ClearCloud London down - my day ruined

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by elapsed, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

We can only hope that on a blocked website, both Clearcloud and Norton won't toss up their block page at the same time :D

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Whoa, that would be dramatic! :D
    Now I want to test that scenario...

Wondering... on a blocked page, does it revert to the alt server?

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

With my experience in dealing with these DNS servers, I'd certainly hope so. It would be my luck though that the website is on both block lists, lol. Test it out and see :D

4. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Windows only uses the alternate DNS when the primary one times out.

5. sbseven

sbseven Registered Member

Can't you set up more than 2 DNS server addresses in Windows?
    Should work on XP, Vista, 7...

Attached Files:

• DNS.jpg
      DNS.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

That should work fine unless a user has their DNS setup in their router. Mine only allows for a primary and 1 alternate.

7. sbseven

These settings will override the router settings...

8. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Ah good to know. :thumb:

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks, never knew about that.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Now this is exactly what I love about Wilders.
    I didn't know that either, J_L, but I'm set up that way now, with 4 DNS server addresses, in order of use.
    Heck, I didn't even know about ClearCloud DNS and Norton DNS until I read it here at Wilders. :thumb:

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

A entire day ruined because of an DNS service....

:argh:

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Something's wrong with your grammar there..

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Now I wish it was down so I could test it :rolleyes: Does that definitely work? If so, I'll set up machines as so from now on.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Tried Clearcloud for a while, was nice and fast, but sometimes blocks a bit too much. So, wanted to give Norton a try, entered the DNS adresses in my PC, and quite a lot of sites got blocked by my "content filter policy" which I never setup, I didn't even create an account for that. Judging from the number of sites blocked, it seems liked all categories were blocked. From what I read at their site, the filter is opt-in only and you need to create an account for it.
    Anybody got this before?

15. sbseven

Did you just try that on 31st March? As on that day, Norton screwed up their DNS service for some people (everyone?) with a content filtering problem. I had this problem too.
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Norton-DNS-filtering-issue-resolved/td-p/425938
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/NDNS-filtering-policy-modified/td-p/425674

16. sbseven

Put dummy IP addresses for 1 and 2 in the list (something like 255.255.255.255 & 255.255.255.254) and save it (OK all the dialogs, not just Advanced TCP/IP Settings). Prove that your browser no longer connects to web sites. Now add a real DNS server address as the third item and save it...

17. elapsed

Heh, should have thought about that. Got CC IPs primary and Norton secondary, works great, thanks.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Exactly, elapsed's headache turned out to be very productive, we all learned something.

19. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

It's a shame, but it's to be expected when it's a beta.
    This is why you don't use beta's on production pc's ;)

20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That's the whole idea behind having a primary and alternate DNS IPs. If one doesn't work, Windows tries the next. Windows doesn't care if they're from the same company, DNS service, etc, only that they work. Windows has had the ability to use more than 2 DNS servers since at least 98FE. I originally switched to Open DNS because my ISPs DNS was unreliable. It went down quite regularly. Last year, I had trouble with Open DNS and trying to reach this forum, so I started using one DNS IP from Open DNS and one from my ISP. It works like it's supposed to.

This incident has very little to do with using a "beta" service and/or software on a PC. Unless you've stored all of the IPs you need in your hosts file, your PC is dependent on DNS servers, with or without any other services they offer. They can fail at any time for any reason from a server crash to government interference. An example from these forums:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286671

21. elapsed

Yup, I had to learn something from it so I asked for advice and got some, which will hopefully help others in future too. :)

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The same situation may happen if someone uses a 3G connection device. Unless the ISP software allows to add more than 2 DNS servers.

With the 3G connection devices, it's necessary to make all changes within the device's software, otherwise the changes won't apply.

One trick I found (I didn't test it yet... I just thought of it moments ago lol), without restricting the primary to ClearCloud and the alternate to Norton DNS (just as an example) is to have 2 connections, by giving them different names: Connection_1_CC and Connection_2_Norton (just examples of names that could be given). Obviously, for Connection_1_CC we'd be using CCs IPs, and for Connection_2_Norton, Norton DNS IPs.

This is not the perfect solution, because it would require terminating one connection and starting the other... but, unless your device's software allows you to add more than 2 DNS servers, or if you don't want to restrict to just one DNS server for CC or Norton DNS, then it's the best option I could find so far.

Or, has someone been able to add more DNS servers directly to Windows settings, using this type of connection device?

24. carat

carat Guest

I guess it's time to say goodbye to DNS services :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.