IE9 RC1 out now!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No thread yet?

http://www.neowin.net/news/ie-9-rc-gets-the-preview-treatment

Download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/home

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I just installed it, overall it feels quite some faster and more stable (I already was using the Beta as main browser).

I am currently looking at the ActiveX filtering and Tracing Protection. For now, it all seems to be working nicely. You will have to enable both of them manually first. By going to Gear -> Security -> ActiveX Filtering and Tracing Protection. I like the way it works with the icon in the address bar, really intuitively. On Firefox I never used Adblock Plus because I didn't like it, this solution (more of an Adblock Plus light though) will probably have a longer lasting life.

Also it contains a lot of good changes to the user experience, it displays download speed in the Download Manager, the interface has been optimized some more, also you can displayers Tabs on a seperate row (below address bar). The notification bar was updated a little, it contains a nice option to allow pop-ups for once. Less fram pixels, close buttons on inactive tabs (on hover). Classic menu bar optionally.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
  3. elapsed

I turned on ActiveX filtering and now it has a "Not allowed" icon in the address bar I can click on websites and allow flash to run.

In other (sad) news, 32bit still miles ahead of 64bit on SunSpider.
    ie9.png

4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

5. elapsed

Thanks Creer updated the first post with your link and my sig :cool:

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

No problem elapsed :)

BTW. Here are mine tests of SunSpider on different web browsers:

IE9 RC: 352.6ms +/- 1.6%
    Opera 11.01: 375.5ms +/- 2.4%
    FireFox 3.6.13: 1229.8ms +/- 6.1%

Amazing score IE9 RC :eek:

7. elapsed

Nice results but don't give too much credit to SunSpider gotta test a wide range of things. (Also keep in mind that 25ms is nothing.)

The reason I used it was specifically to show that the 64bit javascript engine simply isn't as good as the 32bit one.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I can't enable Tracking Protection :( ActiveX Filtering is enabled and shows a checkmar next to it, but if I click Tracking Protection the menu closes and the Addon menu opens, where you can look and edit your list for tracking protection, but it doesn't seem to be enabled, and I don't see an icon in the address bar. It replaced InPrivate filtering btw.(I think that was just web beacons and trackers, but this new one also does cookies, advertisements and more according to neowin.)

Finally, download manager and download speed :) close buttons on inactive tabs are also great.

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

You have to enable Tracking Protection in the Addon menu, go to Tracking Protection in the left window. Select Your personalized list in the right window. And in the bottom click Enable/Turn on

10. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Here is softpedia article about latest IE9 performance:
    -http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE9-RC-Performance-Superior-to-IE9-Beta-to-All-Rival-Browsers-183736.shtml

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm getting a Bad Pool Header BSOD when I try installing IE9 RC x86 on my Windows 7 laptop. This may be peculiar to my system - anyone else seeing this? I did have IE9 Beta running on the laptop no problem, but I decided to uninstall and revert back to IE8. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this? Before the last attempt I ran disk cleanup, unloaded all background applications and disabled my antivirus, but no joy.

12. elapsed

When you installed it did you get a warning asking you to close programs or reboot your pc at the end of installation. I selected the reboot option instead of it closing programs, maybe you selected close programs and it's giving you problems?

Also, do you have all your windows updates? I believe there might have been a "pre-update", though one would think IE9 would probably do this for you, never know.

13. elapsed

Seems like IE9 is leading the way in HTML5 standards (at least according to the limited pool of specific tests that Microsoft has chosen ;))

http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/ietestcenter/

ie9tests.png

Anyone else laughing at IE8? Here I was thinking it wasn't that bad...

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It crashes at the very beginning when it first says "downloading Internet Explorer". I'll have to check if I have all the available security updates installed.

15. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

When installing the x64 version of IE9 (Win 7 x64 OS).....does it also install the 32-bit version of IE9 RC?

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Downloaded and installed, but i rarely use it :D

can't believe the 64-bit is so slow compared to the 32-bit :eek:
    And i though 64-bit programs ran sleeker when coded correctly :rolleyes:

17. elapsed

Yes, you need the 64bit installer which will install both.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

have you tried in safe mode with networking to see if it has the same results??

19. elapsed

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't - can it be installed in SAFE mode?

21. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

@Victek123

I had the same BSOD problem! If you have the Beta installed, uninstall it and reboot. Then install the RC, it worked for me.

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not sure but worth a shot

23. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Nice :)

Thanks, it's working now. The icon in the URL bar only showed at some sites about ActiveX filtering, so I thought that tracking protection had a different icon, but now that I've added a list through elapsed's link it also shows the tracking protection working :)

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

In another thread I saw Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 9 is already available. Does that mean that IE9 final is coming soon?

Update: I just checked and the toolkit for IE8 was made available two months before it's release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.