PG and defrag.exe

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Whynot, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

What would cause defrag.exe to run on it's own ? I never use defrag - use diskeeper, however PG blocked defrag.exe from running. I haven't scheduled it to run. TDS and NOD32 give me a clean bill of health so any ideas what prompted this? :doubt:

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi Whynot,

I had the same problem before and i have found why ;)

The problem has appeared for me since the moment I have enabled the "Prefetcher" feature on Windows XP, which is BTW enabled by default (I have had disabled it in the past).

Without Process Guard you don't notice it, but it still happens in the background.

The Prefetcher speed up the boot time after you log onto a session, and the defrag starts automatically when you enable prefetcher for boot + app (XP try to put in cache often launched apps).
    It seems that by only enable it for boot only the defrag doesn't try to start anymore, at least on my comp :

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters"

"EnablePrefetcher" = (dword) 2

Just set the value to 2 and try to reboot.

defrag.exe is set on "block always" on my system now, but PG doesn't anymore loads the popup saying it has blocked it as before, so I guess all is fine :)

regards,

gkweb.

3. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

Thanks gkweb, I'll give it a go. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.