More Outlook 2010 Fun...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by progint, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progint

progint Registered Member

2. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

Upgraded to 2010 a few hours ago, no problems here with ESS 4.2.58.3.

Using two IMAP-accounts

3. progint

4. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

I did have a problem with the links in emails showing a notice that the url could not be found. I use Opera and I thought it was the browser. In the last few weeks that problem was fixed and I think now that ESET had a glitch and not Opera. ESET must have done a fix with one of the upgrades.
    KOR-

5. Groovy

Groovy Registered Member

Exactly the same problem here. Outlook 2010 + ESET AV 32/64 4.2.58.3
    Right Click on a folder, function delete all ==> Crash
    Disabling NOD32 helps.

Is there a solution?

p.s. went back to 4.2.40.10 and the problem has gone... must be an error in 4.2.58

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  6. siersema

siersema Registered Member

Yep - same problem and started to troubleshoot when I noticed the technet forum article. ESET interferes with Outlook 2010 production version. I am using 64 bit and my wife uses 32 bit. Same problem on both computers. That eliminates the OS and Versions of Outlook since both systems act the same.

7. siersema

siersema Registered Member

Forgot to mention that it also crashes with Empty Junk E-mail folder. I have ESET Spam turned off.

8. pbcopter

pbcopter Registered Member

Same problem here, Outlook 2010 x64 crashes upon empty of Junk or deleted folder.

I disabled the ESET add-on in Outlook and the problem goes away of course not the best solution.

9. robis

robis Registered Member

I tried this too same errors but only on POP3 accounts, IMAP works great

workaround:
    you may delete files manualy:
    Code:
    click to folder - by left mouse button
    press CTRL+A - this will select all emails in this folder
    and press delete
    OFFTOPIC all those small funny errors prove me that it is not relevant buying this product ... now I am using free stuff ... but when eset will release with beter enduser quality then maybe I will return

10. Groovy

Groovy Registered Member

Problem still exists in Version 4.2.64.12!
    ESET, is this so hard to fix?

11. cool1007

cool1007 Registered Member

Version 4.2.58 introduced the add-on support for Outlook 2010, that's why you don't have any problems with ESS and Outlook 2010, using previous version 4.2.40.10.

There must be something else interfering (perhaps another Outlook addon). In my computer with Outlook 2010, ESS 4.2.64.12, I have no problem (using Windows 7 x64) and no other Outlook add-on.

I think you'd be better off sending a Sysinspector log to support and see if they can find the culprit. :)

Good luck,

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try disabling scanning on read or the "Remove from server when deleted from Deletem items" option in the email account setup.

13. Groovy

Groovy Registered Member

Disabling scanning on read helps!
    Thanks

14. HealingStargate

This glitch with Outlook has re-appeared for me today. When I click on link from Outlook 2010 email I get (General Failure..the system cannot find the file specified) It does however go to the link in my browser.

I do believe it has something to do with the filtering in ESET. Something may have changed with update in modules.

Just a minor glitch but wonder why it started happening again.

KOR-

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  15. PurgatoryPriest

PurgatoryPriest Registered Member

Just tried " Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted items' " and my issue of crashing when trying to empty the Junk or Trash folders is gone. I do like the feature 'Remove from server' though and hopefully ESET will correct the issue ASAP. However, you can set the option for Outlook to Delete from server after a specified amount of days. I use both options anyhow and just lowered the amount of days Outlook waits to delete a particular message from the server.

Thank you for the tip Marcos. :)

16. HealingStargate

I may be the only one with the email link problem with Outlook 2010. I do NOT think it is ESET. I think it is the Opera browser. Firefox does not cause any problems.
    KOR-

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Could be. No problems here with IE8 and Firefox 3.6.8.

18. cool1007

Suddenly today I started experiencing this issue (which previously had not manifested itself). Only different in my machine is that I installed the update KB2264107 last night, regarding the latest DLL exploit in common applications. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but Marcos tip "'Remove from server when deleted from Deletem items'" did fix the crash.

Any comments on when a fix for this bug will be ready or if at least ESET has been able to reproduce it?

19. progint

There is a helpful workaround here on the Microsoft Partner site: http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/da51ee00-19ce-41e6-a73e-f0d13c72a4e9/

and my response to this work around:
    Thanx for the update, it is helpful to know there is a work around. However, AV companies are in submission to OS/Suites not the other way around. What I mean is that changing outlook productive functionality is NOT a solution for us or our clients just so they can use an anti-virus suite. Try explaining to a client that has no knowledge of these things why they have to manually delete now, etc because of a bug the security suite that the vendor is not willing to address. The more economical and customer service answer for us is to get rid of the buggy software and continue with reliability, functionality, and stability. For instance, I am not going to bill our clients to change outlook settings that have worked fine for years, it is easier to roll out a new security solution that does not have these issues and took the effort to appeal to Microsoft and get code to accomodate base applications and operating systems. It is just the right thing to do all around.

In other news, due to the slow turn around of ESET in addressing this issue, we have begun to transition our clients to another solution as their licenses expire and the our clients are pleased with our proactive care rather than dealing with another 'bug' or anomaly, so that they can continue to be productive.

It is sad, I really liked the small footprint of ESET, but within the last year with their partner demands, lack of support, and having to use their uninstaller to fix/uninstall corrupted installations, has cost us money, I thought they would have been more customer service oriented.

The best freeware AV solution I recommend to folks is MSE, it still rates VERY HIGH in catching malicious content and I would highly recommend it in the interim. I use it at home, with SAS and I have no problems on a Win7 Ult machine. Microsoft did a great job with this.

20. michelle911

michelle911 Registered Member

I was having the same problem with Outlook 2010 x64 & am using eset smart security x64 4.2.64.12 on Windows 7 x64. I went into eset and disabled/unchecked the "scan on read mail" and it worked for me - even after a restart of outlook. Thanks to these forums I got that fixed! I hope a better solution comes along though......

21. cwbills

cwbills Registered Member

I hope that this is not Eset's advice to actually disable protection provided by their product... :doubt:

22. cool1007

Disabling scanning on read doesn't actually cripple ESET, since you have to actually execute a file attachment to try and infect your PC; the other modules of ESET remain active and will pick it up before that happens, even if you disable scan on read. This is my understanding of how ESET works. Also, if you prefer to have more peace of mind, the other option "Remove from server when deleted from Deleted items", also fixes the crash without disabling any component in ESET.

I wish a better fix would be implemented, and soon.

23. cwbills

I'm new here and this topic brought me to the forums.

Is there a place to follow what ESET is doing about issues? Timeline to fixes, etc?

24. Walker Corps

Walker Corps Registered Member

25. cwbills

What about a fix for this issue that was never present before this updated version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.