'Error during the update of the lnsfw1 driver: 5 62

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by stevvie, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevvie

stevvie Registered Member

EVERY time I try to install Looknstop 2.07 X64 on my windows X64 machine I am given this error 'Error during the update of the lnsfw1 driver: 5 62' How do I now install looknstop. I have tried rebooting and even resorting going through the registry and pruning the tens of left over entries it installs when it fails. It still installs most of the stuff into programs file and the registry and the uninstall entried for me. Thanks

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi stevvie,

Did you use Look ‘n’ Stop ‘Priority Support’ web form - http://www.looknstop.com/En/support2.htm ? Or you never bought a license for this product yet?

Was Look ‘n’ Stop product installed on that Windows install previously to the v2.07 install attempt?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. stevvie

i have a license,

and No this was a clean install, I re-installed windows7 X64 and managed to get LNS to install but now out of the blue look 'n' stop driver has a YELLOW caution mark and say's 'This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)'. I have tried reinstalling it and removing it then installing it running LooknStop_Remains.exe in between with rebooting after installing it, rebotting then running LooknStop_Remains.exe then rebooting and installing look'n'stop.

4. Phant0m

Just to clarify; You Install Look 'n’ Stop, re-boot, uninstall Look 'n’ Stop, re-boot, and run LooknStop_Remains utility? Then you install Look 'n’ Stop again, re-boot, and still with the same anomaly?

5. stevvie

I uninstall LNS, Reboot
    I run LooknStop_Remains utility, Reboot
    install LNS, Reboot
    And then see the yellow icon with code 31 error.
    But the strange thing is that LNS does stop programs going out and DOES stop intrusions comming in, I tested this by changing the port that VNC connects to and sure enough it shows an intrusion in the log AND stops you connecting.

6. Phant0m

The problematic driver not being loaded is the one for Application filtering.

Did you try re-running Look ‘n’ Stop Remains utility twice in a row to ensure all entries seen are all fully removed?

Do you get a error when trying to manually remove this problematic driver from device manager? or does she disappear (leaving Look ‘n’ Stop still installed), and if you re-boot, re-visit Device manager, she’s still gone?

7. stevvie

I removed my firefox from the application list and when I run firefox again it asked me to allow it on the net, so the strange thing is that all of lns seems to be working. An no I did not run the remains utility twice.

No error, If I select delete on this driver, a window comes up saying uninstalling driver but the driver is still there. I'm hesitant as messing around too much with lns as me and a few others on this forum have had huge problems in the past when lns stops working or won't install , and only a reinstall of windows seems to fix it. I will try running the remains utility twice, after uninstalling lns and rebooting.

Right now this time I get an error when uninstalling LNS, the error is 'Uninstallation of the lnsfw1 driver has reported error 1 00000430.'
    This is what I feared, I just hope a system restore is going to fix this.

Damn, I'm now getting what others have got is the error 'Unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0) AGAIN :(

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. Phant0m

reinstall of the Look 'n' Stop, and Yes to replacing should correct it? Then running the uninstall and uninstalling should be possible.

9. stevvie

but neither reinstalling or uninstalling and the reinstalling is correcting this. I don't know what else to do as I really don't want to reinstall windows again for look'n'stop, as I've already done this twice just for look'n'stop.

10. Phant0m

When you ran the Look ‘n’ Stop Remains utility, it created a file to be renamed and executed. Running the Remains utility the second time, did it show anything for the saved file contents?

11. stevvie

the contents of Looknstop_remains.txt is just one line reading
    'Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00'.

I had to do a system restore back to the point of BEFORE removing LNS. And it all seems to work but as I said before I get the yellow caution sign and an error code of 31 on the look'n'stop driver.

12. Phant0m

All driver and device info is stored in the registry so if you delete it from there you will not see it in the device manager.

Run the Look ‘n’ Stop product own uninstall procedure, re-boot, and visit the following listed registry areas (if you are familiar some with the Windows registry), and delete.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\S4E_LNSDRIVERMP
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\S4E_LNSDRIVERMP
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\S4E_LNSDRIVERMP

You will not be allowed to delete these by default. Right click on the folder named 'S4E_LNSDRIVERMP’ to bring up a list and go to 'Permissions'. You are classified apart of a group 'Everyone' you will have to tick the box under 'allow' giving yourself 'Full Control' click OK.

