Keriver 1-click Restore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by timcan, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timcan

timcan Registered Member

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I downloaded a trial but will not try it until after I image my system disk.

Somebody else -- please trial this thing. It sounds interesting but I can't trial it right now -- I have to water the orchids.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    LATER - - -
    I made an image then I installed 1-Click Restore Pro (1-CRP), 30-day trial. Then I had it do a backup of the system disk drive C to my built-in drive X. Then I installed some apps (so as to cause changes) & rebooted. 1-CRP's special boot screen showed up, but for MUCH too short of time to make a selection -- perhaps for only a second.

I tried again. Same bad result.

I am running WinXP SP-3.

It's too bad about this issue because, otherwise, 1-CRP looks like an excellent back-up program.

I have reported this issue to 1-CRP's proponent.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, 1-CRP does NOT require a restart during install so it *might* be possible to test drive it in Shadow Mode. I can't say for sure because I didn't do it that way. Instead I first made an image before installing 1-CRP. If you decide to follow the image approach, be sure & use 1-CRP's uninstall routine BEFORE restoring the pre-1CRP image. Otherwise, the boot-up table will still be present even after restoring the image.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

You could use the keyboard's "Pause" key as a temporary work around.

4. bellgamin

I never thought of that. In fact I have never ever used my computer's Pause key at all. Duhhh

I would have to already have my finger on it & press it instantly -- the start up table really zooms by fast.

In any event, I would prefer for the Keriver folks to address this issue. If they do, I am very inclined to buy this program at it present discounted price. I am a long-time, very satisfied used of Image for DOS, but I like the idea of 1-CRP's incremental backup ability IF & ONLY IF it doesn't eat up a lot of cpu. (I didn't test that aspect, but I should have).

5. ruinebabine

Did you tell them about this bug?

Please keep us informed of your findings about this Keriver 1-click Restore. I would also be interested to buy it at their current discounted price.

6. bellgamin

I sent an email about this bug at ~2 PM. Within an hour I had a reply from Keriver, asking me to upload a certain file. I did so. Within an hour they sent me a replacement file. I pasted it in, rebooted, & POOF! it worked perfectly.

I am now a registered licensee of 1-CRP. I recommend it if you need such a program. It's now 1/2 priced -- for $10 it's hard to beat the price.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When saving, a thermometer appears, together with an estimate of how long it will take. The first estimate will startle you, because it looks like it will take forever. But that estimated time is quickly & constantly recalculated & drops VERY fast.

My first backup took just under 1 hour. Subsequent backups are incremental so they should be much much faster.

The restore also produced a thermometer with a high estimated time. That time was recurrently recalculated & dropped VERY fast. The restore took about 20 minutes. The restoration performed as advertised -- namely, it reverted my system disk back to the exact state of my computer BEFORE those several changes (new installs etc) that I had made in order to test 1-CRP.

I took a look at Process Explorer & spotted 3 processes for 1-CRP's "shadowing" of changes (2 instances of dllhost.exe & 1 instance of vssvc.exe). ALL 3 of them were Microsoft processes, so they should (hopefully) be very light & fast.

I then took a look at Process Hacker, which does a better job than Process Explorer does, when it comes to giving info about services.

The only service I found that MIGHT be connected to 1-CRP is shown below. Note that it is now stopped, & it starts "on demand" -- I guess that "demand" happens whenever an action is taken that causes a change to the system drive. Time will tell.

Here's the screenie. . .

ScrHunt02 19-Sep-10.gif

NOTE: There's another thread now on-going where they are discussing SEVERAL back-up programs. I'm going to add a post there encouraging them to take a look at 1-CRP.

7. ruinebabine

Thanks bellgamin.

I like it so far and will continue to test it on 7x64 next week.
    They have now at least 2 licensees!

8. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Is This app something like Comodo Time machine.Eaz - FIx ?

9. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

Seems an interesting product. Could you tell us if the boot menu installation is optional or if it's done during the installation process without the user being able to change anything ? Also, is it possible to create a recovery media (USB key or CD/DVD) ?

Thanks.

10. bellgamin

I have requested the proponent of 1CRP to reply to questions/comments on this thread. I hope that he can find time to respond. Please be patient for a couple of days.

I am continuing to make extensive use of 1CRP. So far it is excellent. It certainly does not manifest all the many glitches that I encountered when I tried using Comodo Time Machine. I have never used Eaz so cannot comment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As noted I am by no means an expert concerning 1CRP. In my experience, the boot menu was done during installation & was not optional.

IMO, the boot menu is a crucial necessity. If Windows crashes, locks up, etc -- or you install a new HD because of "metal failure" of your system HD, you will NEED to be able to restore from the boot menu because Windows will be dead/unavailable to help in any way.

On Keriver's web page re 1CRP it says that ICRP can do a restore even if the system HD has been formatted. I haven't tested this out yet, nor do I want to. But this is a feature that sold me on 1CRP -- for *disaster scenarios*, recovery via a boot menu is essential, IMO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1CRP's website is quoted as follows . . .

I'm pretty sure that "USB flash drive" is the same as "USB key" so the answer to the 1st part of your question seems to be "Yes." As to the CD/DVD -- I can only guess. I hope 1CRP's proponent finds time to visit & add to or correct the info herein.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  11. MerleOne

I already have a special bootblock, from another recovery product, and I don't want to lose it just because I tried OneClick.

