What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

You should really try Norton AntiVirus 2011 Beta, it is awesome. It is an optimized NAV2010, plus several improvements to especially SONAR.

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Wow, is it really possible to better the 2010 version? Will definitely give it a spin. I believe a lot of us here at Wilders stay away from Norton products due to -
    1. past experiences with older versions.
    2. the image of Norton as the large, old elephant not able to keep up.
    3. not ready to go with a paid for app when so many good freebies exist.
    4. it not being a tinkerer's app, there's lot less to configure in terms of its detection abilities.
    I had some of the same ideas about Norton, until now. Then I had the chance of using the 90 Day trial of Norton AV 2010 that came with my Fujitsu notebook. It was the original 2010 build and took about 10 minutes and a reboot to fully update itself. Using it now made me realize that all the layering we keep talking about, has been taken care of by Norton. This is finally a company that gets-it. Their 360 offering is a blessing for a guy like me who has technically challenged parents with an older notebook. Just set it up and it will take care of everything. Simply amazing. Norton's turn-around should be made a case study in management schools.

3. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

For Win XP: LUA+SRP+SandBoxie+on demand MBAM as in my sig.
    Havent yet closed autostarts for users but will do so soon.

I'm also using Online Armor Free, sorta as a add-on.

Planning to use either XP-Antispy or use SRP to disable windows scripting host
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=279887

For Linux: Nothing yet, AppArmor doesnt come with Debian Lenny; will look into setting up selinux

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I do agree, I also didn't like Norton, untill version 2009. That was a really decent version. 2010 is really good and 2011 is really great.

But I have to admit I still don't like the company behind it: Symantec, also because their pricing here in The Netherlands is pathetic.

5. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Individual choice of security is a personal factor, dictated by circumstances and common sense.

There is no need to install a system that costs a bomb and duplicates the set-up of Fort Knox. Afer all we are just sheep in a vast herd and the threat of personal Armageddon is so remote that it is like not walking on the sidewalk just because somebody fell and busted their hip in Timbuktu.

Just because there was burglary up the street, there is no need to have two vicious Rottweilers, an electronic fence, an AK47, floodlights, a burglar alarm and a couple of Government surplus Claymore mines planted in the garden.

Just enjoy life for what it is - a game of skittles. Some you lose, some you win.

John B

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nuke em.:eek:

7. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I also wanted to use it, pity it is not compatible with x64! :(

8. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Took off Norton Security Suite.
    Added ESET NOD32.

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (Admin Account) [UAC:max] [NAT][DEP:all programs][SEHOP]
    Windows Firewall Inbound + Outbound block
    Prevx SafeOnline

I'm still getting to know my new OS :D

10. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

What...you dont have LUA+SRP? :D

11. mortl

mortl Registered Member

KONATA u made the switch to 7!!! How is it man ??

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

testing MD;)

13. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Defensewall Personal Firewall 3+ KeyScrambler Premium + Hitman Pro

Waiting for Pe Guard 2.2 :thumb:

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I wish MD was available for x64.

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Upgraded RVS 2010 to RSS 2011 and loving it.... Vipre is there w/o any problem.

16. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

LOL. I'm enjoying UAC... but I'll try LUA sometime.

the feeling of security definitely improved alot but... I'm lacking system resources. :D
    I'm using Windows Classic theme XD

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Real-Time
    DefenseWall 3.06

Light Virtualization
    Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325

On-Demand
    CureIt ~ Gmer ~ Malwarebytes

Back-Up
    Macrium Reflect

OpenDNS Opera

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

My updated setup. I am much satisfied and secure with it.

1. KIS 2011 CF1 (11.0.1.400a) interactive mode and manually configured HIPS, Firewall, Anti-Banner, Custom Scan, and Exclusions for my personal needs. Offline updates via Kaspersky Updater 2.2.0.72 (Schedules every 1-hour). I also use KIS Vulnerability Scan and Privacy Cleaner (whenever I disable Returnil System Safe) to check system security/health status and clean junk, which CCleaner might miss. I clean KIS cache after every major/important update (I do not like duplicates in cache folder). KIS configuration is password protected.
    2. Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection (SEHOP), Full Data Execution Prevention (DEP), and User Account Control (UAC) enabled. Software Restriction Policies (SRP) defined as”Disallow” with additional rules/exceptions. Very secure generic approaches.
    3. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 Pro (Protection module enabled/Website blocking disabled) configured for personal need (with exclusions in KIS). Working fine without any conflicts. Slightly more launch time for firefox. Hope in next version, file scanner will have cached feature to speed it things.
    4. Manually configured WinPatrol PLUS 2010 (18.1.2010) for supplementary HIPS protection as well as useful "Delayed Start" feature. CPU Temp, Windows Task Manager, and Returnil tray icon starts after 10, 20, and 30 sec delay on each restart. To clean my startup list/entries, I use Autoruns (10.02).
    5. Returnil System Safe Home Lux 2011 (3.2.10100.5394-REL1) to virtualize my system most of the time. I disable system safe only for Windows/Software Updates + for KIS updates (every 3 days). It also helps me try new software(s) before actual install on my system.
    6. KIS sandbox to virtualize browsing dangerous sites. Works very well. No crash so far.
    7. Firefox 3.6.8 (latest build) with ABP (EasyList, Fanboy's List, Fanboy's Tracking/Stats Blocking) , No Script, Better Privacy, Memory fox, and Office 2010 theme for Firefox.
    8. All software up-to-date. All those updates, which do not require restart, are tested before applying to actual system.
    9. I prefer x64 architecture over x86 due to increased baseline protection and better stability as no good software modifies Windows Kernel (Patch Guard) as well as certified drivers only. Moreover, no rootkit (current/ITW) can disturb/infect x64 OS.
    10. Common sense and updated knowledge (RSS security feeds, Security podcasts, Membership of Blogs, Security sites, Forums, and Beta tester). Constant checking and keeping an eye on what is going on my system (CPU and RAM usage, Active processes, Browser response/hang, and other suspicious things/activities).

Any suggestion will be welcomed.

19. justenough

justenough Registered Member

You probably couldn't get infected with that security set-up if you tried. If you wanted to add something, you could look into a NAT router.

20. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

testing shadow defender :eek:

21. Boyfriend

Thanks for your reply. Actually, this is not possible due to EV-DO Broadband Internet Devices. It can be used only via USB port and have to install and connect via Mobile Partner program.
    Network Attack Blocker (KIS Firewall Component) protects me very well. I have also tested it via different online tests. Moreover, based on my experience I have made custom rules for Firewall and HIPS in KIS with strict permissions and blocked all other programs.

22. Boyfriend

I have tested Shadow Defender (1.1.0.325) and (1.1.0.326) x64 on my setup. Unfortunately, I always get BSOD. Perhaps Shadow Defender has some conflicts with latest KIS 2011 CF1 (11.0.1.400a). I then switch to Returnil. It is working flawlessly with any conflict/crash/slowdown.

23. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thanks jmonge.

Maybe I will try it later for one reason... I'm just curious how the new feature - Registry Protection works :)

I'm pretty satisfied for a long time with my current security setup, see my sig.
    I don't need nothing more so far... Just secure&fast simple combo which gives me peace of mind :)

24. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

lots of rebooting just to setup shadow defender :mad:

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

your welcome

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.