Panda Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yes. It's almost worth the price of the product itself, to have that cute little panda in your taskbar. :p

2. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Ha Ha Ha :D

Yes it does have a little Panda icon in the tray...:p

3. AvinashR

Now after installing VirtualBOX 3.1.8.63149, PandaSafeBrowser.exe start downloading a Linux Operating System, so that we can run Panda Safe Browser ..SAFELY :D:D:D

Attached Files:

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

What a pathetic method for sandboxing.

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

They really must be kidding the professionals who might intend to pay a bit more to use a free product.

6. icr

icr Registered Member

It would be good if pbust would comment on this procedure of sandboxing(Panda safe browsing to be precise):)

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

It emulates an entire OS? Just to browse the web? :blink: :blink:

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I personally like that idea, if it's a different OS Keyloggers won't be able to access it. As long as it is light and works why worry about how it is done?

9. Azade

Azade Registered Member

Joking I Hope !

10. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Because it's like shooting a bird with a missle launcher.

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

No I am not joking it is a interesting approach which has never been done before.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I LOL'ed :D
    HAHAHAHAHA that was funny xD

13. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

If it's a well-secured, minimal Linux install, and if they're using a version of VirtualBox that works on your OS, that's actually a very good approach. Add an anonymous VPN to the VM, and you're set. Well, almost. You'd want to block saving changes to that VM.

14. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Just installed it. Not sure I like the Black and Blue scheme but I think thats subjective. The UI was REAAALLL slow to come up the first time. Took almost 5 minutes. Not sure what it was doing. Then it download 17MB of god knows what. Then it takes forever with this message "The file is being reconstructed". What the hell is it doing.

In general the UI is really slow. You click on an option on the left "Antivirus", Firewall etc, and it takes 2-3 seconds for the dialog to popup.

I download and ran a few threats from MDL, none were detected. Then I when under Unknown Threats and noticed that Behavioral Analysis was OFF!!! Is this the default that Panda is planning on shipping with ? If so, the product appears pretty useless. Once I enabled this option, its detection rate was much better.

15. icr

icr Registered Member

It has downloaded the updates and then its saving the defs in your HDD

Very much strange coz I guess the option was ticked by default when in 2010 version:doubt:

16. AvinashR

I am not sure what to comment on your wordings, but for layman, this not the right choice for a sandbox browser. Everything is vulnerable whether it is Virtual OS or Sandbox... But still i wonder why they choose a lengthy way, instead they can provide us Sandbox feature like SandboxIE or Google Chrome Sandbox...

Why VirtualBOX and then Linux OS to run a Safe Sandbox browser? Really strange this time ... :rolleyes:

17. AvinashR

Are you sure it is light? When this would be executed, VirtualBOX will eat your RAM and even running OS inside VirtualBOX also need RAM from your Host system... Everything would go beyond 150 MB RAM ...

So i am not sure if it would be light...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Installing VirtualBOX and then downloading huge Linux OS for safe browsing does not seems right choice from Panda Security. It will be extra load on user HDD, RAM, and Processor. Not a good decision by Panda executives and developers. Moreover, there will be extra need to keep both VirtualBOX and Linux OS updated and maintained. I also can expect Linux OS will be without any protection (antivirus/firewall). Other antiviruses like Kaspersky, Avast, and Comodo include sandbox technology, which is worth and more useful than Panda choice. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 has extended sandbox to complete desktop for even better security as well as support running default browser in its own sandbox.

19. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I think it was cheaper and easier them to put VirtualBox in their product instead of building their own sandbox technology.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

True :rolleyes:

21. AvinashR

But its good to see that, at-least they haven't integrated this in their Main setup, they kept it as an optional protection. So it is only and totally depends upon the user whether he would like to use this additional/optional feature or not... :)

Rest if i talk about the product, i have found it quite good. Light On System-Resources with Good Detection Rate.. :thumb:

22. icr

icr Registered Member

How many processes do panda have that runs in your task manager:) (just wanted to know)

23. AvinashR

FYI, Panda AV Pro 2011 with Firewall running on Windows XP SP3 (Updated)

Attached Files:

24. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Only 11 running processes with 134 MB RAM usage for computer protection :eek:

KIS 2011 CF1 (full suite) running only two processes (avp.exe) with 20 MB RAM usage only.

25. AvinashR

You calculated the WRONG figure man... Calculate the third Column/Row (Whatever u call) ... That's the "IDLE Memory" usage .. About 3.45 MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.