Installing new version over?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by 1Jnodder, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Jnodder

1Jnodder Registered Member

:blink: I'm not sure how to do this: You can download the new build from the download page and install it over the current version.

In the past I've always removed the old version of NOD32 first after I have downloaded and saved the new version. Then I check for the folders being deleted that they recomend and install the saved the new version. I've changed versions. Installing the new version over the old one sounds a lot easier. How is this done? I'm new to computers please forgive my lack of experience here.

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

If you update version from within the same major version it should not be any problem (Like: 4.0.x to 4.2.x goes OK).

Just double click the installer and follow the instructions, it will remove/install aka upgrade automatically.

3. 1Jnodder

What I'm getting at here is to install the new version over the old version instead of saving the new version removing the old one and then installing the new one. Maybe you download the new version with old one still installed and operating and just hit "Run" instead of save on the download? Is this how one would install over? I've always removed the old version first on the advice of the eset knowledge base articles. If the moderators recomend installing over the old one then it shouldn't be necessary to remove the old one but I want to make sure of how to install over before I do it. I'm running 4.2.40 and will be updating to 4.2.58. Thanks for the input here...Jeff

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Jeff,

If you are installing a current version over a previous version product of the same generation (i.e. version 4 product) it is okay to install over the top as you say by downloading and selecting run. We recommend uninstalling your previous version if you plan on installing a different generation product (i.e. currently have version 3 and want to install version 4). I hope that this helps.

It may be beneficial for some to download the product and save it before selecting to run the install. This is good because you will have the msi install file on your computer as a safety in case you need it for whatever reason.

Thank you,
    Richard

5. 1Jnodder

Thanks, Rmuffler I'm clear now on just what to do. I've been removing the old version for no good reason (making a mountain out of a molehill). I must have missed the part about removing the old one only when you have a generation change in the knowledge base article. Thanks for this most helpful forum too. I'll disable SpyBot, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender before installing 4.2.58...Jeff

6. 1Jnodder

I followed this path described by Richard updated both of my computers and
    No problems so far. Thanks again.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The reasons for not recommending installation over an older version are as follows:
    1, if you're having issues stemming from improper configuration of the ESET product, these wouldn't be solved by installing a newer version as the settings would be preserved.
    2, new drivers will not load before the next computer restart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.