How to get Cloud working

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Thankful, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

My cloud feature is not showing reputation information for processes. It is NOT speeding up my scan times. What else do I have to do besides enabling the cloud? Thanks.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Mine showed nothing for processes for about 30 seconds but then it loaded. Maybe you are not giving it enough time to download the information? Mine loaded when I clicked "Open in new window". I don't know if that loaded the info or if it was just a coincidence of timing.

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Thanks for responding. Mine just loaded after about 10 minutes, all 14 processes. However, I don't see the scans accessing information from the cloud such as with Hitman Pro. Such functionality will require a large collection of files which will take some time to create.

4. Galaxykiss

Galaxykiss Registered Member

i don't think it is so useful as it can only show the info of the proccesses but the user can't do anything such as terminate or delete them.

anyway, my cloud is work but I have to wait for 5 sec.

5. xxJackxx

It doesn't appear to be realtime. I launched some extra processes with the window open and I had to close it and open it again to get them to show up.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

So how can you say it is "fully functional"?

7. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

IMO,the "cloud" probably works like an "on demand checker" just like an on demand scanner.It is not "realtime" just as xxJackxx mentioned in his post. Hope you understand.

8. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Nobody seems to understand. If I look at my on-demand logs, I see no reference to the cloud.

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

No ofcourse not, why would it? It also doesn't refer to local stored signatures and generic signatures. Why should it refer to any cloud connection? It is just working the background.

10. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

And the supposed faster scanning times? I guess I'm not supposed to see them either ? Right?

11. xxJackxx

I was talking about the display. Refreshing it updates the list. Sitting there watching it does not.

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

My scan times also haven't speed up in comparison to version 4. But I guess there are maybe some small changes to what is being scanned, since it scans more objects in roughly the same time, so in fact the scan did speed up.

13. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Why is the risk level of java.exe "red" in the cloud? Is this such an unusual file for the cloud to identify?

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think Marcos answers that question here . Basically somewhere down the line, or over the rainbow, it will work.:cautious:

The part about evolution scare me though when you think about how long it took man to do this. :)

15. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Thanks for responding. This brings me back to my original point. The cloud is not "fully functional" and therefore I question the review of this Beta by AV-Test.

16. yongsua

I still don't understand why you still think it is not fully functional.It is already started and functioning to collect data.I think what you mean by "fully functional" is you would like to see this feature works perfectly,really can see and feel the reduction of scanning time.Then only you can call it as "fully functional"?

17. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

See: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1884627&postcount=14

18. yongsua

Ya,Thanks.Main point here:
    So it is not fully functional,right?:oops:

19. xxJackxx

I wouldn't call it that. They shouldn't be automatically calling unknown files bad. IE9 does this and it gets annoying. I'm sure the database for this thing needs to be build upon but that does not mean it does not function correctly.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Also this is a beta, duh. If everything worked perfectly, it would be a release.:cautious:

Cut Eset some slack, they do know what they are doing and, where they are headed.:thumb:

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It is. It's not our aim to alert the user about every single file that doesn't have good reputation or we'd end up producing tons of FPs and alerting the user dozens of times, not long until it becomes annoying (similar to firewall or HIPS prompting every while and then for an action).
    Quite the contrary, ESET has been effectively using cloud data to MINIMIZE the occurrences of FPs and MAXIMIZE the chance of recognizing new born, not yet known malware so cloud is already bearing fruit and benefits to both ESET and its customers.

22. yongsua

Thanks Marcos.You had change back my mind.I keep telling Thankful that the "cloud" is fully functional but I can't:(

23. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's weird, it should normally take only a few seconds to get a response from the cloud servers. I'm gonna look into it further as soon as I return from a conference tomorrow.

24. xxJackxx

Thanks for the clarification. I much prefer this than the way some other vendors are doing it. :thumb:

25. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

How about having "java.exe" show up as 'green' rather than "red"? Also, do something with the "number of people" column so we have an indication things are working as they should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.