Not working with WMC7 and Ceton

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by LostInTheTrees, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostInTheTrees

LostInTheTrees Registered Member

I am setting up a Windows Media Center PC. It run Win7-64 with SP1 installed. The tuners are part of 1 Ceton InfiniTV card.

I cannot get Eset Smart Security (64 bit) to work with this. The Ceton appears as an Ethernet port with single host reachable through the port. The Ceton is 192.168.200.1. It has a DHCP server and gives the PC an address of 192.168.200.2. Ceton claims that all interactions with the card use the following ports:
    RTP UDP 5001-5016 IN
    SSDP UDP 1900 IN/OUT
    RTSP TCP 554 OUT
    UPnP TCP 2869 IN/OUT
    WMDRM UDP 5757-5772 OUT

I have tried everything and I cannot get Eset to coexist with the Ceton and WMC. Specifically, the problem seems to be with WMC and not necessarily Ceton. I can get the Ceton diagnostic run in many cases, but WMC routinely fails and reports it cannot find a tuner.

It is clear that Eset is having a serious problem because it even interferes when the Personal Firewall is disabled. When I do this, the Ceton diagnostic will run, but WMC still cannot find tuners.

I have also tried almost every combination of Rules to make this work and nothing seems to do it. I created a zone for the Ceton. I entered all the above ports as new "Allow" rules. I searched through the system rules and disabled all those that conflict with the above. (Why can't I find any information on precedence among rules?) I also tried a general rule allowing all ports in either direction, UDP or TCP. (Why the hell isn't there a simply way to say trust everything in this zone?)

What the heck is going on here and why isn't Eset SS compatible with WMC? The extremely frustrating part is that disabling the firewall does not help.

-Bob

2. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

Hello,

First, please make sure that you have installed the latest version of ESET Smart Security (Version: 4.2.71.2).

Also, have you ensured that UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) protocols are allowed by ESET Smart Security's Personal firewall? See the following ESET knowledgebase article:

How do I configure ESET Smart Security to allow media streaming to my Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3?
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2317

Additionally, you can set the Personal firewall to Interactive mode to create the rules that permit the program's proper function. See the following ESET knowledgebase article:

Why is my application (i.e.: Quickbooks, Peachtree, etc) not working correctly with the Automatic Firewall mode set?
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2140

3. LostInTheTrees

LostInTheTrees Registered Member

I appreciate the suggestions, but they did not work. First I reinstalled ESS and and set up the rules again. I made sure UPnP was enabled as in the note. WMC still cannot get access to the tuners.

The Ceton Diagnostic seems to access the tuners just fine. WMC will seem to access them fine. Then when scheduled recordings occur, these fail with error messages. Finally, WMC cannot receive live transmissions at all. It reports "Viewing or Listening Conflict - No tuner available to satisfy the current request". This is unaffected by restarting the WMC app or restarting the computer.

I tried Interactive mode. A few requests came up and new rules were created. This did not change the WMC problem at all.

When I disable filtering in the Personal Firewall, it has no effect.

I KNOW ESS is the problem, because when I de-install the product, everything works perfectly.

What do I do next?

-Bob

4. TwinScrewedFox

TwinScrewedFox Registered Member

Did you ever manage to get eset working with tuner sharing? Ive tried all the same and cant seem to get it to work. I had some codec issues so I went ahead and started with a fresh install of windows 7...Hoping to solve the eset issue aswell..still no go.

5. Richmanray

Richmanray Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.