Before proceeding you should export each of the listed locations before deleting them, and re-boot and check device manager to ensure the bad entry no longer exists.

btw; Remains utility been updated to list these locations if exists, but it won't be-able to handle / remove these in the default permissions state.

13. stevvie

I had uninstalled look'n'stop and then run the cleanup utility and then searched the registry for all soft4ever and lns entries and removed the 10's of entried it left behind, including the 3 S4E_LNSDRIVERMP entried but that only led to the error 'Unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0)' when i reinstalled look'n'stop after a reboot.

I have just heard back from the support team The seem to think this is ok and happens sometimes. So they seem to know about it. This is what they said.

'This happens sometimes, after uninstalling/reinstalling Look 'n' Stop.

If Look 'n' Stop works properly (in particular: statistic information on the
    welcome page are not 0), then it's better to let the installation as it is
    now, and sorry for this yellow mark in the device manager.

If you plan to uninstall Look 'n' Stop completely, you may try the following
    FAQ topic, to remove all remaining Look 'n' Stop drivers:
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq_problems.htm#driver_remove
    '
    This looks like they know trying to fix it could make it worse ;)

14. Phant0m

The error 0 problem I think comes from the registry entries;
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_LNSFW1]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_LNSFW1]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_LNSFW1]

Best thing to-do is uninstall Look ‘n’ Stop using it’s own uninstaller, re-boot, run the remainers utility, and the steps detailed. Then re-run the remainers utility (v1.02 now out) , verify all the remainers are gone. Any remainers still showing requires manual removal, and know-how on changing registry key permissions and deleting these.

15. Phant0m

I’ve been investing into the errors that you experiencing, .. in hopes to help clarify and aid.

The 'Error during the update of the lnsfw1 driver: 5 62' looks like something new, and Frederic would be-able to tell you right-off exactly the meaning of this error message. You never had the greatest luck with Look ‘n’ Stop product, dating way back you had install problems, you must be doing something wrong... :p

I’m having a problem understanding why your Look ‘n’ Stop emulation driver shown under ‘Network adapters’ in Device Manager is showing a problem, with error message, ‘This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)’. And you said that Look ‘n’ Stop - Internet Filtering was functioning normal, the only things that makes since is that there was duplicates, one that was installed and working properly, another that failed to remove fully and still remains.

Regarding the famous ‘Unable to load the lnsfw driver (error 0)’ error message (as you had just put it on the other topic).. The only time I’ve read this showing up is when there is system-related bad cases, that is preventing the lnsfw driver from installing, or installing fully. Different cases is known to cause these errors, like the use of Total Uninstall product, and installing Look ‘n’ Stop while another software firewall product still installed or even the remaining traces still exists.

To troubleshoot these, when installing and there is an error message, copying it and posting it on here. Whether it’s a current situation or a situation dated wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-back, what would be even easier to allow us to better understand these issues, and provide faster solutions is to have the file “C:\WINDOWS\Inf\setupapi.app.log" compressed using maximum ratio and attaching it to the post for someone like myself or Frederic to go through.

And for the record, I not even once had an issue installing and uninstalling Look ‘n’ Stop product, on the different machines and Windows I had used and using now ... must be something I’m doing right. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  16. stevvie

well touch wood this time it works, as I have reinstalled windows7 yet again for look'n'stop, I think it's worth it as when it's running right it's the best firewall I've used. I've had some strange issues with lns as the last few weeks it's started showing HUGE amounts of memory used in task manager from arround 6meg (the usual) right up to over 1GIG yes 1GIG, only a reboot got the memory back.

17. Phant0m

Probably because it wasn't working right, relating to install issues.

18. Phant0m

The only other known reason for high memory usage, is when there are many loggings on the Log screen, clearing the Look ‘n’ Stop - ‘Log’ screen / TAB and minimizing should be efficient to bring it back to normal memory usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.