OS Recovery Discs

Discussion in 'hardware' started by RCGuy, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I've noticed at one national chain(which I'm not sure if I can mention) that it no longer provides an OS recovery disc with the purchase of their computers. You now have to purchase a recovery disc that their technical/repair departmet burns for you.

Now when I purchased my current pc from this chain back in 2006, it came with an OS recovery disc. Also, when I purchased a used pc from an independent computer store back in 2003, I was explained that the Windows XP installation disc came with the purchase and contributed to amount that I paid for the computer.

Therefore, what I would like to know is: Is that the common practice for national chains and perhaps independent retailers to now charge extra for a OS recovery discs, even though the recovery discs/installtion discs used to constitute part of the pc's purchase price? And if so, doesn't that negate the idea that 'the prices of computers are going down' if you now have to pay extra for something that used to be part of the purchase price of a computer?

2. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I recently purchased an Acer desktop from Amazon ( £ 600 )
    It came with no instructions and no recovery discs. There are very basic instructions ( in a pdf doc ) on how to take care of the pc. ( like how to clean it :blink: )
    It was up to me to look for the E-recovery program which allowed me to burn the recovery dvd's.
    A beginner would have been totally unaware that the process even existed. There was no prompt or mention of this program.
    Also it was up to me, to find that windows 7 allows you to take an image of the pc and burn a repair / boot disc to restore to that image. Which i did.
    Funnily enough the pc came with 3 blank dvd's. Which were obviously for creating the recovery discs, but no mention of there purpose ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I totally agree with you. When you pay for the OS, you should get an OS installation disk. However most brand name companies (Dell, HP etc) make you pay extra for an OS disk. They use this method to discourage people from getting an installation disk for the OS. I believe Microsoft is behind it and I believe they think that they can cut down on piracy with this move. In my opinion, Microsoft executives should be put on long term electric shock therapy. This is no way to treat people who purchase their software. No wonder Windows is the most pirated software around.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

I go through quite a few computers, I have a desktop gaming machine, a home server machine and netbook currently.

I have a few windows disks lying around so it neevr really bothered me, I always take image backups of my system, so recovery is usually done the easy way for me.. 30 mins-1 hour, and bham. I've restored my entire hard drive again.

I guess it's more of a cost saving measure for them. it probably adds to the cost of the device if they supply a disk, so they want to keep prices right down so they sell it seperately.

The piracy argument is a strange one, anyone who wants to pirate software is free to do so, there are endless streams of pirate sites gives easy downloads to OSs. I doubt it stops piracy, more like inconveniences the paying customers.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

They All have recovery disks, Its just that now you have to call them and ask, and of course pay for them as well

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

There is a difference between the recovery disk and installation disk. You can still make a recovery disk from your computer. All you need is blank DVDs. This is what the companies want you to do instead of doing a clean install of the OS. A recovery disk will only bring your computer back to the state it was when you first got it. It is just a image restore. An installation disk on the other hand has further benefits. It is bootable and can solve most mbr related issues. You can also use it to restore your computer to an earlier state, using system restore, in case your PC won't boot due to a virus or corruption. It also gives you a copy of the OS in case you need to install or uninstall some windows related feature.

The issue with piracy is that since oem based OS disks are pre-activated so you can use it to install on any computer with only a minor modification. Retail disks need to be activated. Of course it does not stop piracy in any way, but Microsoft believes it does. This is the logic behind not giving installation disks, I read it some years ago.

As far as cost is concerned. How much would it cost to slip in an installation DVD with a computer? Dell charges $15 and HP charges $19 if you want to purchase an installation disk. Surely a DVD does not cost this much and you have already paid for the OS.

7. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Something on a related note: Doesn't it seem unethical that computer manufacturers only use 256 MB of RAM(and I'm talking about 4 years ago), but the store where you purchased the computer tells you that 256 MB isn't going to be enough RAM and that it would be better if you purchased another 256 MB of RAM that they can install for you? :mad: I mean, why don't the manufacturers just put in 512 MB of RAM(or however much is adequate for today's computers) in their computers from the get-go? :mad:

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

So they can have you buy RAM and make money. :p

9. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Ripp-off artists! :mad: :cautious: :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.