Nod32 and Thunderbird 5

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Pingolo10, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

"Seems they have lost interest in being a repectable browser/email client and want to be a hobby project that nobody is looking at."
    Ain't that the truth, after v3 i still have v4 and v5 firefox, but no longer default browser. Im not keen on the new thunderbird either. all addon companies are struggling to keep up with their updates, which to me seems the most unstable products they have ever released.
    I would use live mail, but windows live is still amazingly bloated.
    bring back plain and simple programs!

2. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

I am still waiting for somebody here to give me a definite yea or nay on whether or not I can dump my Turdbid and switch to Windows Live Mail or not with my ESET 4.2 and so far, no answer. Sniff, sniff.:'(

Would you mind explaining to me what you mean exactly (details would be Wicked Awesome:cool: ) by it being amazingly bloated please? I'd love to know that very much. Useless information: That makes it the polar opposite of Turdbid which is as spartan, bare boned and as stipped- down as a program can ever get. Mozilla blatantly and rudely "in your face" has always ignored it completely. So why put it out there at all? Lordy, the thing is so out-dated that it's older than gawd. This coming tidbit will shock those of you who are blessed and have never been near or exposed to the odious offal, you lucky stiffs:

When addressing emails, one can look up a contact in their addy book and click on it, or if they know it by heart just type it out. The shortcut is typing the first one or two characters and from the drop-down list that instantly appears one clicks on the appropriate addressee. That's cool. But, guess what? Turdbird only allows you to do that for a miserly maximum of 4 addresses per email. For this kind of obscene greed and utter contempt for their users, I cannot fathom what their "just deserts" could and should be. The obvious boycott wouldn't do as they'd be totally just as aloof and apathetic about it as they are to their users. justice sure would be sweet though. I can fantasize and dream, can't I? :D

If you've read any of my posts in this thread, you already know how much I loathe Turdbird. I'm not happy with Fartfox either, or Chrome, IE et al for all the reasons stated thus far, including yours and "a few" of my own reasons. I've a vast litany of gripes which I'm sure is not a relation here at Wilders, heh.:p

None of them have ever been "stable" since the advent/introduction of add-ons, extensions and plugins - which they now have the arrant animus to charge us for - to name but a few reasons. Updates and upgrades to fix bugs and add new features are great, necessary, to be expected and they are progress, but constant and chronically inveterate updates and upgrades to all of the above (which, BTW, should be Free Standard Equipment AKA "plain and simple programs". Who the heck wants half a browser? In this economy, who has the disposable income or the desire:cautious: to PAY FOR options and features which , to be fair, honest and blunt, should already be built into the programs as [/COLOR][/U] Free Standard Equipment AKA "plain and simple programs"? If we don't wish to use the feature or option, we simply turn it off - nothing new there. No way should we have to pay for a complete* browser or email program.:thumbd: Utterly unacceptable.

*Complete:
    Definition of COMPLETE
    a : having all necessary parts, elements, or steps <a complete diet>
    (the definition also includes the word "INTEGRAL")

All these greedy, money-making schemes and scams to fleece us is usually, almost always, software which we NEED. Especially anything at all to do with security. How dare they?:mad: No wonder more and more people are going offline completely and just texting all the time. A few casual users who surf a bit, scan the headlines and check their email and favorite blogs and off they go. All I do is check my email and delete it then log off unless I'm buying a book or music from Amazon. Then I log off, blast my Sony boombox and play my own games - offline. 15 or so years ago, it was quite different. Extremely so. Does anybody here remember Instant Messenger commonly known as IM's? How about Trillian, anybody here know what that is? Absent spam, I think us older members can remember getting innumerable amounts of emails and half or most of us IM's on a daily basis. That was how it WAS for the majority of us. The main and primary thing anyone paid for was big bucks for a Mac compared to a Compaq Windows for an example.

Being on the computer nowadays is 50% of some kind of maintenance or trouble-shooting and that is yet another reason why there are more and more computers sitting in homes collecting dust. Now it's the gamers and those poor souls I almost feel bad for - fanatical facebook fans. I know that the voluntary gamers should and would pay extra for their special needs and my logic tells me that the above fff's would most likely be long-time and knowledgeable members who know the ropes and are quite security conscious and would somehow pay to feed their addiction. Hopefully. At the very least, all browser and email programs should come standard with various levels of security everywhere on those 2 programs.

3. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

You're kidding me! I did not know that. Exactly the same as Gmail, AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo then - useless. Correct?

