you for the reply. I had not previously used the Banking/Shopping mode (really stupid of me) but I will from now on.

18. Ilya Rabinovich

From 3.14 version (waiting for script files translated to release the version) there is a built-in elementary browser, made specially for safe banking, without closing other untrusted processes.

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Ilya,
    What's the status of DW and Windows 7 x64?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

20. Ilya Rabinovich

I'm gathering information. As much as I can.

21. Scoobs72

I finally got a response back from Trusteer. They advise that their "Consumer" version of Rapport does not provide any clipboard protection and that the published reports showing Rapport protecting against clipboard logging are not with the 'Consumer' version.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Forgive me for showing up late and asking a basic question of the OP, but is it correct that you have tried entering your login info via the KeePass Perform Auto-Type feature, in which the default auto-type has been changed to two-channel auto-type obfuscation? I'm assuming that this is not possible (that you have already tried it), but I'm confused because you mention that you have to drag and drop, but then you say you have to copy and paste.

Perform Auto-Type doesn't work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.