Exclude Windows Updates

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TONPumper, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

How can I exclude ESET from scanning Windows Updates? I'm able to check for and download the updates but when the computer tries to finish the updates via restart, it freezes.

2. DrewD

DrewD Eset Staff Account

You should not need to exclude Windows Update.

If you feel that your ESET security product is causing your system to freeze, when Windows Update attempts to install updates after a restart of your computer, then you can try temporarily uninstalling your ESET product.

Freezing of the computer can be caused by very many things, including having conflicting software installed, such as other security programs.

If you would like to verify this, you can contact ESET Support, and then provide them an ESET SysInspector log, for further assistance.

3. TONPumper

It has to be ESET because when I disable NOD32, the updates install just fine.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Try disabling the system updates notification feature.

Reboot your PC, run Windows Update again, verify if Windows Update works with the feature disabled.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You didn't mention what version of EAV you're using. Is it the latest one 4.2.71? Does disabling web or real-time protection make a difference?

6. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

As I have been unfortunate enough to discover recently, it is possible to get malicious content pushed down from the Windows Update servers. Considering that failed update installations because of AV software is an extremely rare occurrence, I think it would make more sense to look for a fix to the problem instead of excluding Windows Update URLs and the local cache directory.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Disabling real-time file system protection would likely be one solution as it worked for me before when I had this problem. I did not use ESS for many months because one time it locked up my laptop while running Windows Update and I had to restore the entire machine from a backup.

You can also try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

:thumb:

I always disable the RT protection when doing an Win Update.
    And by doing so the update goes noticeably faster.

9. siljaline

Reset Windows Update Components, Add *.Microsoft.com to your Trusted Sites Zone.
    The *. being a wildcard, meaning any Microsoft site, will be recognised by your Browser as a safe site, this helps push through MS Updates faster and safer.

I have had this set for years and is generally accepted as standard practice in the Security Community.

10. TONPumper

I followed the instructions on this site. Does this look like it would do the trick?

11. siljaline

Please try the recommended suggestions, here, here, and here

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.