Keriver 1-click Restore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by timcan, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Of course I was - isn't K1CR the subject of this topic?

I'm simply pointing out that K1CR is not an ISR, nor is it at all similar to EF/RB. It's a disc-imaging product which includes a boot-console (by modifying the MBR, I would imagine).

And here is the part of their limited documentation upon which I based my previous remarks:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes.
    Please, please, very please!

Or/and might be a discount on Keriver Image when we already are 1-CR's licensee?

Bienvenu dans ce forum!

3. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, :) please re-read what I wrote.
    I was only making reference to the developer not EF ,RB.
    Sorry for any confusion.:)

4. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Gotcha ...but there are other commentaries in this thread which seem to ask if, or suggest that, K1CR is an ISR (like CTM/EF/RB). So I was just trying to add some insight.

Peace,
    Aaron

5. 2010freesoho

2010freesoho Registered Member

Sorry, I'd never trialed FirstDefense-ISR. But I don't think that 1-click Restore v1.1 is compatible with FirstDefense-ISR.

The version on official website is always the latest one. Sometime we made some very minor fixes and upload to the official website. In this case, the version on some download sites will be different from the one on our official website. But please don't worry, if there are any big fix or improvement, we will update it on the download sites simultaneously.
    Thank you choosing Kerive 1-Click Restore Pro.

6. 2010freesoho

With Keriver Image V5, when booting from the recovery media, a extra 'validate' beside backup & restore are availbale. If you want to try Keriver Image, I recommend you strongly to try version 5.0 because the ver5.0 is almost ready except some UI and documents issues.

And if you'd like more functions, a cmd windows for example, we also give the users a BartPE plugin. Please download the BartPE plugin from this link: http://www.keriver.com/download/Keriver_plugin.zip

7. 2010freesoho

Thank you for your message.
    The Keriver Image supports win7 32bit edition fully. But It only supports partially win7 64bit edition. If you use Keriver Image to do a backup of the system partition (C: in most cases) on Win7 64bit edition, the Volume Shadow Copy Service cannot start successully. So the backup can only proceeds in active mode and will finish successfully at almost every time except that you are running a database-like software on the partition which is being backed up. This is the only point the 'partially' word meant and all other functions of Keriver Image will work on Win7 64bit edition. We need about two months to solve the problem of Win7 64-bit edition.

But you can work it aroud by backing up through booting your computer from a Recovery CD/DVD or USB flash drive.

By the way, the price of Keriver Image is not $30/year but $30 per license. Thanks.

8. 2010freesoho

Yes, 1-Click Restore doesn't bear any relation to EF/RB.
    But you still can recover files and/or folders from any snapshots with Keriver Image. And we will add this function to 1-Click Restore soon.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'm sure it wasn't your intention but your comment implies that Keriver Image carries a *lifetime license*. Well, I guess it does in a way, except that, after 1 year, it cannot be updated or upgraded. Here's what it says on Keriver's site...

In other words, it seems that Image will keep working after 1 year, but bug-fixes, improvements, etc, won't be available. This is kind of like Ilya's approach with DefenseWall.

I like this approach because it is a fairly realistic business model -- it gives good prospects for keeping the company going financially, BUT it still gives less-well-to-do customers a bit of a break.

QUESTION for 2010freesoho: after the 1st year, how much are you planning to charge for renewals, so that those who renew WILL be able to get updates & upgrades?

10. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification, just a couple of questions left...

When using this method is it still backing up incrementally or are all backups full backups?

Sorry, I mixed up the terms with those for 1CLP. 1CLP states a price for a licence and support for 1 year, implying there will be additional charges for maintenance after a year. I do see that the licence for Image is $29.90USD but without any mention of a time limit on maintenance. Does this mean the $29.90 is for "lifetime" maintenance?

TIA

11. 2010freesoho

Sorry for that I didn't reply you fast. But the strange thing is that I cannot receive your email. I have checked my email inbox and spam, no any email about win7 64-bit issue.

The following is the information of Win7 64-bit edition:
    The Keriver Image supports win7 32bit edition fully. But It only supports partially win7 64bit edition. If you use Keriver Image to do a backup of the system partition (C: in most cases) on Win7 64bit edition, the Volume Shadow Copy Service cannot start successully. So the backup can only proceeds in active mode and will finish successfully at almost every time except that you are running a database-like software on the partition which is being backed up. This is the only point the 'partially' word meant and all other functions of Keriver Image will work on Win7 64bit edition. We need about two months to solve the problem of Win7 64-bit edition.

