Ashampoo Customers : Data Theft!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by aladdin, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Ashampoo customer,

We are writing to you concerning an important issue. We regret to tell you that we also detected an unauthorized access to one of our server systems. We assume that the attackers were able to purloin data of customers. Sensitive data such as billing information etc. is not affected by this, because Ashampoo does not store this data.

We summarized all pieces of information concerning this incident for you and would like you to read the following website: http://www.ashampoo.com/datatheft

Yours sincerely,

The Ashampoo-Team

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Eh. Ashampoo already spams people so heavily that those unfortunate ones who used a non-disposable email with Ashampoo will not probably notice much. :rolleyes:

As for

I would call this a BS. Pretty sure they do store such data, how would they do business? :rolleyes:

3. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I've got the same e-mail from ashampoo.
    That's just great!

4. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

I second that. Been bombarded with spam from Ashampoo every month. Now this! :thumbd:

5. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

On the linked web page it's stated that regarding customers financial data (link);

'Which data were stolen?

The stolen pieces of information are data of addresses such as name and e-mail address. Billing information (e.g. credit card information or banking information) is definitely not affected, because our shop service contractors are concerned with this data and it is not stored on our system.
    '.

That's a bit more explanatory than the text in OP's post.
    Why on earth they don't mention that in the damage control email is beyond me...:rolleyes:

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

If you do not want their offers, you could have ...

1. Unsubscribed when you got your software by unchecking the automatic checkmarks provided.
    2. At the bottom of each offer sent you, there is a place to unsubscribe to each letter you receive so why not do it and then there will be no more mail from them. :rolleyes:

Next ......
    3. always use a web address and not that of your personal server.
    4. For online purchases, visit your local bank and ask for a credit card with a specific low credit amount and use it. Normally banks are very good about absorbing any theft by unauthorized use of your credit card.
    5. At least consider that AShampoo had the courtesy of advising their customers to be aware. :thumb:

No doubt you are aware of all of the above but it bears repeating.

Am I worried about my information.. nope!! ;)

7. doktornotor

ROTFLMAO. You apparently never tried. The "checkmarks" reset to "spam me heavily" position automagically to feed you with more spam every time you do something with your "account". Also, the spam "checkmarks" are per product, so you would have to spend about a day unsubscribing (for a while, since as mentioned, the settings never hold) :rolleyes: :thumbd:

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

You can also place a block on their mail or send it to the spam box. You can also set your mail if using yahoo or hotmail to receive mail only from those in your address book.

You can also contact support - sis@ashampoo.com with your request to unsubscribe you from all notifications.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I was wondering when they'd e-mail me. Just got it now.

I didn't use my private e-mail address, and never bought anything from them. So this isn't much of a worry at all.

10. doktornotor

Wonderful. And how about they stop their obnoxious spamming instead? You know, it is actually illegal. Once you have asked them once to not send you the crap, they should cease all their offers, not require you to unsubscribe on tens of different product "subscriptions", not to mention the stealth "resubscribe" feature they do on changes to your account.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Agreed. It's Not a big deal...:cool:
    I also use an informal e-mail account. :cool:

12. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I'm wondering if perhaps botmasters might e.g. commission break-ins of this kind, to access substantial email databases, guessing that Ashampoo's must appear attractive, since they do enough spamming of their own. Is this the regular scenario, and reason for a lot of these break-ins?

13. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I just got that email from Ashampoo. I had completely forgotten that I once tried their software; Ashampoo Photo Illuminator back in 2004. Nice of them to remember me.

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I registered with them for Burning Studio 6 free no email yet, but I did get from them plenty of SPAM in the past..which I don't miss.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I also got it today, weird.

Never bought anything from them (never will). But they call me "dear customer" hmmm....

Now one can only hope that they will not continue to send news letters and stuff wich seems to be their speciality according to some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.