Torrent Friendly VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by bryanjoe, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

As above, any to recommend?

By the way, to achieve full throttle for download, does the vpn services still encrypt the transfer?

Understand that some vpn just masked the IP...

2. bryanjoe

3. bryanjoe

4. bryanjoe

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

My favorite is VPNSecure. They are an Australian company that offers:

• Servers in Australia, England, German, Japan, USA, and soon in the Netherlands
    • Unlimited Bandwidth
    • VOIP access
    • All logs are dumped every 15 minutes
    • OpenVPN and PPTP connections
    Soon there will be features that allow IPs to change randomly if wanted every so often, port forwarding, auto login on error.

6. bryanjoe

does it allow p2p and torrent?

7. n8chavez

Yes. I'm working closely with the owner and I can tell you that exciting things are coming in the near future.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm confused. Just the other day you said that you and your family were looking for a VPN service. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=279920

Were you just researching the competition?

9. n8chavez

When I asked those question regarding VPN I did not know anything about the subject. That forced me to research it myself. People can say service X is better than service Y, but that's not good enough for me I wanted to know why. So I researched everything on VPNs and VPN services I could find and eventually found VPNServer. I began asking questions to the operator, a lot of questions. And, after that, I just starting talking to him about a lot of different, including to to improve his service and things like that.

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

That's just odd going from asking that question and knowing nothing about VPNs to "working closely with the owner" of a VPN less than 4 days later. But whatever.

11. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have both a Xerobank and a Cryptohippie account. Xerobank is my favorite. That being said, maybe Torrent Freedom would be an option for a cheaper option. http://www.torrentfreedom.com/

12. bryanjoe

prices abit on the high side..

13. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

14. Lyx

Lyx Registered Member

Recents events are showing that Australia is one of the worst location for anticensorship, privacy, and P2P. So, an australian vpn provider makes me doubtful.

I'm althought interested by one of their features:

What's that ? Openvpn via TCP connections on port 443 ?

15. ccoates

ccoates Registered Member

VPNSecure has a nasty TOS. I haven't seen anything similar to it since the original Geocities TOS that claimed ownership over any content you uploaded to their domain.

Here's the section entitled "Member Conduct":

It then goes on to specifically indicate you are not to use their copyrighted content in any way without written permission, while restating that anything you submit to VPNSecure is theirs to do with as they please.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  16. eric2802000

eric2802000 Registered Member

After doing some research I think Xerobank is the way to go since their servers containing client data are in Panama. And Panama doesnt participate in data retention laws made after 9/11. I sent an email to Xerobank to ask them if their VPN works with IRC and chat and they didnt respond :(

17. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

That's three ;) See this.

18. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use BolehVPN. For software they use OpenVPN, and recommend uTorrent for torrents. It's relatively cheap (~$11/month iirc). Originally I signed up just to obtain IP privacy, but the fee included a free subscription to a private torrent site, so now I've gotten into the habit of checking that site each morning, clicking on a bunch of torrents and leaving my home desktop on to to download it all while I'm at the office. I've had no service problems, and at home I can have both my desktop and laptop connected to their service simultaneously (both use the same router). But I'm not an expert on this stuff so not sure what to look for or how to I would go about testing it.

19. dan901

dan901 Registered Member

How's BolehVPN working out for you? Still going good? I've been scanning their site and forums for a couple days and think I'll give them shot. Like you I was just thinking of surfing privacy, but it looks like I could really get into checking their torrents.

20. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

As far as I can tell it's working perfectly. Obviously I have to trust the people selling the service that they aren't keeping logs of my activity when going through their servers, but I suppose that's the case with every VPN.

21. dan901

dan901 Registered Member

Are you U.S. or overseas? Just curious because bolehvpn's main customer base seems to be based around southeast Asia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.