NOD32 misinforms me that my system is out of date

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by syntax, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syntax

syntax Registered Member

After logging on to Windows, NOD32 appears in the Notification Area with an orange icon indicating my copy of Windows isn't up-to-date. I click on the provided link and the icon immediately changes from orange to green and the security warning goes away. However, Windows Update informs me that my system is up-to-date.

I removed NOD32 using ESET's removal utility and installed it again after downloading the latest stable version but it didn't resolve the problem.

I configured NOD32 to perform debug logging but I couldn't find any useful information from it. Are there any other logs I can review outside of the NOD32 program itself? If so, where are they located and what is their name?

Any help regarding this is greatly appreciated.

ESET: NOD32 v4.2.71.2
    Virus signature database: 6103 (20110507)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1296 (20110301)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1118 (20110419)
    Archive support module: 1128 (20110315)
    Cleaner module: 1051 (20110420)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1024 (20101227)
    SysInspector module: 1217 (20100907)
    Self-defense support module : 1018 (20100812)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727)

2. nsitbon

nsitbon Registered Member

Hi, I'm currently encountering the same problem, my configuration:

Windows 7 SP1 Professionnal 64 bits french
    nod32 antivirus 4.2.71.2
    Base des signatures de virus: 6107 (20110509)
    Module de mise à jour: 1031 (20091029)
    Module d'analyse antivirus et antispyware: 1296 (20110301)
    Module d'heuristique avancée: 1118 (20110419)
    Module de prise en charge d'archives: 1128 (20110315)
    Module de nettoyage: 1051 (20110420)
    Module Anti-Stealth: 1024 (20101227)
    Module d'état système: 1217 (20100907)
    Module de légitime défense : 1018 (20100812)
    Module de protection des fichiers systèmes en temps réel: 1004 (20100727)

3. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

4. nsitbon

I have already read this article, but it's a workaround not a solution. I want to be notify when my system is not up-to-date when it is really out of date. It's clearly a bug, I don't want to disable the feature.
    Regards.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that you've opted for not installing certain updates? Currently the WU notification feature notifies about all updates, including the hidden ones (should be configurable in future versions).

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

7. nsitbon

No sorry there aren't any hidden updates. I repeat it's a bug.

8. chris78

chris78 Registered Member

As usual, after Patch Tuesday, Nod32 informed me that there were some Windows Updates available (orange icon).
    So I applied them but they didn't require a restart and the icon is still orange, even though there isn't any High Priority update left.
    Is there a way to refresh the status so that the icon turns green, without restarting Nod32 or Windows?

I'm using Nod32 4.2.67.10 on XP SP3.

Thanks for your help,
    Chris

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Please refer to these two prior answers in this thread, here, here

Thanks.

10. syntax

syntax Registered Member

I'd like to thank those that are offering their assistance.

Check. It is enabled and always has been.

Check. Being that I don't speak any language other than English and binary, I decided to hide all of the optional language updates from view in Windows Update. However, this led me to a hunch that this may be what's causing the problem. As such, I restored their view, so they're now visible to me in Windows Update. However, it's been a while since I've brushed up on the 34 languages, so I didn't install them.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this issue right away. It takes some time for my laptop to be in sleep or fully shutdown for this problem to surface. How long? I'm not sure, but this problem doesn't surface on a simple reboot. It'd be helpful to know if there's any way to force NOD32 to perform its system update check... and, again, it would be very helpful if we could get NOD32 to produce detailed logs of this update check process with information such as when the "update check" process starts, what triggered it, what it's checking for, where it's checking (both the source list and local list), what it found/didn't find, etc..

I like this feature and do not wish to disable it. I was happily surprised when I first encountered NOD32 informing me that Windows is not up-to-date, mainly because Windows itself hadn't realized that it's out-of-date. Amazingly, NOD32 was doing a better job at ensuring my PC is up-to-date compared to Windows, performing the update task quicker than Microsoft!

I've always had this option enabled since I began using NOD32 about 2 years ago. It's always been under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on two separate systems; my personal home desktop PC and the laptop issued to me by my employer. In the past, I've always hid specific updates from my view, all of which were "optional", such as language packs, stupid Windows "enhancements" that Microsoft wants to push on me, etc.. This has never been a problem until recently. Please note, though, that I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop (clean install, not a repair or upgrade). The only thing that is different between my previous installations and this one is this laptop has Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 which was already part of the installation (not slipstreams, but a genuine ISO image from Microsoft of Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1. During the rebuild of my laptop, this was not an issue at first, but it surfaced at some point while configuring the OS, installing additional apps, etc.. I know one of you will say it was the fault of some application and possibly even recommend that I reinstall again. I'm month #3 in my rebuild and still don't have it customized 100% to my liking yet, so I'd really prefer not to reinstall. Setting up my working environment takes multiple weeks, at best, and these tweaks are not for eye candy -- they're mainly for increasing productivity and functionality.

Attached Files:

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check if you have your EAV configured to notify only about important or critical updates so that it doesn't notify you about optional ones.

12. syntax

syntax Registered Member

The problem still persists. I've checked my update notification configuration setting in EAV and it's set for "Critical updates". How shall we proceed?

13. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi syntax,

When ESET alerts you of missing updates, when you click the "Click here" link (at that moment, the ESET icon turns green), you get a summary window showing all available updates. Could you take a screen shot of that window and post it here?

Thank you.

14. syntax

syntax Registered Member

Hi Tony,

I got your message the day you posted it but work has kept me too busy to do as you ask and respond. I'll try to get to it this weekend. Thanks.

- Syntax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.