Sandboxie Replacement

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by oma53, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Hello,
    Does anyone know of a program similar to Sandboxie?
    This is for a friend who has used Sandboxie on his laptop but since he recently installed a few programs required for school, cannot currently use it. I am not sure why, but he stated the instructor at this computer class stated that it cannot be used with the programs.
    Other than that he never had any trouble with Sandboxie and he would like something similar. He would like it to be free, but he is willing to pay.
    This is for a Win XP Pro system with SP3.
    Thank you.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i dont think theres anything like SBie.

there are sandboxes included in some security suite, Kespersky, Comodo and soon Avast.

your friend could try Defensewall, Geswall or Bufferzone.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If that were me, I would find out why it could not be used. The instructor might not be familiar with it. There might be easy work-arounds. Without knowing, one can only make guesses. I would be suprised if your friend had to completely remove Sandboxie, but most likely only make some configuration changes.

Sul.

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I think that if your friend wants he can try and see if bufferzone pro is still free. Last time I went to the site (1 wk ago) it was still free.

Of course I agree with sully as well. I wouldn't be to quick to drop sandboxie. There has to be some easy reason why he/she isn't allowing it.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If Sandboxie wasn't around then my first choice app would be Defensewall.

6. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Thanks everyone who replied.

My friend states that the instructor is very familiar with Sandboxie as he strongly suggest it for his students. This is where he first heard about it.
    The program he is having trouble with has to do with his ability to sign into some online classes and the school has never found a way around it so far. My understanding is that they think they are close to finding a solution so the students can run Sandboxie.
    For now I will let him know the above program suggestions. Actually, I better look into this myself as I did not know the answer to his question.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Instructor - Kees?

Do you know if the question on a fix has been asked over at SB's forum?

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Geswall is a great isolation software.

9. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Franklin,
    This is just a local community college in Oregon.
    My understanding is this was brought up to the forum about a year ago. Good question anyway and I will check with him about this.
    Thank you.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Ditto.... geswall is excellent, and light on resources. I've got it on my desktop and laptop. Desktop is an old machine with 512RAM. No slowdown at all.

11. huisinro

huisinro Registered Member

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think currently Sandboxie is unique in the way it works :D

13. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

This might be different, why not try VirtualBox? Or just DropMyRights on your internet facing applications?

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

VirtualBox uses too much resources for a simple things as Sandboxing your browser/programs.
    Drop my rights i guess isn't as tight as Sandboxie :)

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@OP:
    That is ( as per responses ) a somewhat unusual circumstance.
    Can u be more specific re your friends needs and problems ?

Uumm: maybe gettin' a little lateral here...;)
    ..but.. if he wants some 'privacy' +/- security = Linux live CD ??

Heh. :)

If Sbie is unusable...??how exactly and used for what ?
    ....then Defencewall?, GESWall ?? if security an issue.
    VBox not too heavy.

16. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Longboard,
    If is understand correctly, the program he is having trouble with is for an accounting class that he is taking online. Since he has to enter a number of passwords when he logs onto his class, he likes the security of Sandboxie. He found out today that the accounting program is being modified for this (not getting along with Sandboxie) and other errors. The programing class at his school wrote the accounting program and they state they should have it corrected by this week. Again, this is not a problem with Sandboxie, but of the students accounting program.
    My main reason for asking was that I wanted to know myself as I did not know how to answers his original question of was there anything similar to Sandboxie. Since Sandboxie has always been an excellent program for me I have not had a reason to check into something else.
    Thank you.

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

18. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Now this is something to look into.. are you using it? How is it?:)

19. huisinro

VMLite VirtualApps Player does exactly what SandboxIE does, plus more. We will release free download after about one month.

It creates a virtual environment, that you can install new apps, or run existing apps securely.

These are some screenshots:

Attached Files:

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes i've been trying this out recently and for a freebie its quite good. Its easy to use, after ur browsing session you simply click the trash bin button and it shuts down firefox and clears everything from that session. When you restart it you have a new, clean version of firefox. In the options it gives you a summary of what activities have been going on during ur browsing session. It also gives you network access control so you can control wat sites can be visited. Theres also a process control option so you can control wat processes are allowed to run.

21. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Will there be any paid version ? if yes what will be the difference between free and paid ?

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Great news end of Q2 2011 :thumb:

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Try bufferzone, they are giving the pro for free now :thumb:

http://www.trustware.com/

24. huisinro

The paid version will allow to generate a single exe that runs anywhere without installation. For example, you can deploy apache, php, MySQL in a package, or to deploy .NET apps to run without .NET Framework installation, etc.

The free version provides mainly a sandboxing, but you can still copy and paste to other machines to run the virtualized apps.

We have tested most complex apps, such as MS SQL Server, Oracle db, Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, Office, etc.

25. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

thanx for answering..looks good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.