12. 2010freesoho

2010freesoho Registered Member

No, 1-CRP is not software like Comodo Time machine or EAZ-FIX.
    1-CRP is a software backing up all data on your system partition to another partition.
    Strictly, Comodo Time machine is not a backup software. The strong points and weak points of CTM are almost equally great.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  13. 2010freesoho

The boot menu installation is not optional now and you can not create a recovery media (USB key or CD/DVD) now.

But, We will upgrade 1-CRP to version 2.0 next month and in the next version 2.0 the boot menu installation will be optional and meanwhile you can create a recovery media (USB key or CD/DVD).

All those functions are available in Keriver Image 5.0 now, so we are able to add them to 1-CRP fast.

14. MerleOne

Thanks for the clarification. One more question : is there somewhere a list of changes between Keriver 4 & 5 ?

15. 2010freesoho

What's new for version 5.0:
    1. A more professional user interface has been developed.
    2. Support to backup only folders and/or files beside backing up a whole partition.
    3. Cloning partition or disk directly is now available.
    4. Support to restore in windows (certainly cannot restore to the system partition of C: )
    5. Log is available.

16. ruinebabine

Is 1-click Restore v1.1 compatible with FirstDefense-ISR (from Leapfrog Software) and its pre-boot user interface? Note that FD-ISR makes use of the PBR (partition boot record), but not the MBR.

The version offert to your licensees, from your site, is not the same as the ones on the download sites right now (different hash), am I right to presume that yours is different because it is a more recent build? Or is it a different one by other means? Can we reinstall easily and at will or do we have to ask for a kind of "reset" of our license?

17. MerleOne

Great, thanks !

One more feature I'd like to have : sa far, with V4, when booting from the recovery media, "just" backup & restore are available. But it's not possible, I think, to open a simple cmd windows, for instance to perform chkdsk or other commands. Would it be possible to add that ?

18. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

It looks like 1CLP is a replacement for the full FD-ISR which is good news for those that don't have a full FD-ISR.
    And it simply "blows away" the (crippled) FD Rescue.

However, their Image product looks amazing, it's much better than either FD-ISR (full) or 1CLP.
    Image is more expensive ($30/year) but, if you have a hard drive failure, you can use the Recovery CD/DVD (USB Flash) to: format a new drive, partition it and then restore from the archive image(s) kept on a separate drive
    If you use either 1CRP (or FD-ISR) you'd have to: do a fresh install of Windows, an install of 1CLP (or FD-ISR) and then restore from an archive.
    I've downloaded the Image 15 day trial which I'll test over the next few days on XP-SP3.
    I'll create a clone of my current system disk and play there by uninstalling FD-ISR (programs only - not the archives) and then installing Image. I already have a spare drive for this and lots of room on other hard drives for the data images (archives).
    This has me quite excited because Image is ready for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Win7 out-of-the-box, at least for 32 bit, I haven't seen anything about 64 bit.
    It would be nice if KERIVER could clarify if 64 bit support currently exists. If it does, I could move to W7 64bit easily since Online Armor now supports it too.
    And, for those that have had to do the tricky install of FD-ISR on W7-64bit, you could toss that totally.
    Maybe someone using the 'other' imaging software might like to compare, but Image seems to have everything I want.

19. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Does it support W7 - 64bit?

20. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

From what I can see, this doesn't bear any relation whatsoever to EF/RB. It appears to be a disc-imaging app (with a boot console) rather than an ISR app.

The snapshots are not 'instantaneous' like in EF/RB, nor can you recover individual files/folders, as you can in EF/RB. When you revert to (restore) a past snapshot with this app, you lose all data since that snapshot was taken! Whereas with EF/RB you can recover newer data files/folders into your older snapshot. ;)

21. ruinebabine

Yes, exciting for us FD-isr users, isn't it.

I also emailed support yesterday, inquiring if their 2 programs are 7x64 compatible, but did not receive an answer yet.

I am finishing to build my new system (received my video card today) and should be able to begin testing both products on it by tomorrow, if they confirm compatibility.

-- Edition
    They say in their site that it is "Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista(32/64 bits)" ready, and the 4.1 and 1.1 versions updates each added windows 7 compatibility.
    I just hope we can rightly deduce that both current version are working on Windows 7 64-bit now!

22. ruinebabine

Have you read their documentation pages, Aaron?

23. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

You betcha!

24. ruinebabine

http://www.keriver.com/keriver_image/explore.html

Or I see now that you were probably talking of 1-CR, while I was about their imaging program?

A bit confusing, maybe should we split this thread for each program.

But, I will try to run both 1-CR + Keriver Image trial, side by side, just to test and see if there is real benefit to do so or if one of them would be sufficient enough for my needs.

25. bellgamin

In the very unlikely possibility that someone hasn't already caught it, please be aware that user name "2010freesoho" is the proponent/tech support-guru for Keriver's products.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@2010freesoho - I love the 50% discount for 1CR. Is there a possibility that you might offer a discount to Wilders members for Keriver Image? 50% off would be great, but even a $10 discount would be nice to have.

Any chance?

By the way Welcome to Wilders!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.