I'm blown away because WLM gets touted here at Wilders a lot - lots and lots of font. Also, it's wildly popular many other places. Now I cannot understand the entire phenomenon. Not one whittle. What is the attraction besides being overbloated {chuckle} as a poster said in a similar thread yesterday?

What to do for a primary email client then? What do you use?

What free email programs do my fellow members here at Wilders use please? I have got to get an email program. Need one friendly with my O/S (see my signature line below) I use Gmail only to send out quick and short notes on my laptop and do not use it for receiving any email at all because I am under the impression that the Nod32 doesn't scan it. I never saw the ESET signature on Gmail with any of my puters.

Oh, woe, woe! How I miss Outlook Express!:(

With my Vista puter and every one prior to it, no problem. They all had the common decency to give me an email program in addition to a browser. UNLIKE WINDOWS 7.:thumbd:

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

will nod32 v4 support the imap protocol ?

and to support 100% thunderbird 5 and future version ,is eset able to update the v4 modules ? or should we update to nod v5?

thanks

5. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

Mantra, don't forget that SSL or TLS is a cryptographic protocol, which is used to encrypt your mails to have a safe transfer from the server to your mailclient.

The encrypted email can't be scanned correctly.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Since my last post was deleted apparently because some people just can't handle the truth, I'll restate it differently...

If you cannot learn how to use one mail client, what makes you think you'll have any more success with another?

You obviously don't have a clue how to properly use Thunderbird, as evidence by your ignorance with respect to how it works - see below...

This is just plain wrong.

All you have to do is hit the ENTER key after the 4th, and you get a NEW line (and a scrollbar in the addresses pane), where you can use the auto-fill feature as many times as you like.

So, we will await your apology, since your entire rant was based on your own ignorance, not a program weakness.

Oh, yes, you have made it quite clear with your rude, obnoxious, derogatory comments, all based not on real program faults or limitations, but your own ignorance/inability to learn how to use the program.

If you would spend less time acting like a spoiled ten year old, and more time actually experimenting with the software (and/or googling questions about how to do the things you want to be able to do), you might be surprised that it can already do almost everything you're complaining that it can't do, simply because you haven't figured it out yet.

Poppycock. We have been using both Firefox and Thunderbird in a smallish (50+ employees) company since before either of them went to version 1.0, each with 30-50 extension, and have had very little stability problems.

Grow up.

7. apprentice7

apprentice7 Registered Member

I received an e-mail from Eset saying that the issue won't be fixed until september / october. Why is it taking so long?

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Thunderbird 6 is at beta 2 already.. I always wondered why eset does not scan ssl emails? Avast does, but you have to disable ssl in thunderbird, avast says it becomes the ssl filter.
    I don't understand how this works, but thunderbird cannot connect when avast is disabled.
    Anyways we are on eset forum.
    I don't know how eset are going to keep up with the pace of mozilla products was my point.

9. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

It's a good question also applies to Smart Security.

Those who use Smart Security cannot use the anti-spam with Thunderbird 5. I think ESET should develop tools independent of the software used. It's not impossible. Many antispams work fine with all email clients (eg the SpamPal antipsam).

10. shiva7663

shiva7663 Registered Member

Well, it's the middle of September; I thought I would check in to see if anything had happened yet.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Thunderbird 5 is fully supported by EAV/ESS v5.

12. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I rolled back to v5 works (and looks) a treat, I cannot find any difference between thunderbird 5 and 6 (just like firefox 4~6) they seem to keep randomly changing version numbers with little or no difference for the average user, all it seems to do for me is brake add ons!

14. shiva7663

shiva7663 Registered Member

The ESET Smart Security Extension 5.0.93.0 shows as incompatible with Thunderbird 6.0.2 in the Extensions section of the TB Add-ons Manager. Next version, maybe?

15. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

Thunderbird 7.0 has been released. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. ESET has no chance of catching up to these frequent updates to Thunderbird.

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Which antivirus has a plugin for TB6 or 7?

17. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I'm not saying that anyone does. I question whether a plugin or integration with Thunderbird should even be offered in the next version of NOD32.

18. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

I agree, NOD32 still scans all email anyway and I for one never bother using the plugin.
    To my mind the plugin just seems to be a waste of space on the toolbar.
    I still regard NOD32 as the best AV, working plugin or not :)

19. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

AFAIK the new NOD32 features transparent POP/POPS and IMAP/IMAPS scanning irrespective of the email client, hence no plug-ins should be required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.