But you can work it aroud by backing up through booting your computer from a Recovery CD/DVD or USB flash drive.

12. 2010freesoho

Regarding to offer a 50% discount to Wilders members for Keriver Image, No problem for Keriver Development Team. But I don't know how I can give the coupon to Wilders member when they want to buy Keriver Image.

13. 2010freesoho

Are you willing to try Keriver Image 5.0 beta and give me some feedback? If you do, I'm glad to give a free license key.

14. 2010freesoho

Yes, it means that the software will keep working after 1 year, but bug-fixes, improvements, etc, won't be available. But It's just the bottom line of services we give the licensees. In fact, we don't limit the users to update or upgrade to the latest version now. In other words, the users who buy Keriver Image 1.0 can still upgrade to Keriver Image 5.0 now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  15. 2010freesoho

1. Yes, this method still supports to backup incrementally.

2. It means that the software will keep working after 1 year, but bug-fixes, improvements, etc, won't be available. But It's just the bottom line of services we give the licensees. In fact, we don't limit the users to update or upgrade to the latest version now. In other words, the users who buy Keriver Image 1.0 can still upgrade to Keriver Image 5.0 now.

16. bellgamin

When backing up the first time, 1CRP creates zhbackup0.ego. This is obviously the baseline/full backup.

After that, back-ups are numbered zhbackup1.ego and so forth. These are smaller that the baseline backup, & are evidently the incremental back-ups.

QUESTION-1: How can I get 1CRP to start over -- that is, create a NEW baseline/full backup?

QUESTION-2: How can I change 1CRP's "save to" file. I now have 1CRP configured to save on my drive X -- a huge internal hard drive. Later on I will want it to instead save to my drive H -- a huge EXTERNAL hard drive. How can I make this change WITHOUT reinstalling 1CRP?

17. 2010freesoho

It seems that we have lots of work to do to improve Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro. I agree that these two requirements are reasonable and I have informed the developers and they will probably make them available in next version.

Thank you very much for the excellent advices!

18. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Thanks for your answer to my question on Keriver 5 above. I don't mind trying it and giving some feedback also...

Regarding a coupon for Wilders, I am sure the admins here can manage something...

19. ruinebabine

Hi 2010freesoho,

Nice to see you around here.

I re-forward my first email (LaPoste-dot-Net mail service provider), with some added comments. Please tell me if you do not receive this one, so I could use another mail provider (the email is entitled "Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro 1.1 on Windows 7 x64?").

Edit You could also PM me here.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Boot menu is IMO a competitive advantage.

21. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I gave 1-click Restore a run and it is fully compatible with FirstDefense-ISR.

A suggestion: It would be nice to add a feature to start the restoration from within windows. The user selects the snapshot that he wishes to be restored, the system reboots to the recovery enviroment and starts the restoration. (it should be easy to achieve with the creation of an ini file in the "Keriver 1-Click Backup Folder" and if the restoration is succefull 1-click Restore PE should delete the ini and reboot the system).

Panagiotis

22. pandlouk

Create a txt file with then following string:
    then change its extention in bat and run it from the back up drive.
    Same as above but use the following strings:
    Panagiotis

23. ruinebabine

Thanks for that, pandlouk.
    It will be a more easy going to go test Keriver 1-CR / Image on xp and win 7 now! :D

I also fully concur with your feature suggestion.
    And thanks for the last batch tip!
    :thumb:

24. pandlouk

My pleasure.:)

@2010freesoho
    Another must is the image verification. As it is now, the user has no means to verify that the image is good.
    Also, please report to the developers that if a ego file is deleted or corrupted the subsequent files should be deleted before continuing. In this version it gives an error but then continues with creating another incremental.

Panagiotis

25. bellgamin

I asked the Board Admin (LowWaterMark) as to how 2010freesoho could provide a coupon to ONLY Wilders members without having that code be published and used all over the internet.

Part of LWM's reply is paraphrased as follows:
    Even if a way was set up to give a coupon code to Wilders members only, it would be leaked very quickly. ...It would quickly end up being posted around the internet, within perhaps even a couple days.

One way would be for each member who wants the code to send the vendor (2010freesoho) a Private Message (PM). The vendor could then give each individual a UNIQUE, 1-time-use code. The vendor should limit how many codes he gives out, and also limit WHO he gives them to.

Other than this, there's not much else that can be done to limit abuse of any discount code.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@2010freesoho -- Hey, if that is too much trouble to do, maybe someone can come up with a better idea. We DO understand your need to prevent your special discount codes from being published all over the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.